It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whoops—Italy inadvertently legalizes filesharing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
arstechnica.com...

The Italian parliament may have unwittingly legalized sharing music over P2P networks. A new copyright law, passed by both houses of parliament, would allow Italians to freely share music over the Internet as long as it was noncommercial and the music degraded.

Italian copyright attorney Andrea Monti told Italian paper la Repubblica (Google translation dug up on Slashdot) that whoever authored the law failed to take into account that the word "degraded" has a "very precise meaning." All music sold on the major music download sites is degraded, whether it's a 192kbps MP3 or 128kbps AAC file. Under the new law, music fans would be able to freely share their (not lossless) music libraries over P2P networks.

heh, oops. sorry RIAA. This comes at a good time, during the Pirate Bay "trials." How ironic.

[edit on 4-2-2008 by scientist]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Oh my. What a major boo-boo. How long do you think before they amend that?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
it seems that just about any legal process takes a while. im guessing a few months to a year?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
hopefully never... you can get music freely off youtube anyway... why should the consumer fork over ridiculous amount for music and movies when the artists get payed tens of millions of dollars, which they usually just waste on BS.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
legal or ilegal is the same people are going to continue to download

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemonkey
hopefully never... you can get music freely off youtube anyway... why should the consumer fork over ridiculous amount for music and movies when the artists get payed tens of millions of dollars, which they usually just waste on BS.

You can't find ALL music on you tube. We do pay ridiculous ammounts for music but most of it goes to the retailer and the record company. 10% will go to the artist. Thats why most money comes from live performances (long term).

Sure they do waste money on idiotic things but thats life.

I'll happily buy live performance DVDs though because there's more value for money (audio and VIDEO, extra features).

[edit on 6-2-2008 by amanbuthimself]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
they've been trying to shut down free downloading and file sharing since back when napster started and it took 20mins to download a 3 minute song. honestly i think people are going to do it regardless of whether or not its legal or illegal.

raptor

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

as long as it was noncommercial and the music degraded.

There is the word AND in there. That means it must be non-commercial, and degraded simultaneously, for that to apply.

Nice thought however.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Oh my. What a major boo-boo. How long do you think before they amend that?

Italy amend.

They can't even keep their parties straight.

I would wager decades if it even happens.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
This is only slightly ontopic, but have any of you guys heard of the "OFF System"? They are a "safe" p2p network with a twist.. Storing all their files in a random representation. They call it a brightnet, because anonymity is not needed. A really interesting concept. See: wiki.offdev.org...

new topics

top topics

join