It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Q and A

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by trustnobody
I thought ATS was a think tank of people that encouraged folks to think for themselves, and make their own judgments of what is being posted. Does this mean all topics that can not be proven will be removed from ATS? I am really disappointed.

Regards
Trustnobody

Not all topics, but generally claims such as these we like to have some form of verification. But not always.
You'll find that if a thread gains a bit of popularity, the call for verification often becomes louder and stronger. That's when mods sometimes step in.
This usually happens if members don't debunk first.

Sometimes no verification is needed, or cannot be verified. Such as someone claiming to be a time traveller. All the posters can do then is just bicker and debate on the information provided to them by the OP for pages on end.

But something in regards to someone working somewhere etc, which can be verified, will be called upon to be verified.

Then of course theres people like sleeper, who have managed to gather enough popularity and a large enough thread to bypass the whole process.

Generally the rules are:
Alien encounters - Not as much intervention by mods for verification, as it can't be.
GL/Area 51 posters - Can be verified, so it's called upon to be.

I can't see how you're disappointed with this, as it's all that can be done to keep the quality and truthfulness of threads at high standards and levels.

Do you have any idea how difficult it must be to keep a conspiracy forum from going to hell and being overrun by loons?

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by T0by

thanks T0by, I think you've summed up this process the best.
cant really find too many ways to argue with what you posted.
it has always been ATS's policy to try and maintain honest and truthful threads to the best of our ability.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I hate when I think of something else to say after I've posted!!!

I'm not sure how the point syste works, but I would have been glad to have participated in the chat with no_one.

but here's my other point. Sure, there's private security firms guarding parts of 51. That's been verified. However, in my exparience, all the debriefings I was privy to, involved MILLITARY PERSONNEL. Not a civillian.

And that was usually "run of the mill" debriefs.

I would imagine that at a place such as 51, a HIGH RANKING OFFICER would do the cool down, NOT some outside company.

I remember thinking this when I read the debriefing posts he typed. But, I DO drink alot of beer, and forgot what I was going to say at the time.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I applaud what was done. I know some people don't like it because they want everyone to make their own mind up, but how does that make ATS look as a whole?

Say I make up a story. I am the doctor who performed the alien autopsy. But, I can't prove who I am, that I am even a doctor, where I did it..ect ect. 80% of the people think (correctly) that I am full of crap. Now, that 20%. They are new, they don't know any better. They believe it and spread the word to others.

Now, say you are listening to that same person tell you how they read about some guy who cut up some dead alien on ATS web site? Most people would associate "out there" with the web site instead of the poster.

I used to work at a drug testing facility. The biotech we have is amazing. What the general public has is a joke compared to it. If I began to go into specifics, I don't have a problem proving I work there. All the documents I signed show clearly what I can, and cannot say (even in the USAF). Nothing forbid me to state WHERE I worked (federal tax laws overide so much). It's the specific job s) and information contained within that is protected.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by j_goose

First off- Semper Fi, and welcome to ATS brother... former 13th MEU marine here. I got to this site in much the same manner you did, and have been enjoying it ever since.

In answer to the points- the more you post, the more points. The BETTER your posts, the more points. Read the handbook. I don't care a lick about points, maybe I will some day.

To get into the chat last night, you needed at least 200 posts. That's what I've been led to understand anyway. Again, I don't care- I got in. Details, details.

I agreed with what you said about debriefs... If you look through the thread, the majority of my questions posed to the OP were job related, and indeed specifically methods/means of the debriefs at gl. I like to think I've gone through enough of them to know when somebody is trying to pull my leg. Sadly, he chose to only answer one of my posts directly.

I feel that the way to expose a shyster is to play their game, on their terms for a time. Not to openly cry foul at the first opportunity... but to give them enough rope that they are able to hang themselves. That is what I was trying to accomplish.

Looks like I won't get my chance this time, oh well, more will come.

Again, welcome to ATS brother.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Not that anyone cares, but I am of the opinion that this thread was in fact a hoax. I will not fully explain why, but there was one thing the OP wrote that would have never been written by someone truly concerned about their anonymity. ( I wont specifically state what that is on the off chance I am wrong and the OP just made a serious mistake-- however unlikely. )

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513

13th MEU...was that Radio Recon and SOC?

Thanks for the welcome. without hijacking, (there's not much going on in this thread right now anyway) When were you in? I went in 1989 and got a med discharge 1n '94. Funny story, I was playing football at Hansen and blew out my knee.....couldn't march or run for any real distance anymore.

I should tell people I gt shot.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513

And then there were three.

A big ooorah to Goose and cbianchi from a fellow jarhead. Yup a 4302 PAO here. Finished up at MCRD San Diego after time @ Miramar and in country for the first Gulf.

Not derailing just a hello to my Brothers. Take care men.

Becker

[edit on 11-2-2008 by Becker44]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Gotta go to work. I'll be around later

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by j_goose

Radio recon, yes. SOC varied with deployment and if we got certified "SOC". I never totally grasped that.

Went through PISC in '93-wasn't issued sunglasses and tanning lotion like you "Hollywoods".

Went back to PI as a close combat instructor in '96, then back to 13th MEU in time for the "fun" to start in '01. Second time around I was in the command element (CE) in an intel countermeasures capacity. (I had the bad jugement to learn a few languages). That was it for me, didn't re-enlist as I've seen enough for two lifetimes. I'm sure they'll call if they need me.

Still in all, it was/is an honor and privelege to serve in the only undefeated combat force in the world. OOrah!

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy

I dont care is this thread was interesting and you wanted to hear what he had to say, if its not real then it doesnt belong on ATS!

So... Everything on ATS (and SkunkWorks) is REAL?

I haven't actually seen anything in any of the forums (much less SkunkWorks) that can be proven as real. I am not saying these things aren't real, but I thought the whole point of conspiracy theories is that they are THEORIES.

Hell, I am not even sure you are real.

If nothing else it was an interesting thread.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
it was interesting until the arrogance of "the powers that be" took control and stopped the thread

yeah and these are the same mods who let sleeper go on for years and let john lear pretty much say anything.

hey, i thought this was skunkworks.

the arrogance of some of the people around here is totally out of control.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

lol, if im not real, then thats a conspiracy in itself.

anyway, the point im making is that ATS tries its best to be legit.
Yes most things on here are theories, and yes many things are fake and hoaxes, BUT this thread in particular is different because there is no theory behind it.
The topics on this thread have been stated as fact.
now that thats established, we have to decide if the poster is telling the truth, because if he's not then we are being fed bullocks.

so to answer your question, no, i dont think everything on ATS is real or fact, but we do try our hardest to get rid of the ones we find out.
Thats why proven hoaxes are given the words :HOAX: in the title once they are figured out.

Thats one of the reasons i think this site is different from that of others, we get more than just one side of the story.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Maybe this is what happens when someone comes to close to the truth? Obviously this site is monitored by "The Man". If I owned a site like this I would panic also and delete a user that maybe jeopardizing my personal safety. I would hate to see anyone hurt over an internet discussion. Lets face it there nothing we can do, and no such thing as freedom.

Best Regards,
Trustnobody

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

I guess that makes sense. :-)

I have to admit the thread would have been 1000% more exciting if a mod said, "We can verify who he says he is."

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Speaking strictly as a three year lurker... yes, a "nobody", really:
Kudos to odessy especially... thank you for illuminating the point.
Skunkworks or no, you don't come here and think you can throw down a story like this (mind you, stating it's NOT fiction or a "what if" from the get go) and expect that the human beings in charge of this site are NOT going to make darn sure you cannot (or will not) back up your bs.
.bottom line...
these are very serious allegations ( no duh!), and i for one am still wondering what on earth no_one expects (expected) us to do with this very inflammatory info.
I may not trust my government completely, but i can guarantee you i love my people...if i have to look like a total crack pot and take one for the team, as it were, i would be pretty close to first in line to disclose what i heard here, provided i could find an authority i could TRUST...ahh... therein lies the rub...lol...and of course, there's zero tangible evidence....
Finally, a good theory with some meat to it, and darn it all, not enuff to run with...curses...! foiled again!!!
Always a bridesmaid...never a bride...chuckle...
here's hoping that this works itself out for the best, for no_one, and for ATS...
Salut!

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by althea041724
i for one am still wondering what on earth no_one expects (expected) us to do with this very inflammatory info.

Ditto.

In fact, this is a problem I have generally with threads like this one. What is the purpose of 'whistle-blowing' if not to prevent the wrongdoing or to limit its effects?

Answers along the lines of "I need this off my chest" seem utterly meaningless to me. "Well, good for you," I tend to think, "tell it to a priest."

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by trustnobody

Yeah, that was EXACTLY what I was thinking. Maybe someone "In the know" did find out about this leak and ATS was contacted and it was time to seal the leak. Easiest way of doing that is asking for unrealistic proof from a person wanting to remaining anoymous at all costs, including the risk of not being fully believed! Everyone knows 817 isn't going to take the time to photocopy and blackout parts of a work ID to satisfy non-believers or moderators of these forums!

Little too close to the truth? Probably....guess we'll all take him more seriously after it happens, huh? The chain of events that happened here on ATS, yet people were still asking why 817 doesn't inform Congress directly...such a waste of time! If it was/is being planned then it will probably happen and there is nothing that can be done to stop it because it isn't going to be covered on your mainstream local news or even on a "wacked-out conspiracy theory" forum, that now apparently is no-longer honoring free-speech! I am truely disappointed, this is censorship anyway you look at it.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I think I may have mentioned earlier about persons more intelligent and eloquent than myself. Here he/she is- www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by althea041724

See, I think you have a very valid point.

If someone were to come on and say, "I was visited by aliens last night"

That is one thing....and quite innocent in its nature.

But to come on and proclaim to this board (the World) that you have been part of the planning fora plot to create a major terror event that our Govt is going to do to its own people............AND....the plot to assassinate one of the Presidential runners....

That is an entirely different thing.

by no_one817

All really good questions. The plan will be able to prevent the election because one of the people in the election might not be there in the end if you understand what I mean. That along with a 'terrorist attack' that coincides with it. A terrorist will claim responsibility for both events. The reason I see fit to say something is I cannot and sit wand watch as my country falls apart. Yes I am a culprit, I perpetuated the plan by being apart of it. I have my own morals I have to deal with. I see this as one step towards redeeming myself being able to look at fellow man in the eyes

Im not sure why some people cant see that? The nature of his revelation - that he claims to be part of - is alarming. It is not innocent.

He is not claiming to see a UFO. He is claiming that he knows about a plot of terror against US citizens and possible assassination of someone running for President.

If this doesnt require a swift move by the owner's of this site....then I dont know what ever could.

[edit on 11-2-2008 by greeneyedleo]

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join