It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Satellite Program Is `Troubling Development,' U.S. Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Iran's Satellite Program Is `Troubling Development,' U.S. Says

www.bloomberg.com

Feb. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Iran's new space center built to send a research satellite into orbit is a ``troubling development'' because it employs the same technology used for producing long- range ballistic missiles, the U.S. State Department said.

The United Nations Security Council and ``other members of the international system have expressed their deep concern about Iran's continuing development of medium- and long-range ballistic missiles,'' spokesman Sean McCormack said at a briefing
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nydailynews.com
www.t heglobeandmail.com

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Everybody is troubled (with the exception of Russia) about something Iran is doing but I'm not sure any one country is in a position to do anything about it. I wonder how far Ahmadinejad will go to usher in Armageddon before someone tries to stop him.

A friend of mine has a brother living in Tehran (he's trying to get out) and the general consensus behind closed doors is the guy is a nut. Most Iranians are not the least bit happy about the idea of the 12th Imam's early arrival being orchestrated by their President.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Armegeddon?

Well, personally I'm very happy for Iran and its budding space program. They're a bit behind, perhaps, but their space program is a triumph nonetheless.

I hope nobody sabotages their planned satelllite launch.

F

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I'm not particularly alarmed by a space program - their ability to manufacture ballistic missiles is already known.

The US regards it as somehow being it's sovereign right to determine the technological advances of other countries.

I don't think that policy is realistic.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I was under the impression he was popular in Iran,more so than your lame duck(if your American)

Yeas you right,this could be used in the future for flying warheads

Seeing as Iran is a peacefull nation whose last war was when they responded to an attack by Iraq i dont see them having ambitions to spread persian might all over the globe.

I could be wrong,you cant look into the future,But if left alone they wouldnt do anything.If we keep pushing them,threatening them,and use our SF's inside their country to train and arm terrorist groups then they might react!

Lets stop prodding them,and start friendly talk with them.They want to talk to us but the warmongers in charge dont do peace and zionists dont think there even human

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
If the goal is an ICBM, wouldn't this be the perfect cover? Seems like that to me. I guess someone who actually wanted a war would like the idea. Too much instability in that region for it to make any sense. Since Iran appears to be the source of funding for those lobbing missiles at civilians in other countries, why would anyone believe they would hesitate to do it from home. Unstable regions of the world should have been cut off from this kind of technology in the first place. Trusting Ahmendinajad is like trying to pet a Wolverine; expect to loose an appendage

Ahmendinajad does not seem crazy to me. He is a Zealot which is far worse. If his Megalomania has honestly reached the point he thinks he is to usher in the Final War and that his Religion will rule the world; anyone who is not terrified of him is crazy. Lets hope the good people of Iran will not let this continue. I have no doubt he is not too popular.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by noangels

If that were all true they would have taken Russia's offer to provide fuel for a reactor. Their refusal was proof of the real motives. Are you wishing for a Nuclear War? Are you Iranian? Don't take me wrong, I have nothing against anyone, but Ahmendinajad has made some wild threats and claims. I'm comforted by the fact he seems to be under the thumb of calmer heads.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I think the consensus generally now is to just let Iran do whatever they want, let them build nuclear reactors, let them build ICBMs, whatever they do peacefully is fine by me and the way Israel is they can afford to be the martyr if Iran suddenly sheds the sheep-cloak and attacks Israel because then Iran will cease to be part of the 21st century because afterwards almost every nation on earth will avoid them like powdered plutonium aerosol.

Personally I think the Iranians are extremely sharp and clever, if given the right tools they could achieve breakthroughs in designs.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
This is driving me nuts.

Are we in the West basically saying that Iran (or any other country we chose) cannot develop anything unless we first approve of them doing so and then have full visibility of the process?

That they cannot even consider developing technologies we've had for years because they might one day present a threat?

This from a coalition that is starting one pre-emptive war after another in a mad attempt to gain control over the resources of the very countries they're looking to suppress.

Seriously, what arrogance. I'm absolutely sick of it. Can people not see that we are the threat? Can people not see that we are no less extreme than those we accuse?

We - the electorate - have already seen we were systematically lied to about the so-called threat posed by Saddam Hussein. And yet here we are, about to be conditioned into accepting a confrontation with Iran.

But it's no longer about the immediate threat - that plan was scuppered by the NIE. So they're going off at a tangent, looking for anything that to their mind justifies the hyperbole.

These are dangerous times and the only way out is a wholesale change, because we have more meglomaniacs waiting in the wings. After Iran it'll be China. At that point it will likely be global.

And maybe nuclear.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Jacks56

Good post!

Disturbing , why? Probably because it doesn't fit in with the great scheme of things.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by sir_stinky_pinky]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   

because it employs the same technology used for producing long- range ballistic missiles, the U.S. State Department said.

I wouldn't mind a bit more confirmation of this supposed fact. Because for one, how do they know down to the last IC what is on the thing? Second, wouldn't that have to be confirmed first with the navigation system on the missiles before they can make that quoted statement conclusively? The State Department have a copy? I suppose forging evidence wasn't enough, so now it's forging satellites and missiles? Yippee.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by coughymachine

Excellently said!

On OPs topic:

With technology or development being a factor of power ofcourse the American government will see the Iranian advance as a threat.
Like an above poster wrote... why is it that the American establishment think it has the sole right to anything advanced?
It's not like Nasa is sharing too much info with us Europeans and we are even supposed to be allies, in the sense that we won't wage war upon them (...yet).

Ofcourse radical and extreme statements like the ones Ahmendinajad has made in the past are freightning. They resemble ramblings from past nutcases, but the ones I fear even more is those capable of overthrowing governments and go "I didn't do it" and having people believe them... those are the ones we need to fear.

Who would you consider most dangerous if you were out on the savannah:

- The boasting elephant who out in the open is trying to assert himself?

or

- The lion sneaking in on you from behind?

I wish the Iranians godspeed with the satelite launch, because... that technology will hopefully still be around after the Iranian population has gathered the power to overthrow Ahmendinajad themselves.

[edit on 5/2/08 by flice]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
What wild claims has he made then?please enlighten me.

If your refering to the wipe Israel off the map comment,then I believe he was badly translated.I am all ears if you have any other wild comments

Am I wishing for a nuclear war!Who in their right mind would?I dont think Persians would,and I know most americans wouldnt.I cant say the same about Bush or McCain,and thats worrying!

English mate,its even great to type that

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Once Iran launches this satelite into orbit, what are the chances that it is going to come back down to earth as a fireball. No doubt there will be some 'games' played between the US satelites and the lone Iranian...

top topics

join