It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators Consider Drug Testing Candidates in South Carolina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Senators Consider Drug Testing Candidates in South Carolina

www.foxnews.com

COLUMBIA, S.C. — People filing for public office would also have to submit to drug testing if legislators concerned about the fallout of former state Treasurer Thomas Ravenel's admission of coc aine use of have their way.
Senate Republican Leader Harvey Peeler filed his bill a day after news broke that Ravenel had been indicted on a federal coc aine conspiracy charge. The June indictment came just six months after the Republican Charleston real estate developer took office. He has since pleaded guilty and is awaiting sentencing.
"The reason I introduced this bill was in response to my constituents' outcry over our state treasurer and his situation," said Peeler, R-Gaffney, who took a drug test himself to get a commercial drivers' license. "It just makes sense to me that elected officials must first pass the drug test."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I am glad that they are drug testing the officials. I see it as kind of like a lie detector. If you are using illegal drugs , how can we trust you in office? I like this method better than looking up their criminal history, because If drugs are in their system, they are guilty of being bad right then, instead of like being charged with a DWI 10 years ago.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't happened already. I know a lot of people who work for the government and they are subject to a drug test at any time. Why should politicians not be subject to the same?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ChilledVoodoo

It seems like a good idea.

Pretty much every other government office requires drug testing, why not the lawmakers?

They seem like the most likely candidates for such testing in the first place. They make the drug laws, yet they're not liable for prosecution for those said laws? Bull#!

I think these guys are trying to cover their asses with all the coked up politicians running around these days...

Not a surprise at all...Just trying to cover their tracks.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Instead of giving them a taste of their own medicine maybe they should abolish ridiculous drug policies.

An employee should be judged on performance, not on what they do for fun away from the office.

new topics

top topics

join