It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Casting Call! The Dark Knight Returns!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
If any of you used to collect Wizard magazine, then you should remember the comic book movie casting call! This was always a fun section of the magazine for me, so I have decided to create a few of my own.

Now, these movies are NOT actual movies in the works, just who I would cast if I were to direct it. At the end I’ll link my other casting call threads…

Feel free to let me know if you agree or disagree with my decisions!

If you disagree, who would you want to play that role and why?
If I left some important characters out, then add them!

Ok here goes!

Casting Call #2: Frank Miller’s: The Dark Knight Returns!

That’s right! In celebration of the upcoming film The Dark Knight, I thought it would be a good idea to tackle one of my all time favorite graphic novels, The Dark Knight Returns!

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns is set 20 years in the future. In the absence of superheroes, ordinary criminals run amok (all the supervillains having been incarcerated or otherwise killed), and a gang called the Mutants made up of schoolchildren terrorize Gotham City. Batman has been retired from crime fighting for ten years following the death of Jason Todd, the second Robin. Despite Wayne's funding for the rehabilitation of Harvey Dent (Two-Face), Dent returns to crime. Wayne dons the Batman costume again and apprehends Dent, but in an increasingly media obsessed society, the populace debates publically whether Batman is a savior or a menace. en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Source

So, I know you guys want to go straight to Bats, but come on! You guys know I’m gonna save the best for last! But we have one hell of a line up here, from the Joker to Superman!

But first off, let’s start with the New Robin!
Carrie Kelley, 13 years old. She becomes Robin, and is accepted by the Batman after saving his life.

So, for this casting call, we’re looking for a tom boyish actress who would look cute in a little skirt… any thoughts?
Well I had one, none other than miss Veronica Mars… eh’ I mean miss Kristen Bell!

Yowza!
Now I know what you’re thinking! She would look more than cute in a skirt, but this is the 21st century! You need some sort of sexual appeal in a movie nowadays, and Kristen Bell will definitely do that! Not to mention she got down and dirty like a tomboy in her Veronica Mars TV series, which makes Kristen Bell and excellent candidate for the new Robin!

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Next up, we have the Joker!
This is one of the craziest Jokers I’ve ever seen!
An elderly catatonic prisoner of Arkham Asylum. He awakens from his slumber when he learns of the return of the Batman and begins to plot the death of thousands. Throughout the story the Joker's trademark grin does not cross his face until he murders the talk show audience.
[**SPOILER ALERT!!!** IF YOU DON’T WANT TO READ SKIP TO AFTER THE PICTURE!!! In this book the Joker is so crazy that he ends up killing himself by cracking his own neck to frame Batman for his murder… this is, or course, after Batman throws a batterang into his eye!]

So, we need an older joker… someone who knows how to play a senile old man…
Do I really need to say it? Sure, he would have to work out before the movie to lose that double chin, and yeah, maybe a bit more hair, but since he was upset he wasn’t cast as the joker in the new Batman movie coming out, lets give him this role… good old Jack Nicholson!

Now here’s a surprise, Superman! Yes, even though many people never saw Batman fight Superman until Jim Lee’s Hush series, Frank Miller actually had the original fight between the good samaritan and the Dark Knight back in the 80’s!
Now, I wont ruin the fight for ya, but it beats the one in Hush!

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Ok, so who to play the chunky man of steel? Clark Kent is the only legal Superhero left who agrees to carry out the whims of the US government in exchange for permission to remain a hero. Unlike Batman, who is now middle-aged, Superman has remained (at least physically) in his early to mid-thirties.
(It was tough finding a good picture of the Superman depicted in the Dark Knight Returns, so this action figure will have to do)

Well, lets think for a minute. Someone big and can pull off the good boy look, well, I’m gonna have to go with Mark Wahlberg!

With a little make up and movie magic, this actor could easily pull of a 30 yr old Clark Kent. He’s just about the right size, nothing that a little working out or body suite couldn’t pull off, and he definitely has the good boy thing down as we all saw in I Heart Huckabees. Looking forward to seeing him in Max Payne!

And now, what you’ve all been waiting for! Bruce Wayne! AKA: BATMAN! 55 years old. He gave up the Batman identity ten years ago, strongly suggested as a reaction to the death of the former Robin, Jason Todd. But when he sees violence running rampant and his personal demons can no longer be denied, he is forced to return. Throughout the story, Batman appears to know that his end is soon due, but if he is to die it should be a "grand death".

So who in the world could play an old guy that still kicks butt??? Well, I think if he grows his hair back, Bruce Willis would fit the part down to a T!

Why Bruce Willis? Because he should do nothing but action movies for the rest of his career! He already has the scruffy look and voice, and even though he’s old now, I still wouldn’t him mad at me.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by Odessy]

[edit on 5-2-2008 by Odessy]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
So that concludes my picks on Casting Call #2: The Dark Knight Returns!

Don’t agree with me? Make some picks of your own and tell us why you think they would play a better part!

ALSO!!! I need help! Many characters in The Dark Knight Returns were left out because I couldn’t find the pics of the characters! SO I’M CALLING YOU to pick out who should act the parts of these four important characters:

Alfred Pennyworth: Wayne's trusty butler, medic, and confidante, now in his 80s. He is more sarcastic than ever, taunting Bruce on both his alcohol problem and single life.

James Gordon: Commissioner of the Gotham Police, 70 years old. He is aware of the dual identity of Batman and is strongly supportive of the Caped Crusader.

Two Face: Now middle-aged, Harvey Dent's face has been reconstructed with plastic surgery and his doctor gives him a clean bill of health. His mind is actually more diseased than ever and disguises himself in bandages, committing more criminal acts.

Green Arrow, aka Oliver Queen. After the outlawing of all superheroes, he undertook a clandestine career of terrorism against government oppression, including the sinking of a nuclear submarine. He lost his left arm years ago and blames Superman because of that. He is still a formidable marksman, using his teeth to grip the nocks of his arrows.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this post and hope to hear back from all you Dark Knight fans with your agrees or disagrees.

I’ll also post the links to my other Casting Call threads so check those out if ya have the time!

If you guys liked this thread then give it a Star and Flag so I know to make more Casting Calls!

Until Next Time!

Odessy

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
If you guys enjoyed this thread then check out my other casting calls, with more to come!!!

Casting Call: The Authority!

Casting Call: Cowboy Bebop!

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I like all your picks except joker. I forget his real name but the guy who plays house would be brilliant as this joker. By the way Im not really into anime Im just a huge bebop fan I really dig comic books. Seriously though the guy who plays house.

top topics

join