It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, introducer of transcendental meditation, dead at 91

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, introducer of transcendental meditation, dead at 91

ap.google.com

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, a guru to the Beatles who introduced the West to transcendental meditation, died Tuesday at his home in the Dutch town of Vlodrop, a spokesman said. He was thought to be 91 years old.
"He died peacefully at about 7 p.m.," said Bob Roth, a spokesman for the Transcendental Meditation movement that the Maharishi founded. He said his death appeared to be due to "natural causes, his age."
Once dismissed as hippie mysticism, the Hindu practice of mind control that Maharishi taught, called transcendental meditation, gradually gained medical respectability.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I've never thought one way or the other about M.M. Yogi, and only had passing knowledge of TM. I knew that some people (mostly celebrities) had practiced it and have heard it can produce amazing results.

Being leery of the practices of groups of celebrities (see Scientology) I never gave it much thought, that is until tonight.

I took a trip to Barnes & Noble today and was browsing for nothing in particular when I came upon a book by filmmaker David Lynch. A small book, in length and actual size, it is titled:

Catching The Big Fish ; Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity.

Interesting title I thought; I've always admired Lynch, not a HUGE fan, but Eraserhead was and is one of my favorite mind-blowing films, one of those to get stoned too and let ones mind sort of "check out".

That being said, it was buy 2 get 1 free, it was my number 3 and off to the checkout I went.

Later tonight I opened it up and began reading. The book is more one or two page quick stories or thoughts and the intro explained Lynch's use of TM for over 30 years and how it helped him (as he explained it) to shed the smelly, rubber clown suit that he was living in.

I read for awhile and then closed the book, opened the laptop and googled TM to see what I had to do to give it a try. I found the main website, and was just perusing various writings, testimonials, etc. when I happened upon this news source.

Could be a coincidence, or not. I just felt a tinge of inner connection after a series of odd events got me to buy a book I wouldn't normally,
and to consider meditation as a way of relaxation and overall better health. Then to see the link of M.M. Yogi's passing made me think.

Did it all happen for a reason? Should I pursue learning TM as a way to get in touch with my inner self? Is Barnes & Nobles a cosmic conduit that I should spend more time in?

I'm interested in hearing anyone else's experiences (good or bad) and thoughts on TM as a tool in bettering one's health and mental well being.

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has had negative experiences as well, I've heard that the fee for getting started in TM is upwards of $2500 (US). So anyone promising salvation for a price always gets my BS meter ringing like crazy.

ap.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join