It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama wants to delay mission to the Moon by at least 5 years!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I just called Barack Obama's campaign headquarters and asked them about some internet articles I had read talking about how Obama isn't a big fan of space and his plans to cut NASA funding if elected President of the United States.

Here's the articles:

www.cjr.org...

There was also an article on Space News web site but it's been taken down for some unknown reason.

They told me that he does indeed have a plan to delay any NASA mission to the Moon or Mars for at least 5 years in order to pay for his education budget. I told them I didn't like that and hung up.

I just want to get this out there so everyone knows. I won't be voting for Obama now. I was going to vote either Obama or Clinton, now I'll be voting for Clinton because I know she is for space exploration.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I have been saying this for years to mostly deaf ears: "If we can put a MAN on the MOON, why can't we put a MAN on the MOON???

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Space exploration is our future!

If this is true, I wouldn't vote for him if I lived in the USA. I mean come on!?
All that money on war could be used for space exploration.

I'm not sure if it would be wise voting for Hillary thou, with all those connections she has to dodgy stuff.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I was told this straight from his campaign. I'll be voting for Hillary Clinton in my state's primary today.

Not a fan of space exploration??? You won't get my vote.

We put a man on the Moon in the 1960's. Why can't we do it 40+ years later?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think all of the long term readers here know how passionate I am for space Exploration. I not only think that it is our destiny, but the only real hope for our crowded species to survive. We must have access to the universe at large.

Still, the presidency is one small part of the grand scheme of things. Enough representatives of the people calling for a renewed space agenda will outweigh one man's idea, even if he becomes the President of the US. Just too, if he were pro exploration, the money still has to come from Congress.

What is more important than one small man's position is the changing of attitudes. We need to spread the idea that this world just isn't big enough for all of us. That we need the Solar System, and then the stars.

We need to enlist the environmentalist and the economics guru and the patriot and the humanitarian, We need to counter the words of one little man that wants to be a leader of one nation, with the wisdom of the masses. The wisdom that says because we can dream, because we know that dreams must become reality, we must have the stars.

His time, however long or short, will come and go. But the dream of a our destiny among the stars is a flower of the heart and soul of our species, and it will not die.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Not only this but space is just simply beautiful!

There is so much mystery that it feels like a beautiful dream.

There is so much to learn, so much we don't know about. Just think how this can change our way of thinking, the things we can find and learn from has unlimited potential!

As you can tell I love space too.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by _Phoenix_]

jhh

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
What is the point of continuing space missions if every picture is debunked, nasa refuses to color mars using true colors, and nobody wants to see cydonia close up?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jhh

It's the leak in the dike perspective. It doesn't matter one whit about all the pictures. As long as these things remain somewhat the focus of humans, then their eyes remain on the skies and what is beyond. We're leaking into space.

The tide of humanity knows that it has nowhere to go, that it is hemmed in on all sides except up. Politicians and their petty institutions can debunk till the cows come home, but man has a biological need for room to expand. And the only place left is to expand into space.

Those who seek control, seek it on terms they understand. They have the past to guide them, and in that past there is only the Earth. So they think only in the terms they know, and seek to stifle every other voice. But they are only putting their finger in the dike, and to no avail.

Even rats give in to biology. And in this area, biology is on the side of expansion.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
im pretty sure space isn't going anywhere. now education, that's a different story.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I think that space exploration is very very important but.........

Given the size of the national debt, the state of education these days, infrastructure, etc. We may need to spend the next decade reprioritizing our expendatures. The mission to Mars is something we need to acomplish, part of our ongoing "Manifest Destiny" as it were, but we also need to be realistic and also take care of the hear and now in addition to investing in the future.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I find it amazing, that the media are wanting this guy to win. How does he create change, other than hes black, his voting record is like hillarys, so what is the difference he will bring.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

As much as I hate to disagree with my esteemed friend, I must. We will always have Earthly problems of one sort or another. "The poor will always be with you" analogy.

But when we look at the cause of the problems, the logical best solution is to remove a portion of humanity off Earth. In the 1500s and 1600s, right through today, the pressure on nations caused dissidents and others to seek a new life in the new world. Europe and Asia are still expelling (de facto) those that want more than their homeland can provide. This is nature seeking a solution to shrinking resources and opportunities.

It is shortsighted to think that correcting the problems of today will make for less problems tomorrow, as long as the kettle of overpopulation boils here on Earth. The steam of a growing population will require the escape to some other point. And places here on Earth are becoming fewer and fewer with each passing day.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsHumanNature
I have been saying this for years to mostly deaf ears: "If we can put a MAN on the MOON, why can't we put a MAN on the MOON???

What I would be asking is: Why did we destroy the blueprints and the vehicles for getting to the Moon? From a government point of view; we were in a space race with the USSR. With that race going back and forth for years, what was the motive for destroying your means of getting back to the Moon?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Obama Clarifies Space Policy

Good lord, people, at least do a Google Search before you hang a man out to dry!

From Space Politics.com

Obama’s policy director in New Hampshire, said Obama “will work to strengthen American leadership in space” and that he “believes that the United States needs a strong space program to help it maintain its superiority not only in space, but here on earth in the realms of education, technology, and national security.”

Most importantly, Ellman clarifies what Obama meant by delaying Constellation by five years:

Obama believes we should continue developing the next generation of space vehicles, and complete the international space station. While Obama would delay plans to return to moon and push on to mars, Obama would continue unmanned missions, and use NASA to monitor the forces and effects of climate change, support scientific research, and maintain surveillance to strengthen national security. Obama also believes we need to keep weapons out of space.

That is considerably different than what his original statement sounded like: rather than an additional five-year post-shuttle gap, this approach would appear to permit the continued development of a new launch vehicle and spacecraft (be it Ares/Orion or some alternative), but put on hold anything that would be used for lunar missions and beyond. That puts his approach closer to what Hillary Clinton proposed in October, although she did not endorse any specific delay in human lunar missions.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Whats wrong with you??????

WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANYONE VOTE FOR HILLARY???

Clinton-Bushes are related...the reason why this country has so many problems is because of its leaders-

You voting for hillary for her space exploration purposes are ridiculous- Nasa is a front anyways...its all to fake the public out- this is a well documented fact by officials. You dont have to worry about space exploration- the gov't will carry on with or without your approval.

Hillary....ewwwwwww

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow_Lord

What I would be asking is: Why did we destroy the blueprints and the vehicles for getting to the Moon?

I suspect the blueprints for the beercans and tin foil covered hatboxes that we "went to the Moon" in were destroyed because eventually somebody would question the validity of these designs.

My personal veiw is that the Moon mission was real, only it was we as a society who" Went to the Moon" collectively when it comes to using our common sense.

In 1903 the Wright brothers flew on a flimsy canvas covered airplane with a homemade engine. We are told that 66 years later we stepped on the Moon. Now we are supposed to believe that 60 years will lapse before we are able to do this again. It is absurd.

sty

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

the national debdt of US is fictive. the FED makes money and lend them to the government . Banks are using the "fractional reserve" system - they can give away 10 x times more money than what they actually have - they create money from NOTHING.
Here is a video I posted about money :

www.belowtopsecret.com...'

so, US will not go on the moon because the bankers said so ? where in the world are the 9 000 000 000 $ from? who created them and how?

I love astronomy & space exploration but my believe is that we will not progress unless the finacial system is re-built on other values and ideeas. Obama does not undertstand it and Clinotn belongs to the banking cartel . Not very much choice.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhh
What is the point of continuing space missions if every picture is debunked

You can't debunk a picture. A picture is a document reflecting the object we observe. However, it is possible and I think necessary to debunk speculations and imagination run wild scenarios when somebody insists that there is a fortress on Mars in a particular pic, and also an "aquatic capable" spacecraft on the Moon and an alien community center.

If you want to see the color of Mars, get yourself a telescope.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I know the moderators despise the one line statements, but sometimes the simplest things can be said in short space and that would be:

" One can be so heavenly minded (space exploration) that they are of no earthy good."

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Hear hear!

My feeling along political lines is that it won't be government that gets us up into space. It will be corporations. As much as I would like by the people for the people to be a part of it, I don't think it will happen that way. At least not in the US with NASA. Our country is just too entrenched in empire building and maintenance that, I can't really see space initiatives from a government standpoint that does not reflect a large focus on the military. The more modern space agencies like the ESA and JAXA, even India's ISRO, China's CNSA may end up more committed to manned space exploration than NASA. At least this is the way things seem to me now. Anyway, I'd love for the US, and not just transnational corporations that are based in the US, to lead the way for manned space exploration. But the future seems bleak in that regard. However, the future seem very bright with other nations coming on board and doing their part to get us off of this rock -- beautiful though it is.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join