It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Citizens Tourch The Police State

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

UK Citizens Tourch The Police State

www.blacklistednews.com

TWO SPEED cameras were set on fire in the small hours of February 3 morning, firefighters report.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.chichester.co.uk

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
How long will it be before we start seeing this in the US? Little things like this are what escalate. You know something is afoot when you see cameras being vandalized on a continuous basis. I wish it said if the violators were kids or adults fighting against big brother. In my opinion this will not get much accomplished but only create difficulty in the fight against privacy stealing. These apparently are only speed cameras which are not entirely a bad thing. But all of the other info they can gain is what is scary.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
How long? Well, I'm not sure but when the cameras produce a more uncomfortable result than a traffic citation, I guess we will find out. I am in no way advocating this action but, you know they say, immitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

[edit on 4/2/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
While going after the root of the problem is the ultimate objective, attacking smaller obstacles could bring awareness of the main problem if done correctly.

Either it was a statement for whatever cause, or it was simple vandalizing.

Or it was an accident

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Meh. This has been going on ever since speed cameras and 'traffic control' cameras have been photographing speeders and red light runners. Old news.

They get burned, broken, stolen, spraypainted and all kinds of other vandalism.

Doesn't bother me much. I don't like 'em. It's one thing if a cop give me a ticket, but it's something completely different when some guy staring at a computer screen in another state does.

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Traffic cameras are showing up here in St. Louis, something I am surprised at given the attitudes of folks here. It was not long before I witnessed them being pulled down and rumor has it paint ball guns are effective. One of the other things that people are doing here is fighting the ticket. Tickets are attached to the driver not the car. The courts are filling up with people fighting the sitation. I am not sure but a company in Arizona manages the system. Retrieving plate numbers and sending 100.00 tickets to the car owner. The city and county here are only recieving a small portion of any money made.

MBF

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
A town near me has put up red light cameras. They are giving people tickets that go through a yellow light or make a legal right turn. It's just a matter of time before somebody destroys them. What ever happened to protect and serve? It seems like the police have just become money hungry.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

I lived in Phoenix for six years from 1996-2002. There were traffic cameras on almost every light. Now I am in upstate NY and I tell you we just had a headline in the local paper that said "run a red light, ticket is in the mail." So these are apparently now getting to smaller towns as well. I see it is catching on rather quietly. No one makes too big a deal of them. Until, as kosmicjack says, they produce a more uncomfortable result.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
Traffic cameras are showing up here in St. Louis, something I am surprised at given the attitudes of folks here. It was not long before I witnessed them being pulled down and rumor has it paint ball guns are effective. One of the other things that people are doing here is fighting the ticket. Tickets are attached to the driver not the car. The courts are filling up with people fighting the sitation. I am not sure but a company in Arizona manages the system. Retrieving plate numbers and sending 100.00 tickets to the car owner. The city and county here are only recieving a small portion of any money made.

Same thing in California, however the ticket is attached to the car, not the driver (you can't very well verify the identity of the driver without an ID, but you do know who that car belongs to based on the license plate).

It's a scam, and it should be outlawed. People have had accidents when the light flashes and blinds them or startles them. People have been in severe accidents because someone slammed on their brakes in an attempt to stop at lights that just turned yellow.

They're a menace.

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The argument here in Missouri is that the owner of a car should not be responsable for what ever driver was speeding or running a red light...deniability. The idea here is to jam the courts with folks fighting the tickets. If the city and county are losing money at the court level it won't pay in the end. I am unsure of the success so far, something I will look into. We have a rebellios nature here..we're the state that voted for a dead man over Ashcroft.

[edit on 4-2-2008 by Witness2008]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
The argument here in Missouri is that the owner of a car should not be responsable for what ever driver was speeding or running a red light...deniability. The idea here is to jam the courts with folks fighting the tickets. If the city and county are losing money at the court level it won't pay in the end. I am unsure of the success so far, something I will look into. We have a rebellios nature here..we're the state that voted for a dead man over Ashcroft.

That's been tried here, too. If the pictures are from that Arizona company, they take multiple pictures, including pix of the driver.

More power to you!

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

To be honest, I have no problem with defacement or destruction of these cameras whether they be for capturing speeders or for general surveillance purposes.

Even those pesky ATM cameras piss me off regardless if I'm doing something illegal or not.

Some will argue, "Well you're in a public space so you should not expect privacy."

That does not mean I should be RECORDED!

I actually flip these cameras off every time I pass by them, they're rather annoying. I hope they get a picture of the back of my middle finger every time.

I was talking with my girlfriend about this issue last night...

The more tickets people get, the more outrage from the general populace.

It may be a mere convenience, but these tickets are not cheap...Just another way to feed the police state. A few hundred dollars here and there adds up, especially when several hundred people get tickets every day.

My girlfriend was driving in Scottsdale the other day and the flash camera did not stop taking pictures of speeders...It was literally a non-stop ticket orgy...

Speaking of speed cameras...Mythbusters is doing an episode right now on how to beat one....

I think its rather funny
. Maybe they read our minds?

[edit on 2/4/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Here's one more thing about this whole traffic surveillance BS for you to get po'd about, biggie...

www.ocregister.com...
Special license plates shield officials from traffic tickets

The electronic transponder on the dashboard – used to bill tollway users – is inactive. The Camry's owners, airport traffic officer Rudolph Duplessis and his wife, Loretta, have never had a toll road account, officials say.
They've never received a violation notice in the mail, either. Their car is registered as part of a state program which hides their home address on Department of Motor Vehicles records. The agency that operates the tollway does not have legal access to their address.

The DMV first started withholding police officers' addresses from the public in 1978, back when anyone could walk into a DMV office with a license plate number and walk out with the car owner's home address. The purpose was to block criminals from finding out where police live, then using the information to harm the officers or their families.
Under the Confidential Records Program the name of the police agency appears in lieu of the officer's address.
In the first seven years of the program, lawmakers added judges, district attorneys – and themselves.

Remeniscent of something Aaron Russo said in his interview with Alex Jones regarding an ID to be held by the elites with KMA stamped on them (Kiss My @ss) Google Video - search 'An Historic Interview with Aaron Russo' if you want to see it.

new topics

top topics

join