It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think i found something of value.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Today i was doing plumbing in a really old abandoned house that the bank has for sale. I found a closet that seemed to haven't been touched by anyone since the owners moved out. For some reason i decided to move some boxes around to see if there was anything interesting in there. I found a small stack of newspapers, one with the moon landing in 1969. I text messaged my brother to look up how much it was worth and it was only going for about 7 dollars on ebay.

So, I went back to work. After we finished, i decided to take one more look in the closet. I moved a stack of newspapers and saw a folded newspaper that looked much older then the other ones.

It is The New York Times from Saturday, April 15, 1865. It is the Lincoln Assassination newspaper. Mint condition (which leads me to believe it could be a replica). Any idea how much its worth?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Well I am still researching this for you but i did come across this and if this paper is worth over $1700.00, a mint condition copy of the same day NYT would be worth quite a bit more. I'll let you know if I find anything more.

On a side note: A few years ago while going through some books that my late father had left me, I came across what appeared to be a very fine copy of the gettysburg address; it was aged and appeared quite old but when I showed it to an authority on the subject, I was told it was only a replica which was printed up to celebrate the one hundredth anniversary of the speech.

Still, you never know; some priceless objects have been discovered in old closets and yard sales. Good luck!

Edited to add:

Well, this is the closest I could come to the paper you have, if it is authentic; I beleve that the assassination first day paper would be a whole lot more valuable but that's just my take on it. You might consider consulting a collector or auctioner of valuable historical items on the subject. Good luck, again.

[edit on 2/5/2008 by Stormrider]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Awesome, thanks alot. I'm looking around online and can't find anything on the value of it. I saw on ebay someone selling it for $100, is that possible?!? I was looking at it, and it does seem original. I hope its not worth only 100 bux, but i guess its better then nothing!

new topics

join