It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last Movie About Benevolent ETs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
There's probably one or more that I'm forgetting, but I maintain that it was COCOON: THE RETURN (in 1986). What's wrong with this picture? Obviously the ALIEN(S)/INDEPENDENCE DAY (devolved) uberparanoid mentality took over Hollyweird (at least in the sci-fi arena) a long time ago, so I'm wondering, does anyone think there could have been any influence by the shadow government/National Security state in the sudden (absolute and thorough) cessation of movies about friendly nonhumans? Or can anyone enlighten us of an American movie made since 1986 about them? (STARMAN was made in '84 or '85). Can also include films for HBO or Cinemax or the like; as well as box office. Sorry if I'm just forgetting, and I admit I'm not a big movie buff to begin with. And sorry if this has been covered before.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Flight of the Navigator was also 1986. Would have been a good year for them to land on the white house lawn!

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Lightworth

K-PAX (2001)

www.imdb.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Yeah, K-PAX rocked! I had a feeling I'd forget at least one. OK, so any in the late '80s, all of the '90s or since '01?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lightworth
There's probably one or more that I'm forgetting, but I maintain that it was COCOON: THE RETURN (in 1986). What's wrong with this picture? I'm wondering, does anyone think there could have been any influence by the shadow government/National Security state in the sudden (absolute and thorough) cessation of movies about friendly nonhumans? Or can anyone enlighten us of an American movie made since 1986 about them?

I can think of a few.movies that have benevolent aliens...

Batteries Not Included (1987)

Alien Nation (1988)

The Abyss (1989)

Contact (1997)

Two MIB movies (1997 and 2002)

The Fifth Element (1997)

Galaxy Quest (1999)

The Iron Giant (1999)

Superman Returns (2006) (Remember, Superman is an alien)

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)

Transformers (2007)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
More than likely it's simply about money.

Look at all the gory monster flicks Hollywood pumps out.

Family movies are few and far between.

Making me wonder why Hollywood wonders why they're losing money....

top topics

join