It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol as a fuel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Why do we use fossil fuels when there is abundant renewable energy around us?

Hydrogen seems to be pushed by politicians as an 'alternative,' but [H] is more flammable than petroleum and more difficult to store (must be higher compressed to remain stable).

We have several options for our transportation needs: Biofuel (Hemp, Switchgrass, Algae), Alcohol (Grain, potato, etc), Oil (food fats), and a few others I can't think of.

Alcohol seems to be the most opportune at this point in time. We already produced tons of this stuff yearly. Why don't we start burning it instead of consuming so much of it?

I'm all for having a good time, but we can also use it for fuel.

I'm not 100% sure on the emissions, but it can't be nearly as bad as oil.

Alcohol can be a gas

With alcohol fuel, you can become energy-independent, reverse global warming, and survive Peak Oil in style. Alcohol fuel is "liquid sunshine" and can't be controlled by transnational corporations. You can produce alcohol for less than $1 a gallon, using a wide variety of plants and waste products, from algae to stale donuts. It's a much better fuel than gasoline, and you can use it in your car, right now. You can even use alcohol to generate electricity. Alcohol fuel production is ecologically sustainable, revitalizes farms and communities, and creates huge new opportunities for small-scale businesses. Its byproducts are clean and valuable. Alcohol has a proud history and a vital future.

Comments? Questions? Dissenting opinions as usual?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Xactly. We have already been using alcohol as fuel for a number of years now but not as general use in our cars. In Aust we have started blending oil based fuel with Ethanol from sugar cane (around 10%). I also believe in europe (cant remember exactly where) they are using the methane from a local farm to run the local bus service and are expanding to general vehicles.
The only explation I have it the standard conspiracy the the Govt and oil companies refuse to allow any alternative fuels as it will damage their profits.

MBF

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Henry Ford designed the first cars to run on alcohol. Just imagine, you could drink your moonshine or put it your car.

join