It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question: I want to leave my computer on all the time...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I wish to leave my computer on all the time for SETI@home. However, I am concerned about the following:

-How much will it cost?
-Will it damage my computer?

Could anyone give me an estimate on about how much more it will add to the electicity bill? (just a rough guess)

Also, will it damage my computer to leave it on constantly? I don't plan on putting it in 'sleep mode' either. I do plan on turning off my monitor, obviously, but leaving the rest of the computer working. How long can I leave it on? A few days? Weeks? Months? Maybe even a year?

I'd really appreciate if someone could help me with this

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
well i have my computer on all the time, it really doesnt add much to the bill at all. and keeping it on all the time lets the computer last longer...so you should just keep it on all the time...hope i helped...

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Leaving your computer on should'nt put a big drain on the power as long as you turn off your monitor when your not using it. The monitor is what uses the most power in a computer setup. We've got two computer on 24/7 in my appartment, power is included on our rent and we only pay for the extra power if we go over a certain amount and so far the electricity bills since september are about $200 CAN bellow quota.
And as for damage, I believe the less times you turn it on/off, the longer it lasts.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
yeah, ditto. i dont leave mine on cuz id get creamed by the 'rents, but no, it aint much to the power, but it does depend on the prices in ur area, i dunno what new mexico's prices are like.
computers, on the other hand, are designed to stay on indefinitely. the screen saver/sleep mode was simply an addition because some people wanted to save money

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I am a believer in leaving computers on all the time. A battery backup (uninterruptible power supply) is a good idea, too. Since I have had my home network, >5 PCs, set up I have only noticed about a $12 -$18 US increase in my electical bill. Most of them share a single monitor which is off unless I am using it.

I shudder to think what the network at my office costs to run. 40+ workstations and 24 servers, all running all the time, rebooted only when patches are applied.

SETI doesn't really do anything to harm a computer except run the processor all the time. That can increase the systems operating temperature, but if your system has adequate cooling it should be fine.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
i've had my computer on 24/7 for 4 years. its still running like it's the day i bought it.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Messsiahhh
i've had my computer on 24/7 for 4 years. its still running like it's the day i bought it.

good on you! what make/model/etc?

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I tend to switch the monitor off at times when I leave the PC on.

No big power bill.

Just check your fan is functional, regularly.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
computers, on the other hand, are designed to stay on indefinitely. the screen saver/sleep mode was simply an addition because some people wanted to save money

Simply untrue,...in the 'old' day's the phosphor's used in a crt would burn easily, leaving a burned image on the screen noticable when off, if the image displayed was non-moving for an extended time.

Originally screen savers would go blank, and then the flying windows and toasters and such.

Current crt based monitors have lower temp phosphors coated on the inside of the shadow mask, and the screen sinks heat well.

So screen savers NOW are for grins, to hide stuff, or to protect a monitor that is on for many days, or save (a little) power.

Make sure you have no fan blockages, and open up the cabinet once a month and blow it out, as dust will fill the cpu fan up pretty quick. (preventative maintenance)

The electronics, or the cpu, is the main power sink and heat generator, and heat is what kills transistors in IC's. If your fan is ineffecient or has poor airflow, the life of the cpu could be diminished at a faster rate.

Just keep it cool, and clean and you will be fine.

Edit: and if you smoke, well dont worry bout the dust, the tar will make it like glue in a few short weeks or couple of month's. (not good)

[Edited on 14-2-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley

Simply untrue,...in the 'old' day's the phosphor's used in a crt would burn easily, leaving a burned image on the screen noticable when off, if the image displayed was non-moving for an extended time.

Originally screen savers would go blank, and then the flying windows and toasters and such.

Current crt based monitors have lower temp phosphors coated on the inside of the shadow mask, and the screen sinks heat well.

So screen savers NOW are for grins, to hide stuff, or to protect a monitor that is on for many days, or save (a little) power.

Make sure you have no fan blockages, and open up the cabinet once a month and blow it out, as dust will fill the cpu fan up pretty quick. (preventative maintenance)

[Edited on 14-2-2004 by smirkley]

Very good advice - but might I point out that contrary to repeated attempts to produce otherwise - there is no such word as "preventative"....just as there is no such word as "inventative".
Granny-grammar signing out!

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
preventative

Common Granny......check the dictionary !

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Smirkley

Check the origin (date) of the word. Webster succumbed...to bull# spelling.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Both �preventive� and �preventative� have been used for more than 300 years, and �The Columbia Guide to Standard American English� [[1993, by Wilson]] says �each is standard as both adjective and noun.� But �preventative� was panned as �not a correct word� in William and Mary Morris� �Harper Dictionary of Contemporary Usage� [[1985]] and was dismissed as �a needless lengthening of an established word� in Fowler�s �Dictionary of Modern English Usage.� Though R.W. Burchfield�s �New Fowler�s Modern English Usage� terms both forms �acceptable,� he cites evidence that the shorter form is used more frequently; and he prescribes the shorter form �for most contexts.�

You are ontop of things, but I feel that since the english language (and dictionaries) are based alot on usage and not necessarily what is perceived right or wrong, and that I can only find one dictionary that labels it 'non-standard', I will still feel comfortable using the word (although, see bottom of this post).

..but in fact the two are interchangeable as both nouns and adjective, though many prefer "preventive" as being shorter and simpler. "Preventative" used as an adjective dates back to the 17th century, as does "preventive" as a noun.
www.wsu.edu:8080...

define.ansme.com...

www.wordwizard.com...
Risk-free advice: Use �preventive� as an adjective and �preventative� as a noun: �Thus, as you practice �preventive medicine� and give your car �preventive maintenance,� you take a flu shot in your arm � and slap a coat of wax on your car � as a �preventative.� "

Risk Free?...preventive in this case (although I can see that I can argue with myself both way's here too)...thanks Val..

[Edited on 15-2-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Well, I, personally, see nothing wrong with it. I myself am a active SETI@home member, and, infact, it is bleeping red/green as we speak (I haven't uploaded the results in a few days
) Anyways, I don't think leaving the computer on consistantly is bad at all, in fact, like stated, turning your computer on/off hurts the machine and wears it out over time. Go for it. I would too, but I share it with other people, who, don't see it quite my way

Go for it!

-wD

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
.., in fact, like stated, turning your computer on/off hurts the machine and wears it out over time.

Thermal shock does lead to premature component failure, but is becoming less of an issue as component technology advances.

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Messsiahhh

good on you! what make/model/etc?

its custom
abit kr7a motherboard, xp 1800+ processor, 1gb pc2110 memory, 60gb main hdd, 20gb secondary (both seagate)...

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I've started leaving my pc running since I found out that can cache work units in SETI moniter . I pay for my electricity weekly on a key meter and I haven't noticed any marked increase in the amount I'm having to put in it. I just set the screen saver to run blank after 1 minute, this will speed up your WU a bit (I've noticed that this has speeded up my units from 4 hours to about 3 hours 50 mins) and turn off the monitor when I'm not using it. All of this is helping me to move up the group board quite quickly

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   

"Preventative" used as an adjective dates back to the 17th century, as does "preventive" as a noun.

www.wordwizard.com...
Risk-free advice: Use �preventive� as an adjective and �preventative� as a noun:

An odd thing I just noticed is that the Modern Suggested Risk-Free method of usage, is the opposite of the origin. And I believe both to be correct, but havent finished looking yet for verification.

who

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I never shut my computers off, I have 3 machines I built and have never noticed an increase in the electric bill.

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

"Preventative" used as an adjective dates back to the 17th century, as does "preventive" as a noun.

www.wordwizard.com...
Risk-free advice: Use �preventive� as an adjective and �preventative� as a noun:

An odd thing I just noticed is that the Modern Suggested Risk-Free method of usage, is the opposite of the origin. And I believe both to be correct, but havent finished looking yet for verification.

That's interesting. What I find most interesting is the adjective versus noun usage.

So...if I'm going to do preventive maintenance, I am correct. But if I'm going to talk about Preventative Maintenance as a subject, you are correct.

Thanks for the dendrite.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join