It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: 52% Canadians see U.S. as a negative force in the world

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
When we do bring our troops home prematurely and the Islamic fanatics regain strength and the entire regions over ran by Iran, I'll be advocating our troops pack the Canadians backpacks while you go show U.S how to take care of freedom haters that give money to suicide bombers family's and harbor them while they plan their next terror plot.

Talk about pathetic. U.S has bailed the world out numerous times with the lives of our young men and women and financially to the point of bankruptcy, 10 trillion dollars the past 25 years with these 300-500 billion dollar trade deficit's so the rest of the world could have their cost of living increase while ours decrease and this is what we get?

I say bring them home, lock down our borders stop the trade deficits and watch the world as they show U.S how to handle fanatics that think anything not Islamic is evil.

I'm a fun loving person usually but how the Nations have spoken of U.S makes me hate more each day. Yeah I'm really hating right now the help we've given any Nation that speaks ill of U.S. We should start running America like a store for profit instead of the soup kitchen of a World with little to no respect.

You people have a good day because in my book the good days are coming to an end. We Americans don't tolerate back stabbers , you can never trust a backstabber.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cerebrum

Since the American invasion of Iraq, and the subsequent shift of troops and resources from Afghanistan to Iraq, more Canadian soldiers have died than any other combat operation since Korea.

In fact, here is the chart from the US OP Enduring Freedom Webpage.

Coalition Military Fatalities By Year:

Period US Other Total
+ 2008 8 7 15
+ 2007 117 115 232
+ 2006 98 93 191
+ 2005 99 31 130
+ 2004 52 6 58
+ 2003 48 9 57
+ 2002 49 20 69
+ 2001 12 0 12
Total 483 281 764

As you can see, for more than the past two years the world has contributed about on par in terms of "boys lost". If you factor in the size of the US forces present in Afghanistan compared to the other Coalition forces, you would see that soldiers from the rest of the world are dieing at a higher rate than American boys.

So before you get on your high horse about how America saves the world, and how no one else contributes anything, maybe you should think about who is experiencing a higher rate of casualties in a war that is in defense of America. You are the reason so many Canadians support withdrawing our troops, and I thank god that you have no impact on the relations between these two fine countries (sad I have had to say this twice in this thread to various peoples ignorant of North American relations).

Without the rest of the world, Afghanistan would be in shambles, and empty isolationist rhetoric will get you no where. It isn't Spring 1917, and isolationism is a thing of long ago.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division
I think you would be surprised how FAVORABLE the USA actually looks upon Canada, all jokes aside. We, in the USA, probably favor Canada more than Canada favors us.

Canada is an amazing and diverse place. I know more than one person who would be pleased to immigrate to Canada if there was a chance of that.

You've got that correct.

I love Canada....the people, the beautiful scenery.

I've done a bit of travel there and quite frankly, the only really bad thing I can cite about the country is how cold it gets there.

Cold weather is hard on me. But then, with the price of keeping a home warm nowadays, I've been getting more practice in tolerating the cold.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra

What we've seen in America the last 8 years is the systematic deconstruction of civil liberties, the artificial division of Red vs Blue Americans created, the foundation laid for a gestapo-like police state, an illegal war waged against a country that never attacked us, the antagonizing of previously neutral and allied countries, the approved use of torture and political imprisonment, the rise of corporate armies and use of mercenaries by our own government, and the executive branch granting itself immunity from the checks of the other two branches as well as prosecution for any crimes committed.

O.K. I don't usually indulge in multiple posts, however, I can't pass this one by without adding my comments, so here goes. And by the way, a star for you and I wish it could be 'wayabove.'

And while they've been doing all this they have sent in an attack on the domestic front. We are in serious trouble here despite what the PTB are trying to convince the masses of.

Millions of homes lost, banks are shaky, millions who have no health insurance, education in a sorry state, the social safety net with so many holes that the moth already fell through.

Infrastructure in a state of decay while billions more are spent on the war machine. Now, I don't remember where I heard this or perhaps read it, but it was something about the shape of a country when more is spent on making war instead of making the welfare of the citizens really strong. But the outcome was not a good one.

And yet, they keep trying to carry the illusion that the economy is o.k. Maybe it is for some, but it is not for far more than it should be. But they attempt to put a bandaide on it by printing more money which is backed by nothing. Keep it up and it won't be long before it takes a basket of bills to buy a loaf of bread...sound familiar to anyone?

The notion of the American dream, has for many, turned into a fairy tale...or a nightmare, depending on who you talk to.

I love my country. I truly do. I'm a patriot,.. But after watching what's happened to us for the last eight years, I really can't say I would be surprised in the least that any majority in any country would view us as a negative force right now.

Agreed. And for those of us who are old enough to remember the America that used to exist, the damage which has been done has been shocking. How much is it going to take to get that ostrichs' head out of the ground and make him realize that the truck is going to flatten him whether he sees it coming or not?

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Ya brother Wutang i see that, in fact have a read,

Afghanistan

There have been 756 coalition deaths -- 479 Americans, four Australians, 87 Britons, 78 Canadians, one Czech, nine Danes, 14 Dutch, two Estonians, one Finn, 12 French, 22 Germans, 10 Italians, three Norwegians, one Pole, two Portuguese, five Romanians, one South Korean, 23 Spaniards, two Swedes -- in the war on terror as of February 8, 2008.

And,

Iraq

There have been 4,259 coalition deaths -- 3,953 Americans, two Australians, 174 Britons, 13 Bulgarians, one Czech, seven Danes, two Dutch, two Estonians, one Fijian, one Hungarian, 33 Italians, one Kazakh, one Korean, three Latvian, 22 Poles, three Romanians, five Salvadoran, four Slovaks, 11 Spaniards, two Thai and 18 Ukrainians -- in the war in Iraq as of February 8, 2008

I'm thankful for every last one of those men and women that gave up their lives in support of freedom in defiance of tyranny as well as all those injured and remaining in the fight.

Now checkout the worlds military losses the previous 8 years in peace time since you choose to compare America's military to that of the entire democratic World.

For example,
Active duty deaths during Clinton's first four years (1993 - 1996): 4302

Active duty deaths during Bush's first four years (2001 - 2004): 5187

The difference? 885 deaths over four years, or about 221 deaths a year. Of course, during Bush's first four years in office we liberated both Afghanistan and Iraq. What did we accomplish, in terms of military victories, during Clinton's first four years in office?

I'd find a tally of both Presidents last fours years they served but that tallies not yet been compiled.

One final note, I've not criticized any countries military personnels participation in this war. I'm criticizing the thought process that ignoring tyrant's who systematically butcher their own countrymen is good. I'm criticizing the thought process that it's alright to allow a Nation leader to use resources to payoff terrorist families to kill westerners. I'm criticizing the thought process that our troops should be brought home so our Nation can again lose in one day as many American lives as we've lost in nearly 8 years fighting terrorism and very possibly the losses may be greater than we even know once we retreat. I'm criticizing those who say they Love America both my own countrymen and the Nations with their cloven tongues speak hope for defeat and work diligently with hope that it happens to our detriment and to the detriment of the entire world.

We bring our boys home we'll get hit and it will hurt worse then 8 years of cleaning out the trash. and we'll have much sympathy from the Nations. Mark those words.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

That might be true, but only 25% of eligible Canadians on average vote. So much for the validity of these polls.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cynic

I'm going way out on a limb here, you didn't read the thread, right?

Btw, some straws that can be grasped are VERY short.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join