It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK PM Brown pushing for New stop-and-search 'without reason' laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

UK PM Brown pushing for New stop-and-search 'without reason' laws

news.bbc.co.uk

Prime Minister Gordon Brown is planning to give police the power to stop and search people without giving a reason, sources have told the BBC.
It comes as Tory leader David Cameron urged greater use of stop and search to combat gun and knife crime.

The two leaders clashed earlier in the Commons with Mr Cameron urging Mr Brown to scrap forms officers must fill in when they stop someone.

Mr Brown said the Flanagan Report on the issue will be published next week.

Labour has been locked in a war of words with the Conservatives over stop and search, with the two parties promoting apparently similar policies.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Sounds like Brown wants to catch up with the U.S.' police-state activities. This should make him further adored. lol

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-2-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

love the spin.

Here's the real policy:

The powers - which have been trialled in four pilot areas - will be limited to a 24 hour period within specific area where there is reason to believe serious crime is being committed.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I would of thought they can do this anyway. Him and tony blair, are so much for this nanny state, its untrue.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This is a huge step back from personal liberties.

Im not really in the know when it comes to british politics, so I ask those that are, what are the chances of such legistlation getting passed?

I feel for you brits, I really do...

Edit to add: Just saw the update that budski posted. And although it releaves some of my initial concerns, its still going to lead to, what I would consider, unlawful search of private citizens. You cant help it if your in the vacinity of a crime.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
They already do this from my experience lol.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

They already do it.
All they need is an excuse.

Example - when I first moved back down to cornwall I was stopped without any REAL reason quite a few times, simply because I was a new face.

They just made excuses like "someone answering your descrition was seen behaving suspiciously"

I didn't mind that much - I have nothing to hide

That said, I did ask them why, and they responded - even though they were lying.

[edit on 5/2/2008 by budski]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
More news related to this:

'Stop and search or face losing your job,' police told

POLICE officers have been threatened with the sack if they do not carry out enough stop-and-searches, it has been claimed.

Two British Transport Police (BTP) officers have claimed they are under pressure to meet unofficial targets to stop and search travellers in the wake of last year's Glasgow Airport terror attacks.

The anonymous whistleblowers claim senior Scottish BTP officers have been sent an e-mail from a Glasgow-based inspector, Vincent Smith, stressing the importance of the searches.

According to a report yesterday, the e-mail stated: "(Assistant Chief Constable] Pacey has indicated, officers not complying with his instructions will be moved from their posts or even disciplined to the level of losing their jobs."

The BTP said it had no record of this e-mail but admitted the inspector and Mr Pacey had sent e-mails encouraging officers to carry out their duties under the terror laws.

A spokesman also insisted no stop-and-search targets existed and denied the suggestion that too much pressure was being exerted by senior officers.

The claims have triggered human rights concerns. An Equality and Human Rights Commission spokesman said: "If these claims are true, it is disturbing."

In December The Scotsman revealed how police had carried out 14,000 stop-and- searches since the Glasgow attack in June.

Full story:
news.scotsman.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This used to happen to me in the seventies when I was a teenage hippy(Admittedly justified, as I was a bit dodgy in those days).
Now there's cameras spying on us everywhere we go, I would have thought they would be able to see a potential problem and home in on it, but it seems to be more about doing it to intimidate.
Gordon Brown seems a bit too sneaky quiet and low-profile for my liking, as was Blair.
New laws seem to appear out of nowhere these days, having been ushered in through various back doors without people noticing.
How long before we're all fitted with biochips, and unable to access bank accounts, public buildings, computers, public transport.....etc.....without them?
Soon we won't even be able to fart without them fining us for depleting the ozone layer.

top topics

join