It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Prince rebukes U.S. on Iraq

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

UK Prince rebukes U.S. on Iraq

news.bbc.co.uk

The Duke of York has criticised the US administration for failing to listen to advice from Britain on how to avoid problems following the war in Iraq.
Prince Andrew said the war had led to a "healthy scepticism" in Britain towards what was said in Washington.

The duke made the comments in an interview with the International Herald Tribune ahead of a 10-day trip to promote British business in the US.

He said the US should have learned lessons from British colonial history.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
This admin listen? They don't listen to their OWN advisors, why the heck would they listen to another country's leader? lol

Continued

BBC royal correspondant Peter Hunt said it was unusual for a senior royal to so freely enter the diplomatic and political arena.

He said that while the wisdom of the prince's move may be questioned by some, his officials characterised the comments as a "thoughtful appraisal" of the situation which he stood by.

The prince emphasised the importance of British-American relations, but said there had been "occasions when people in the UK would wish that those in responsible positions in the US might listen and learn from our experiences".

"If you are looking at colonialism, if you are looking at operations on an international scale, if you are looking at understanding each other's culture, understanding how to operate in a military insurgency campaign - we have been through them all," he said.

"We've won some, lost some, drawn some. The fact is there is quite a lot of experience over here which is valid and should be listened to."

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Another fine reason why we need a republic in Britain.

Unelected, anti-democratic, tyrants and traitors to us citizen should not be getting involved in politics. The so called "Prince" should do me a favour and leave the UK, with his dappy family members and dictator of a mother Elizabeth Windsor.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Unelected, anti-democratic, tyrants and traitors to us citizen should not be getting involved in politics. The so called "Prince" should do me a favour and leave the UK, with his dappy family members and dictator of a mother Elizabeth Windsor.

It's got nothing to do with any republican argument whatsoever. Whether or not you believe the monarchy should have any standing in the UK, the fact is at the moment they do, and when they make valid, pertinent and accurate observations about world affairs there's no reason not to listen.

Not only that, but the Duke of York served his country in the Falklands War, and is a descendant of the Royal Family whose army has in the past been spread further around the globe than any other army in the history of civilization - so there's every reason to suppose his opinion might be more studied and worth listening to than most.

LW

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
No they don't

Understand Royal Protocols. Members of the Royal Household are forbidden to express an opinion that goes against the Government or does not represent government policy. Period.

It's what our Constitutional Monarchy is based on.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

We dont need a republic thank you,things are fine as they are(apart from Labour)

As it has been mentioned the royals have seen conflict.I bet you most labour politicians would run a mile the other direction.

I actualy wish the Queen would do more than she does,she should have arrested Blair for his WMD lies and Wars.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Agreed,
and don't even get me started on his trips by private jet, which we pay for.

At least charlie has the sense to keep his poop talk to plants.

The royals are not allowed to interfere and rightly so.

If they want that right, let them give up the monarchy and stand for election.

[edit on 5/2/2008 by budski]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Brilliant about time a high profile , educated combat veteran , and royalty to boot stood up and said whats needed to be said.

pure genius.

yet another reason this country leads the way with a monachy that listens to the people , and i must say william will make an excellent king.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This seems to have slipped into a discussion on the rights and wrongs of the monchary in the UK and looking at the original posts, I do not think this the intention.

I will of course stand to be corrected.

Anyone who is a citizen has the right to express an opinion, be you royal or commoner, and the media have the choice to report it.

I am pleased that someone who have fought for his country is willing to speak up and offer comment on world events. It's a shame that our ELECTED leaders have not shown the same kind of commitment and been prepared to be critical of US actions in Iraq.

And the point that Andrew makes about our colonial history is a valid one. You like to think that the Bush Adminstration would have looked at history but then, just as DimensionalDetective notes, The Bush adminstration has not listened to his own people or advisors.

There is an existing thread Power and Authority of the Monarchy

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Again, the Royal Family are not citizens.

Not allowed to vote and are not allowed to express a political opinion. Why are monarchists so against democracy? If you believe in it then you should support removing the Crown.

If Andrew wants to play politics then become a politician

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Ya look how good its doing for the United States.

Where do you want me to start??? A republic is good for about 2 seconds then it gets corrupted and leaders put the country into a spiral hellhole, then the people sit there and act stupid while paying a ton of loot on extra taxes and say WTF????

Ya republic/fascism is the way to go.

::EDIT::

And the best part.. They tell u to vote for leaders they want u to vote for.. not who u feel you should vote for.

[edit on 2/5/2008 by ThichHeaded]

[edit on 2/5/2008 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
If you think a republic is so great look no further then the US ...

You can take our republic and we can take your constitutional monarchy ok? I am sure the Windsors would be a heck of alot better then Bush, Clinton and Obama. At then we would have a somewhat unifying force.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Bit of a misconception there - the german monarchy in the UK have no powers other than purely ornamental.

But you can have brown and blair if you want them

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
Bit of a misconception there - the german monarchy in the UK have no powers other than purely ornamental.

Still, it is an inhuman institution, symbol of suffering to many people in the world. Prince Andrew is just trying to save his honour. Off with their heads !!!

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
With the Duke of York's opinion and $2.10 you can buy a large cup of coffee.

Tell you what, once you guys figure out what good oral hygiene is all about, get back in touch with us.

EDIT:

As was soundly pointed out to me, this was not funny, even though it was intended as such.

Next time, I will actually include the humor.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by SlightlyAbovePar]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Yeahh bang to rights,we dont know anything about oral hygiene perhaps your old Pres Bill Clinton could tell us.Cigars?

take that $2.10 and get a life

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Second thoughts, I cannot be bothered to waste my time responding at immature, uneducated and childish Americans.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by infinite]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to slightlyabovepar

Rather a sweeping generalisation don't you think?

I could base my opinion of americans on the film deliverance and call you all hillbilly's - but I don't because I know better and have manners.

[edit on 5/2/2008 by budski]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
People PLEASE: Debate the TOPIC, and not each other. There have been some good points here made on both sides, without the personal attacks. Let's not turn this into a personal pissing match.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlightlyAbovePar
With the Duke of York's opinion and $2.10 you can buy a large cup of coffee.

Tell you what, once you guys figure out what good oral hygiene is all about, get back in touch with us.

EDIT: Actually, don't bother. We explained where we thought British opinion needed to be some time ago.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by SlightlyAbovePar]

Oral hygiene? whats that about, don't tell me your actually believe the whole british bad teeth thing, that's pretty ignorant lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join