It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GETTING OLD

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I turn thirty in exactly one month. I have looked back on thirty years of my antics and outtakes and I wonder..... Where the hell did my youth go? Are the best years behind me? I feel like ive seen and done it all already. Whats left? Where is the great mystery, the big adventure? What is there left to do? I think I might be drowning in boredom. Everyday its the same crap. Wake up, work, eat, sleep, repeat. God how pathetic. Is it a good thing I am so boring? Maybe its a good thing not to be constantly stuck in the quick sand of drama like so many people I know. Dont get me wrong I am happy. Its just hard to think of another thirty years. Anyways Id like some feedback.

Thanks,
Solar513

P.S Apathy blows.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SoLaR513

i am with you down to the day almost.
i turn 30 on march 6th and it is really weighing heavy on me.

whats there to live for you know?

i think that life is one big cosmik joke. the planet has been here for 4.5 billion years and has about that much time left. all that said, the average age for a healthy white male is 74 years old and that is the highest it has ever been.

what the hell is 74 years?
i mean once you do the math you see that it really is not too much living.
you first 10 and last 10 i figure are pretty much a waste. then you have to factor in all the time spent sick and sleeping. that adds up to some years. then you have to factor in working the usual 40 hours per and that adds up to some years so in the end, what is left?

people call 40 years old middle aged but it is not. that would mean we would live to 80 and most don't. 30 is closer to middle age and that really makes me depressed.

what is there to live for.
the past 12 years of my life i have spent in extreme pain due to a back condition. it is not going to get better so i get to look forward to a short life of pain.

medications that hurt my organs.

it sucks and if there is a creator he has a cruel sense of humor.....friggin 74 years if we are lucky....meh

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I remember turning 30 was kinda a shocker for me too but it's just a number, don't let it get you down or depressed. Next thing you know you will be hitting 40 and remembering how young you felt at 30...it's an endless cycle. lol

Just have faith, live and love....

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

it's just a number but it is one number closer to death.
i can't seem to shake that out of my head.
i mean, i am halfway to 60 yrs old......how in the hell does that happen

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It only gets faster from here on out....your 30's go much faster than you 20's. Remember you were one number closer to death on your 2nd birthday too. Really don't let it get to you bud....

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
It only gets faster from here on out....your 30's go much faster than you 20's. Remember you were one number closer to death on your 2nd birthday too. Really don't let it get to you bud....

i can't help it...believe me man, i wish i could be calm about it.....it is something that is really tearing at me....probably cause i fear death....that is the one thing i am truly scared of....i do not want to die....i think about it EVERY single day.

knowing it gets faster from here does not comfort me one bit....cosmik joke i say

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
My birthday is march 6. Halfway to 60. Thats what I keep thinking to. I also cant shake the feeling that this is middle age. Crap. I keep hearing that pink floyd lyric, shorter of breath and one day closer to death. Anyways....Pisces RULE. Cough cough. Sorry I got excited I might need to lie down for a bit.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Sorry I'm a Christian (lol) and can't help but be reminded of this passage.

Luke 12:25-26 (New International Version)

Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoLaR513
My birthday is march 6. Halfway to 60. Thats what I keep thinking to. I also cant shake the feeling that this is middle age. Crap. I keep hearing that pink floyd lyric, shorter of breath and one day closer to death. Anyways....Pisces RULE. Cough cough. Sorry I got excited I might need to lie down for a bit.

march 6 represent...me too.
halfway to 60...i'm right along with you. i think about it every damn day....this IS middle age. halfway to 60 and if we are lucky, we get 12 years more.....

i keep thinking about the zappa lyric---

'whats there to live for'....

really, what is the point? 72 years if we are lucky.....that blows ass..i want to live to like 3 hundo....then we'd be getting somewhere

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
well if you are only 30 and you live untill you are 80 you've got 50 yrs left!!

we all get old, we all die nothing you or i can do about it!!

there was a couple who recently got married and emmigrated to australia they are 75 and 85..

hey there's hope for me yetLOL

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
What is left? Thats the big question. 74 years is nothing and its almost over. More slaving away at my job, is that as good as it gets? What was the point?I figure we have 10 more years to discover the secret to eternal youth or I give up. I mean I shouldnt FEEL old right? My womans birthday is March 5 she will be turning 26 and says she is going to stay 25 for atleast 20 more years, and to look at her I think she might get away with it, but as a man I just dont have that luxury. I have more gray hair than I care to admit. I think its that view from the mirror reminding me that no matter what that damn clock just keeps on ticking and Im somehow just getting swept away by it like so much flotsom. Im more than a little obssesed by it at this point because I too fear death, I want to live and I have had my mortality slapped accross my face. It will end. Like my signature says...Life is terminal. Screw that and the donkey it rode in on.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by meremortal

IF you live to 80, and that is a big IF then you have 50 years left. afterage is 72...either 72 or 74 for a healthy white male....

lets say we do have 50 years left...after 60, what kind of quality is the life going to be, realistically...gonna be on meds for blood pressure and this and that...gonna be old and arthritic. gonna have some sort of problem....

chances are your spouse is gonna kick off so you get to live the rest of your days without the love of your life.....

i know i am mr negative when it comes to this but i can not think of a positive....

as much as i am afraid of it, the one thing i hope is that i kick off before my son and before my wife.....i am not mentally strong enough to deal with that and we are not supposed to out live our kids....
even if we get 8o years, wtf is that?
thats nothing...thats a flick in time when you look at the big picture....

i mean, why can't we at least hit 2 hundo? that would be good.
200 years old and then done...
i can handle that....72/74/80......not good

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoLaR513
What is left? Thats the big question. 74 years is nothing and its almost over. More slaving away at my job, is that as good as it gets? What was the point?

Im more than a little obssesed by it at this point because I too fear death, I want to live and I have had my mortality slapped accross my face. It will end. Like my signature says...Life is terminal. Screw that and the donkey it rode in on.

again, i am with you...what is left? if you are 30, what is left is 35 more years of grinding it out in the workforce....getting up early, coming home tired and rinse and repeat...is this as good as it gets?
yeah, it is...
whats the point? different for everyone i suppose....
'
when i break it down to it's most basic, my opinion is the point to life is to try and live as long as possible and to procreate but that is from an anthropological standpoint....
from a real world standpoint, the point is nothing.....just to be.

i am a little more than obsessed by it too. there is not a day that goes by that i don't think about it. i look in the mirror and i see the weight i have put on. i see the pockets under my eyes that always seem puffy. i think about the 5 vicodin i just popped cause i am in extreme pain do to my back. i think about the next 42 years i get if i am lucky....42 more years of pain. more years of grinding it out just trying to live my short as life as happy as possible....

whats there to live for? not a whole lot, thats for sure.....

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The QUALITY of life....I keep dwelling on that as well. I already have some nerve damage, I dont want to end up some arthritic cripple who cant get an erection. What kind of life is that? Im with you I am over the top negative about turning thirty and getting older. Theres nothing good about it. Im supposed to celbrate approaching senility? No thanks. The one positive, the only consolation that keeps me young at heart is my woman. But come on how much longer can a young hot woman still find my farting old butt attractive. Im afraid to think about not being able to keep up with her when she reaches her peak in her thirties because lord knows mine has come and gone.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I will be 61 this month. With my family history I could live another 20 to 30 years. Do I really want to live that long. I don't think I do.

Life is good and I want for nothing. I ride my motorcycle at least once a week. Other days I travel through the woods on my four wheeler seeing how far I can push that machine. Still other days I take my boat out fishing. Just returned home from a 10 day auto racing event where we took the camper and had a blast. We'll stay home for about two weeks to clean and prepare the camper for a trip to the mountains to celebrate my birthday.

The older I get the better life is. Long friendships are very dear and spiritual. My SO and I started making home made cakes and other pastries two years ago. Tonight we are going to make our first yeast rolls. Everyday we try to learn something new or do something we've never done before.

With all that is within me I'm going to live life to the fullest and get every last drop of living I can get before I die.

Oh and about death......there are much worse things we go through than death in this life. I will welcome it when it is time. Until then get out of my way because I'm living life in the fast lane. Woot Woot

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Thanks for your reply. I hope I can be that active in thirty years its just I already have a bad start. Too much abuse to my body. To much hard labor, way too many drugs, too much partying and the military. I already feel twice my age. Maybe its all in my head but it sure feels like the rest of my body.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
I will be 61 this month. With my family history I could live another 20 to 30 years. Do I really want to live that long. I don't think I do.

things like this i can not wrap my head around.....why would you NOT want to live another 30 years...?
this is not the first timei have seen a post like this either. several people on this board and others say they welcome death and they do not want to live very long...
WHAT?

i want to live as long as possible...i am scared to death of death.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Hey! The 30's are the new 20's. Thirty sounds so much more mature than twenty. People finally start taking you seriously once you hit thirty. Imagine how you view people in their teens. Maybe irresponsible, naive, immature, etc. That is how older people view those in their 20's. To them, everyone in their 20's is just "a baby." Besides, it seems everyone hits their peak in their 30's. I have 1 1/2 years to go before I hit that age and am actually excited about it. Not to be an obnoxious "Positive Polly" but be grateful for making it to 30. Not everyone gets that chance.
Thirty is a ripe old age in some parts of the world.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Hey! The 30's are the new 20's. Thirty sounds so much more mature than twenty. People finally start taking you seriously once you hit thirty.

Besides, it seems everyone hits their peak in their 30's.

i don't care how it sounds....it is one day closer to death, middle age, etc...it sucks...
as far as their peak...peak what?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Middle age ain't so bad! You're thru all that macho BS, indecision, and angst. Before you are thirty, you are still a kid, after thirty is the time to pay some dues. 40s and 50s you are just hitting your creative stride.

Like dizziedame, I feel great, happy, creative, sexual, and strong.

after all it's just "one day at a time"

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join