It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why use a secret ballot system?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Why would anyone want to use a "secret" ballot system?

Around ten years ago, It was my first time voting. When I got home, I asked my mom how she voted. She wouldn't tell me. She said "That's for me to know and for you to never find out."

At the time, I let it go, maybe only to a point I guess, because from that time on, I've always wondered why she wouldn't do so and why would anyone not want to say how they voted?

The only thing I can think of is that people might be afraid that their thoughts and views don't go along with what everyone else thinks.

What's the problem with that? That's the whole reason why we vote.

Your vote is yours and yours alone. You have the right to vote for whatever you wish. If anyone feels differently, they have their own vote to choose how they would like things to be.

Why keep it secret? What's the point in not saying how you feel about something?

Does anyone out there know a good reason for it?

I think it would be a good idea for everyone to be able to see how their votes were actually counted.

Is there no way (to print/post on-line/or however else they may decide to do it.) for those counting those votes to show what they came up with? I mean stating the full name of the voter and how their vote was counted.

I know it would be very time consuming for them to do that, and would take money as well, so maybe that's why, but without a doubt the technology is already out there to do it.

And what better way to avoid voter fraud than to post the actuall results for how your own votes were counted? If what they say doesn't match up with what you really voted for, it would give everyone the chance to set the record straight. (Again, more time consuming, but better in the long run I believe.)

Also, I'm sure that most of you know that voter fraud isn't the only thing that screws these things up. Those people counting the votes are human just like you and I. They do make mistakes just the same as you and I do.

Like I said, this is something I've been wondering about for a while along with a few new thoughts I just had and wanted to see what others thought about it.

I just think a system like this (even if it does take more time and money) would make things better in the end.

Thanks for your time.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
1) A lot of people don't tell who the voted for because they don't want to go down the discussion road of politics as it often leads to arguments.

2) Do you really think the people of this forum would actually want their privacy invaded by posting who they voted for?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
There are three things that you do not discuss in polite company....Money, Religion, and Politics.

These subjects start fights, believe it or not.

I'm guessing that is what your mother was focused on. She probably didn't feel the need to get into a political debat6e with someone whom she cares a great deal for. Nothing necessarily sinister, just a desire to not mix the metaphors, as it were....

My two cents...

[edit on 4-2-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
They want to use this secret ballot system merely because most people that end up president are already pre-picked.

Most of them are rigged, I honestly believe John Kerry actually beat bush when he "lost."

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
A secret ballot is one of the foundations of a Free People. Imagine if you worked for someone who held a different political viewpoint from you. It prevents retribution and pressure being applied to the electorate. If the counting process is open and verifiable, it doesn't matter that the ballot is secret.

I do however have BIG problems with electronic voting. I don't trust it. I say leave a paper trail.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

Exactly jefwane, if it aint on paper, it aint official.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Americantrucker

Because it is none of your business?
You don't ask a man how much money he makes. You don't ask a man how his wife is in the bedroom.
It is a persons private business who he votes for.
Some people are easily swayed to change their mind about such things under peer pressure. Would you want a voting system that allowed people to be shamed are harrassed into voting for a candidate? With a secret ballot a person does not have to tell you. Now personally I am not ashamed of who I vote for and would gladly show my ballot to anyone, but remember the weak voters. They have rights too.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I see now that I failed to mention some of the good points of a secret ballot system.

scottie18

"A lot of people don't tell who the voted for because they don't want to go down the discussion road of politics as it often leads to arguments."

So two people may not agree on whatever issue. So what? They each have their own views and their own vote. If it leads to an argument, then that is only their own doing.

"Do you really think the people of this forum would actually want their privacy invaded by posting who they voted for?"

If they feel it is an invasion to their privacy to have their votes publicly known, then no, I would not.

MemoryShock

"There are three things that you do not discuss in polite company....Money, Religion, and Politics."

What exactly is "Polite company"? (And also, is this a quote? If so, from who?) I can only ask you, why do you think that is? Why among "polite company" can you not discuss such things? I would think that would be the best place to do it.

"These subjects start fights, believe it or not."

I come from a big family, (8 children, all adults now.) so I have no doubts about that. I'm just wondering why that's the way it is.

jefwane

"A secret ballot is one of the foundations of a Free People...It prevents retribution and pressure being applied to the electorate."

One of the good points that I failed to mention, and something that I hope is illegal if it isn't. I have heard of it happening before. Not of retribution, but definitely pressure being applied.

"If the counting process is open and verifiable, it doesn't matter that the ballot is secret."

I think that's exactly what I'm getting at here. Is there any way for anyone who votes to check up on how their vote was counted?

Daz3d-n-Confus3d

"Because it is none of your business?...It is a persons private business who he votes for."

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

"Would you want a voting system that allowed people to be shamed are harrassed into voting for a candidate?"

Not at all.

I would like to see a voting system that allows each and everyone to vote openly without any fear of shame and harrassment from others no matter how they vote.

I'll have to think on this a little more, but thanks again for all your thoughts.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Prejudice, plain & simple.

Though most have already touched fighting with loved ones & friends.

It could go beyond that and effect your employment status too.

Being a private contractor and working in both utra-consertative, Bush loving, & sometime utra-religious offices and the other end of the Spectrum working for liberal, hard core Clinton fans, gay owned companies, human rights organizations and others. I wouldn't dare even tell some who my other clients are let alone make my personal political positions known. Nor would I tell a union company that I do work for that I also work for their non-union competitors.

Though I've had debates in the past forgetting my place usually while having drinks at a social function or just winding down after a long project - it more often then not leads to prejudice against me (couple times in 15 years) and does effect my relationships personally & professionally. I guess the better off financially you are as well as the greater your relationships the more you can afford run your mouth - so to speak. But, why burn bridges if you don't have to.

I keep my work and politics separate most of the time because its in my financial interest to do so. Though some relationships are strong enough to break that rule and I sometimes do, for the most part its not in my best interest and most would consider it unprofessional.

[edit on 15-2-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Thanks for your input.

I can see people disagreeing with each other, but when it comes to people not getting or losing jobs over something like that, there's something really wrong there.

That's what I'm getting at I guess. When and where did this all start? Why should there be any fear of letting others know who voted for?

With the election coming up, a lot of people are asking for a change. This is one change a lot more people should be thinking about.

(Missed a few words)

[edit on 3/1/2008 by Americantrucker]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
No more secret ballot? Over my dead body!!! Can you imagine all the forms of intimidation and coercion that could be leveled on the hapless voter if we didn't have it?

top topics

join