It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: 52% Canadians see U.S. as a negative force in the world

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

You want to play tit for tat? Kind of dumb, really, but without our know-how, consumers and investment you wouldn't even have an economy. And last time I looked, we had quite a few forests with lots of trees right here, so ...

This is too dumb, I'm not playing anymore.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mescalero
reply to post by centurion1211

Maybe we should take a poll in the U.S. to see how many people think canada is even relevant - to anything. Wonder what those numbers would say?

I think you would be surprised how FAVORABLE the USA actually looks upon Canada, all jokes aside. We, in the USA, probably favor Canada more than Canada favors us.

Canada is an amazing and diverse place. I know more than one person who would be pleased to immigrate to Canada if there was a chance of that.

Canada is relevant to the USA. We don't always let on about that. But be assured. Canada is cool! That is why so many USA citizens, visiting overseas, pretend they are from Canada. (Well -- there are various reasons for that.
)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Yeah one of the largest free trade zones in the world in which more goods and capital flow over than almost any other border in the world is worth nothing. The US would be fine without what it brings to the table. Are you serious?!?!?

Do you have even basic understanding of economics?
That post was horribly ignorant of even some of the most basic economic issues in the context of North American development.

Thank God American politicians and ambassadors are more informed on the two nations' respective interdependencies than you are.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by SolPower

Hey but it's Super Tuesday, let see what happens. Might be a turning point. For the Americans and the rest of the world. Might not, let's wait and see.

I hope so! I think we're long overdue for some changes.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I just want to say that, as an American, I value Canada's opinion, and am glad we have them as a military, cultural, and economic ally. Now, as Kaminski so esoterically pointed out, polls can be deceiving, and generally have some sort of agenda behind them. However, I certainly would not be surprised if half (or more) of all Canadians felt our country was headed towards the dark side of the force, because, frankly, we are.

What we've seen in America the last 8 years is the systematic deconstruction of civil liberties, the artificial division of Red vs Blue Americans created, the foundation laid for a gestapo-like police state, an illegal war waged against a country that never attacked us, the antagonizing of previously neutral and allied countries, the approved use of torture and political imprisonment, the rise of corporate armies and use of mercenaries by our own government, and the executive branch granting itself immunity from the checks of the other two branches as well as prosecution for any crimes committed.

Now I'm sorry, but even a patriot like me is forced to take a step back and wonder "just what the hell happened to our great nation?" How, in only 8 years, did we manage to go from being a force of good in the world, to becoming the middle chapters of an Orwellian novel? How is it that our citizenry just grabbed their ankles and allowed it to happen?

Were they too busy with their chicken wings, American Idol, and Ebay? Was it the fear of a Omnipowerful Government that they saw on X-Files and Men In Black? Was it sheer ignorance brought about by accepting Faux News and O'Reilley propaganda? Was it that no one thought that a President who couldn't even manage to correctly state the phrase "When the going get tough, the tough get going", could be competent enough to actually do anything of true harm to the country? What was it that happened? I'd really like to know, because, frankly, I'm completely at a disgusted loss with My Fellow Americans right now.

I love my country. I truly do. I'm a patriot, an Eagle Scout, a registered and active voter, and recognize that I am truly blessed to have been born in the day and age and place where I was, because it could have been so much worse. But after watching what's happened to us for the last eight years, I really can't say I would be surprised in the least that any majority in any country would view us as a negative force right now.

Lashing out at Canada, just because they had the balls to point out the blatantly obvious, is childish at best, and ignorant at worst.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by thelibra

Star to you my friend, well put.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SolPower

With the 'pre-selected' corporation / military-industrial complex serving list of candidates we have been given, there will be little to no change. There is not a single candidate up there that is not serving the same masters as the Bush regime. Our illusion of 'choice' is just that-pure illusion.

And now with McInsane being the media darling rammed down our throats, I venture to say that things may even get worse than with Dubya. Things are looking very dire.

[edit on 6-2-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
As a Canadian, I can tell you that that is not accurate, It's way higher than that. From coversations, etc, I would estimate it somewhere around 75%

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I'll expand a bit on my last comment: It is not that Canadian's think everything is wrong with the US, but most are horrified by this current administration, and the corporations, etc, that seem to be driving them. The US produces much that is good, but things are getting to a critical point, and your house needs to be cleaned. I am cheering for you guys becasue i know there are many, many good and kind people living state-side.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
wow, 52% of canadians in a poll think this or that about america

Polls really are just a load of oul wank arent they

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I don’t want to offend any other fellow Canadians, but I don’t think that a lot of us actually know what Iran or Iraq do, or what they’re standing for. Never mind their foreign policy or any other exotic things happening on that part of the world.

As for China, probably most of us hate them because they sell us crap and take our jobs away. We see them as an economic threat only.
America is here, we know them, we hear about them. It’s very easy to blame them.
How much are they telling us about the other 3 countries included in this poll?
Maybe some people were to fast to judge. I still have hope that the Americans will wake up and do something about the current state of affairs.

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Bursuc]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I just came back to this thread after a day or so. Best smiles I've had in a day or so... yes, look into the Fraser. Where I choose to live the community is highy Arabic in origins, we like it... yeah. Look into what cultural group has an "influence" in the CBC at the highest levels if you'd like. Be my guest. Then the Frase'. Go ahead. While your at it look up "Little Knesset", Liberal and PC as descriptors.

I do like some of the current federal lesgislation and some recent past stuff... short story is... it's political. I've voted for and against all three political parties... this time perhaps a fourth.

I smoke Cuban cigars, and with biz people from time to time, and I prefer Chivas or Russian Standard as a matter of choice. UntiI the end of this week, I'm what you might call a "corporate". It was fun to read this and really see what people think unvarnished. Thanks.

The "best" spun studies do use the data generated from "diverse" groups... by design. Yup, the whole issue is a rock in a paper bag on the trail... thoroughly despicable. Under the guise of "Canada's World", what a joke. Canada is the "world". This study is just another lube job to ease assimilation. Been goin' on since before the Arrow. Hey Buffalo Bills, 8 games in TO. Yeah... right. No doubt. Go Ti-Cats.

This study plays down the numbers and I wish there was a higher "perception" looking South... but there isn't, and it isn't anyone in Canada's fault 'cept for trusting our politicos and "studies".

On statistics and studies; "Torture numbers, and they'll confess to anything.", Gregg Easterbrook.

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 6-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
Where I choose to live the community is highy Arabic in origins, we like it...I prefer Chivas or Russian Standard as a matter of choice...Until the end of this week, I'm what you might call a "corporate"...On statistics and studies; "Torture numbers, and they'll confess to anything.

Very cool, Vic! I thought for some reason you might be Australian.

There are a lot of similarities in my mind between Canada and Australia -- they are both bedrock countries, frequently overlooked, neglected, and abused, but greatly admired by your average USA citizen (whatever good that many be!)

Thanks for the answers. Keep posting!

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Canada and the US are one and the same . Canadian media hypes the same #e the US media crams down our throats.If a Canadian here, trys to pull the moral superiority or political righteousness...then they are either very mis-informed or blind.Canada has serious problems with censorship, free speach and a taser mad police force.What rots America rots Canada.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

I guess in the end we can agree that polls are BS.

As for those in charge of the CBC, a bunch of lifetime liberal bureaucrats. I was pleased when Tony Burman stepped down as Editor in Chief of CBC news (the person responsible for deciding the CBCs editorial slant). I think that considering what went on when he was EIC, he did an alright job (despite some of the unfair attacks on right wing aligned politicians).

I am having trouble finding info on the new EIC, Peter Armstrong. He hasn't really had much time to make an impact, so it is tough to judge him.

Vic you are very vague and it is often hard for me to discern what you are referring to. I assumed you meant the EIC when you talked about CBC, as that is the highest position in which one can legitimately influence editorial slants and bias's. Unless you are suggesting that the board of directors is somehow influencing the EIC, in which case that would lean towards a more French bias (as a large portion of the BoD have French heritage). This is where I am confused as you often refer to the Fraser institute in the same paragraph (which is in no way French or left biased).

In the end (as in the beginning) I conclude that polls are BS

As an aside, I have been seriously thinking about applying for a internship at the Fraser Institute, but competition is fierce (and those damn UofT business kids get all the clout
)

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bursuc
I don’t want to offend any other fellow Canadians, but I don’t think that a lot of us actually know what Iran or Iraq do, or what they’re standing for. Never mind their foreign policy or any other exotic things happening on that part of the world.

As for China, probably most of us hate them because they sell us crap and take our jobs away. We see them as an economic threat only.
America is here, we know them, we hear about them. It’s very easy to blame them.
How much are they telling us about the other 3 countries included in this poll?
Maybe some people were to fast to judge. I still have hope that the Americans will wake up and do something about the current state of affairs.

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Bursuc]

I think you are right that many Canadians are ignorant about world issues, but I think less so than Americans (ignorance of the rest of the world comes with the Geography of NA I think - but I would have to poll Mexicans on their world attitudes before reaching this conclusion
).

As for China, the main Canadian beef (at least politically and media wise), is human rights issues, especially in respect to the persecution of Falun Gong worshippers.

And they don't steal our jobs, they outsource our low income jobs so that our goods can be cheaper. Outsourcing is a gain in the long run often because the decrease in the CGI (price of a set basket of goods) offsets the loss of jobs (you make 1$ less an hour but your decreased wage can buy you more goods than without outsourcing).

You said it is very easy to blame America. That is something I truly believe. Unfortunately that is the blame that comes with being the worlds only superpower, often regardless of what course of action you ultimately take.

I also think that one of the major causes of this poll being so high (comparatively speaking throughout history) is the American media. Most Canadians get a good bit of American news, for many it even far outweighs their daily dose of its northern counterpart. In Canada, CNN and HN are the only American news networks on cable. In fact Fox news was banned in Canada by the CRTC for 3 or 4 years until they finally allowed it. Through the CRTC actions, Canada has produced a window into America for its citizens that is dominated by the left.

Some important questions

Would the numbers be the same if Fox was provided in more Canadian households?

Would the numbers change if CNN had a different bias?

Traditionally, do these anti American poll numbers go down for Democratic regimes and up for Republican regimes, as CNN sees fit?

With the way so many leftist American denounce "faux" news as the devil and horrible propaganda, I think it would be interesting to compare the effects of major news networks (admitted entertainment
) between the two nations, Foxed and Foxless.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I have lived in 6 states, and worked in a whole lot more. I was born and raised in Saskatchewan, Canada. I have found over the past 25 years that both Americans and Canadians share, for the most part, the same values. I myself compare some of the culture difference in our society to the geography of the region. Ie. Saskatchewan is very much like North Dakota, and Vancouver is very much like Seattle.

I love the people of the USA as well as Canada. I have been treated very well in both countries

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by thelibra

I just read your extremely well-written and moving post. While it is no comfort I suppose, Canada itself is becoming like the middle chapters of an Orwellian saga too. The same gaggle of ghouls are running the USA and Canada just now. I don't know if they are all part of some outlandish secret society -- or if the Bilderberg group is enough of a secret society to explain it. Our Prime Minister is a walking, talking nightmare, and he is so much like George W. Bush I find it both incredible and frightening.

We all love our nations, and in a pinch I think most Canadians and US Americans have the same goals for themselves and their families. Particularly in western Canada you find some of that same spirit that prizes freedom and liberty so fiercely.

But how did we get here? We bought the lies about terror. We let the military-industrial complex push every "fear" button we have, and we didn't realise until much too late that the things being done "to fight terror" were really aimed at controlling each of us.

It is never to late to revolt. And for you US Americans, I humbly submit that you must immediately and forthwith cease and desist from voting for Democrats or Republicans. You've got to throw them out of office or raise up 2 other parties to challenge them from the left and the right. I am convinced that that is part of the answer. But I fear that your elections are all rigged now. I've been watching the recount in New Hampshire and it is clear that those responsible for the vote from the Secretary of State on down have been involved in something nefarious if not criminal.

The revolution necessary may be far greater than one can imagine at the moment.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

The debate about our presence in Afghanistan right now points to Harper's toeing the Bush line. That's politics in Ottawa. The reality on the ground is that our command and troops have taken a completely different approach to that of the US, both in Afghanistan and Iraq. Us troops are isolated and rely heavily on air-strikes. The Canadian troops live and sleep in forward posts in the lawless south. They patrol with the Afghan soldiers and police, and establish mobile medical clinics. Air-strikes can only be called in by the higher-ups. At the end of the day, this means that we are not experiencing the hostility from the locals that our American counterparts are, and we also have an extremely low count of civilians killed. Having said that, the majority of Canadians want our troops out after 2009, which is being ignored by our PM. Sound familiar?

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by skinnyblaze

Negatory, Canada and the USA are NOT one in the same. As a Canadian I take offense to that
We are two separate countries. Are there SOME similarities? Sure, but you can say the same about anything in life. Some similarities doesn't = the same.

Most fellow Canadians that I know have a favorable opinion of Americans, we consider our neighbors to the south our friends. That doesn't mean we have the same opinion about the current US administration. I personally think those poll #'s should be way higher, 75% +.

The truth is we feel for you guys. It's been a long 8 years!

[edit on 8-2-2008 by ZombieSlayer]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join