It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim husbands with more than one wife to get extra benefits as ministers recognise polygamy

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
This irks me a great deal

Slightly off-topic, In my experience if you're white, British and heterosexual in the uk you are bottom of the list of everything including benefit entitlement, housing and health care. This country has become a joke and an easy ride to any immigrant that can get here, even if they are anti-british extremists. (Im not talking genuine asylum seekers here) Does any other country provide such a cushy lifestyle for fanatics out on the streets recruiting suicide bombers and promoting murder? I think not.
If you want to live in Britain then you should respect our culture and beliefs, abide by our laws and customs. Simple.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by xtr3m3paranoia

Speaking as somone who is white, British, hetrosexual and resident in the UK

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Speaking as some one who is white, British, hetrosexual and resident in the UK, I have to say that I've experienced none of the injustices you describe.

(apologies for the double post)

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Is this you asking 'If everyone else gets stuff why can't I'?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
speakin as a white, British, heterosexual male, you are bang on the money, the victim / division industry places us as the cause of the world's ills, so in theory, these "equality" laws are meant to apply to all, but in reality they rarely apply to us

Hence some **SNIP** from the BBC can call it "hideously white", yet I doubt he would call Brixton "hideously black"

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Crakeur]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

Hey, you missed working class out there.
Add that into the mix and you really are the Devil incarnate.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Hey, you missed working class out there.
Add that into the mix and you really are the Devil incarnate.

ahh yes apologies, a glaring ommission

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by xtr3m3paranoia
If you want to live in Britain then you should respect our culture and beliefs, abide by our laws and customs. Simple.

Have you ever considered that you DO NOT live in "Britain"... but instead that you live on EARTH... a place where tribes of various customs all reside together... and if you expect anyone to respect "your" culture and beliefs... perhaps you should grant others the liberty to hold their own beliefs and customs... regardless of which side of the fictitious line in the sand they are standing.

Simple. Liberty.

Now... that said... personal liberty should coincide with economic liberty. Perhaps the root cause of the problem is not crazy towel heads with multiple wives... But instead the socialized welfare state created by white heterosexual males looking to get elected to parliament.

Sri Oracle

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
Have you ever considered that you DO NOT live in "Britain"...

listen chum, I don't know what prehistoric age you have jetted in from, but I think if you check the odd geography book or two, or even with the UN, Britain/UK exists- welcome to the world of nation states

but instead that you live on EARTH... a place where tribes of various customs all reside together

I do not reside next to Amazonian tribespeople- if I decide to emigrate and live next to them I will respect their cultures- and I expect a reciprocal arrangement should they get on a plane to the UK

... and if you expect anyone to respect "your" culture and beliefs... perhaps you should grant others the liberty to hold their own beliefs and customs... regardless of which side of the fictitious line in the sand they are standing.

If they choose to come to another nation state, get with the programme, same goes if I toosh off to Pakistan (only, they don't tolerate non muslims so well over there)

Simple. Liberty.

on your terms

Perhaps the root cause of the problem is not crazy towel heads with multiple wives... But instead the socialized welfare state created by white heterosexual males looking to get elected to parliament.

welfare state was created in the 1940s when Britain was basically a white nation- who do you think would have introduced the laws, African bush tribes?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I actually remember an instance of this just after I finished Uni in Birmingham.

A friend of mine who finished at the same time as me couldn't find work immediately, and so went to claim benefit as he was in rented accomodation at the time and needed some money coming in.
He was basically told that he should "get a job" and was refused help - illegally I might add.
It wasn't until a friend of his went to the benefit agency (a girl of afro-caribean ethnicity) and remonstrated on his behalf that he got what he was entitled to.

I don't know the truth of this, but I've never known my friend to lie - and yes, he's a white, young, working class male.

Thankfully, I have never experienced this and have only ever heard of this instance.
But this shows that it can and does happen.

Frankly, I would be surprised if this was anything more than an isolated incidence, but the fact that it happens at all is surely a cause for concern.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Should we compare that isolated incident with the number of times someone of color walks into a government or business office and told to go screw? Not in so many words of course, but through placing their name at the bottom of the list or by saying 'we'll get back to you'.

Quite simply, the white, heterosexual male doesn't face the same hardships that minorities do in the world. If you can't see that then you need to look past the end of your nose. [Not you specifically Budski, that was more pointed at Blueorder]

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

This is why we now have affirmative action - personally I think the example of my friend was an isolated incident caused by someone having a bad day.
That doesn't make them right - just human.

I'd also suggest that britains record on race relations and harmony, not to mention civil rights is better than most and far superior to the US.

BTW - I couldn't get a job with local government in Birmingham, where I used to live - the jobs went to ethnic minorities not nearly as well qualified.

Affirmative action - not equality, so some members may actually have a point.

[edit on 6/2/2008 by budski]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I don't doubt that the British path to racial harmony has been a more successful one than the US's. The US is pretty jacked up, even today.

Originally posted by budski

Affirmative action - not equality, so some members may actually have a point.

I'm not sure what you meant by that exactly.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I mean simply that affirmative action does not always equal equality.

Affirmative action can sometimes be called "reverse discrimination"

And while some may feel that there is a need for it, can it be denied that this may cause more problems than it solves.

My view is simple.
A good person is a good person, and an ass is an ass, regardless of where they come from, what colour they are or what version of god they worship.

By the same criteria, a persons suitability for a job or for claiming benefits etc should not be dictated by their race, religion or nationality.

Equality is supposed to mean that all people are equal in the eyes of the law - whether that be employment law, criminal law etc

Affirmative action does not do this - it promotes people by virtue of race, colour or creed, and IMO this is wrong and can never work - it creates more problems than it solves.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

To quote Chris Rock...

"Don't get me wrong on affirmative action. I don't think I should be accepted for a job over a white person if I get a lower mark on a test. I don't think I should get accepted to a school over a white person if I get a lower mark on a test. But if there's a tie.....#$%& 'em!"

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Yup, that's how it should be - kind of......

But it ain't - and that causes a lot of friction.

Nice quote

[edit on 6/2/2008 by budski]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
[
Have you ever considered that you DO NOT live in "Britain"... but instead that you live on EARTH... a place where tribes of various customs all reside together... and if you expect anyone to respect "your" culture and beliefs... perhaps you should grant others the liberty to hold their own beliefs and customs... regardless of which side of the fictitious line in the sand they are standing.Sri Oracle

Maybe things work that way in the year 5008 or whenever you're from, but not here in 2008. Spouting utopian BS hardly serves to solve any of these problems.

[edit on 2/6/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Is this you asking 'If everyone else gets stuff why can't I'?

Why not? It's only fair that everyone "gets stuff" based on relevant criteria, including need, rather than racism (and yes, preferring blacks to whites counts as racism too.)

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Score another point for Political Correctness on the part of cowardly politicians.

First of all, if some Christian sect in Britain were to claim polygamy on religious grounds, would they get the same privileges as Muslims? I think not. Certain Mormons are the only example I can think of, and these are the extremist ones not afraid to call themselves Mormons rather than Latter-Day Saints.

I also don't like the idea of multiculturalism based on group/tribe rights as opposed to individual rights. This can only lead to mob rule. Suppose that some tribe believed, on racial or religious grounds, that it had the right to perform human sacrifices - i.e. murder a selected victim, whether a volunteer or not.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmTetsuo

That's something all those "trendy" liberal arts graduates from the sixties never understood - turning it around does not make it less racist.
It focusses the racism on a different ethnicity is all.

I understand the idea, I just don't understand the muddy unrealistic thinking behind it.

It puzzles me.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join