It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question: I want to leave my computer on all the time...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I'd also add that you might wanna keep an eye on your PC's general performance if you're going to leave it on.

I understand not all systems are the same, but from past experience, while your PC hardware is probably more than capable of staying on 24/7, Windows on the otherhand often is not capable! I'm making assumptions about your operating system here, but in my profession I've seen many instances of some versions of Windows becoming shamefully unstable if left running without a reboot for long(er) periods of time. I'd suggest a scheduled reboot on a weekly/monthly basis.

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by EliteXizer
I wish to leave my computer on all the time for SETI@home. However, I am concerned about the following:

-How much will it cost?
-Will it damage my computer?

Hi EX!!

I'm coming to this discussion very late - blame Valentines Day and an all-night session (ending at about 0430 GMT Sunday morning) playing Halo on the Xbox!!

As *everybody* has stated, the cost is minimal. Here, I run two networked P4 machines, which are switched on 24/7 running SETI@home. I would much prefer they do that, than simply "sit there", taking room up in the study whilst switched off. Indeed, if you think in terms of "earning their keep", having computers doing "something" is - probably - more cost effective (and hence cheaper) than having that "expensive stone" sitting there doing nothing?

As regards "damage": nothing to report. Just so long as you take the necessary precautions eg AVP and firewall, etc, then I certainly haven't noticed any damge caused to either machine after around one year of use. Indeed, I'm so confident of this that I even keep the machines running when I'm not here - including holidays when I'm away. I just think of the computers as being like an electric clock, fridge or any other device that's left switched on, really: if it's going to go wrong, it will, otherwise it will just keep going!

So, pelase consider running SETI@home - and welcome to the ATS team!!

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I agree some flavors of Windows are prone to instability when left to it's own devices for an extended period.

I use XP pro, and have found it VERY stable over many days without re-boot.

Something else to think about. The Power Supply in the PC.

Generally this would be the only weak point of your computer. It is a 'switcher' style power supply that is very effecient and runs at a high frequency (50khz-90khz). The power supplies are generally, well, cheap in price and quality, especially if installed in a pre-built pc like eMachines or that level. This is where the OEM may cut a corner, to keep the price as low as possible.

But again, clean & cool, and the projected end-of-life can be extended.

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Thanks for the dendrite.

Better a Dendrite, than a Homer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join