It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quarter of Brits think Churchill was myth: poll

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Britons are losing their grip on reality, according to a poll out Monday which showed that nearly a quarter think Winston Churchill was a myth while the majority reckon Sherlock Holmes was real.

The survey found that 47 percent thought the 12th century English king Richard the Lionheart was a myth.

And 23 percent thought World War II prime minister Churchill was made up. The same percentage thought Crimean War nurse Florence Nightingale did not actually exist.

More...

Link.

Of course, things aren't so hot across the pond either.

I keep saying this... Is anyone surprised at the state of world affairs?

:shk:

[edit on 4-2-2008 by loam]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I could understand thinking Churchill was a myth in a few hundred years if people had no access to information but just a generation out with all the freely available access to information everywhere? This is screwy.

It's either complete ignorance or people are intentionally trying to forget him because his actions and beliefs interfere with some political or ideological direction these people wish to take. Sort of like denying the holocaust.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This does not shock me at all !!

my wife came home last week and said that the young (17-18) admin asistants in her office thought that WWII was in the 1960`s or 70`s.

other people i have met thought that it was the russians that started the war !!

the youth of today !!

snoopyuk

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Did you see the "across the pond" link? It appears to cut across generational lines.

This is obviously something that has been going on for quite some time, imo.

[edit on 4-2-2008 by loam]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

oh definatly , but in the UK it seems to be a youth thing ie. beneath 30ish.

not sure if it is a lack of education or a cultural thing.

snoopyuk

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Did schools stop teaching history? Vic hangs head looks at floor, rubs temples, gives head a shake. Wub-wubb-wubb-wubb-wubb! Hey Moe! This planet is in serious trouble. Whiskey.

Vic

[edit on 4-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Sorry to tell you this but your educational system is just starting to look like the one we have here in the US, very soon your children will be nothing more than TV zombies and will belong to the system.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Ouch....this hurts....as well as the youtube video linked above....

I really can't understand how this works...the people in Texas astounded me....how many sides to a triangle? 4...;....what?!?!

I am not surprised....but extremely perplexed...I mean, everyone knows that Sherlock Holmes was real....Conan O'Doyle was a fictional character....and Churchill was born in a mosque smoking Winston brand cigarettes....

When will people get their facts straight...?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I wonder if they have a nationwide "truth" movement that insists Mr. Churchill was nothing more than a hologram with “Doppler” sound effects? That all of the supposed bombing done by “German” bombers was, in fact, an inside job using controlled demolitions and 'thermite cutter charges'?

American “truthers”, meet your British counterparts. It should be a marriage made in heaven.

[edit on 4-2-2008 by SlightlyAbovePar]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SlightlyAbovePar

funny .....well i thought so ..

cheers

snoopyuk

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
OMG! This reminds me of a contestant on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. The question was:

Which is bigger?
A) Moon
B) Elephant
C) Sun
D) Mouse

And the guy had to use all of his 3 lifelines and still got the question wrong. He picked the Moon as being the largest object.

When you think about it, the Idiocracy movie feels like you're looking thru a crystal ball of what is to come.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by guppy
He picked the Moon as being the largest object.

You mean it's not?

:shk:

In the link I posted in the other thread, I was particularly disgusted by the White House spokesperson not knowing anything about the Cuban Missile Crisis... If this is a generational thing, then it's only a matter of time before more like her occupy positions of power.

Scary.

All very scary.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
So True. We need to know about our history. Else, we'll bound to repeat it.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Many Americans believe George Washington chopped down a cherry tree, and that Sadam Husein pulled off 9/11. The ease with which peoples perception of reality can be altered is really astounding , and the folks who are in charge of what is being shoveled into our brains are very scary and have plenty of motive to create their own version of reality and history.

I can't help of thinking about John Belushi's motivational speech in Animal House : "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? H#!! NO!"

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

You weren't kidding. Oh my. October Missile Crisis. White... House spokesperson. I'm.. I don't know what to... I'm glad I'm retired end of next week. Times change. Generational for sure. I thought it was just Ann Coulter who was historically-challenged.

"We will defend our tiny island...", "Never has so much been owed..."

Vic

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hey things are bound to get worst here in the US as Mr. Bush is planing to cut into education to help with the stimulus package, I guess we don't want a nation of financial savvies but rather spending freaks.

I told you the Uk will be assimilated, dumb and stupefied.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
There are people who think that kids in schools should not be taught british history because of some "morally objectionable" actions

i.e. Imperialism

There is a culture developing of hatred for all things british - I'm sure you've seen the stories about how people aren't allowed to fly their own flag because some might construe it as oppressive or racist.

BAH

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

1 in 4 Brits think Churchill is a myth.... lol

I dont know a single person that thinks this let alone 1 in 4.... please... this is the worst statistic i've ever seen, truly

In fact I challenge any Brit here to find a person that thinks this.. forget 1 in 4.

May I suggest that 3,000 people does not speak for 60 million and that the 3,000 people surveyed were either school children, from London (because half the people there were not born British) or just made up like most stats. Infact lets do a poll.... say theres at least 1,000 Brits here at ATS... now post your name if you thought Churchill was a myth - ...... aah forget it... this is too rediculous to continue.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
As it has been mentioned,british history has been brushed away.This survey didnt surprise me in the slightest.

times have changed!

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This is such a sad thing for me to see.

My son - who is ten - was recently learning about the second world war at school. He was tasked with teaming up with a friend to do a work topic of his choosing, and he chose (unsuprisingly really because of me) to focus on airplanes.

They chose three planes, the Hawker Tempest (kudos to my boy!) The Dehavilland Mosquito (again, top marks for the pick!) and the Harrier Jump jet.

And the teacher OK'd all three.

And it wasn't until I saw his homework that I realised what had happened, so I pointed out to him that the Harrier was only put into production in the late 60's and that it never served in WW2. I suggested that maybe he should use the Spitfire instead.

When he told the teacher he was changing it he was asked why, and when he explained what I'd told him the teacher was shocked because they had no idea it was the case

When I was at school that would have got a teacher sacked, or at least sent back to training to find out what the actual history was.

I made a mental note after that to teach proper history to my kids. They will both know who Winston Churchill was, and how important it is not to forget the sacrifices made in WW2.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join