It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim husbands with more than one wife to get extra benefits as ministers recognise polygamy

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Aww, shucks. You're all making me blush.. Thanks, guys

I'm jealous

Anyway I have a feeling this thread will be a litte bit more peaceful now.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Hey, you're great too Phoenix

Better?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Ignorance is bliss, let's blame the muslims.........Yawn!!!!!!!!!!. It's not muslims destroying this country. It's our pitiful excuse for a corrupt government who think they are above the law. Their goal is to destroy everything that was once good about this nation and they are on the verge of succeeding and frankly I can't see them failing. Voting Tory or Lib Dem won't change a thing. I guess nothing lasts forever, but there's always that fascist EU constitution to look forward too.

Maybe some of these muslims would have somewhere to live if countries like Britain and the US weren't bombing the crap out of their countries and turning them into wastelands. Is it any wonder they flock to the UK and US. Personally I call it poetic justice. You reap what you sow in this world and what you fear & hate will eventually turn up on your doorstep. Give it some time and I'm in no doubt, we'll all get on like a house on fire.
It's a marriage made in heaven and let's face it, we deserve one another.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
reply to post by Beachcoma

This is one of the reasons why I like the net - no judgement based on colour, nationality or religion (apart from the odd one or two)

Yeah,

You'd never guess that I'm a 12 year old white girl.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand.

Morally, I don't see a problem with Polygamy if everyone involved is in agreement. It's their life, let them live it.

Governmentally, if monogamy is recognized, then so should polygamy. Again, it's up to the individual (or group) and their particular belief system.

Tax-wise, If it's legal, and a man with one wife (or woman with 1 husband) gets a tax break, then it should be the same for someone with multiple spouses. It has nothing to do with tax payers spending money supporting people because the amount is so infinitesimal that the figure won't even be noticed by any tax payer. It seems like just another reason for people with deep seeded prejudices to bash Islam.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
What splendid news!

I am so happy that another group of individuals will be able to have a nice lifestyle thanx to me and the other hardworking people of Britain!

How about ministers recognising the long term continually employed,(23 years for me),and give us a damned tax rebate!

[edit on 4-2-2008 by scobro]

Marry multiple women and convert.

Either way just think of the headaches having multiple wives would cause. Sorry one is enough for me thanks.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Is it a means of bashing the islamic faith or a means of pushing the beliefs of a different faith on the rest of the population?

same as not recognizing same sex marriages in my eyes.

and for the record, there's usually no tax benefit to having more than one wife and the added cost and nagging resulting from more than one wife would counter any tax savings one might actually have.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

And I can vouch for that! In my time here on ATS I have gotten more flack for supporting Israel and U.S. policy. Thanks to guys like Beachcomma and Bodrul that actually take the time and educate people like me on many aspect that I was ignorant about Islam and ME issues I have adjusted my views a lot.

You can see by the many comments on ME threads that the majority of members are supporters of Arab countries/Iran on the issues.

Keep up the good work BC!

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

The Op stated that someone with the extra wives could pick up an extra £10,000 PA in benefits - not tax benefits just social security or dole.

If you read what I have been saying all through the thread, you'd realise that I don't dislike Islam.

Monogamy is the law of the land - and no exceptions should be made simply to appease a minority of a minority.

[edit on 5/2/2008 by budski]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This post made in jest........... maybe. I've been married twice, not at the same time. WHY would someone want the headaches of more than 1 woman at a time?

Guess it was in jest after all.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Monogamy is the law of the land - and no exceptions should be made simply to appease a minority of a minority.

Just because something is the law of the land doesn't make it right does it? I know of a few 'laws of the land' that prevented certain races from drinking from the same drinking fountain or certain genders from voting.

And yes, those races were minorities.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

So you equate slavery and oppression with a law not allowing polygamy?

Not the best analogy.

Like it or not, the democratically elected government and the populace see no reason to change this law - and why should they?
Would you go to a country that had sharia law and demand to be able to get drunk? or have sex with married women?
I wouldn't, because I would respect their laws whilst a guest or living in their country.

And that's what it comes down to - respect for the law of your country of residence.

In this case, maybe polygamy = bigamy?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I think you are comparing apples and oranges. Those were human rights violations, allowing people to have multiple spouses is not.

What I believe it should happen in this case is to leave it to the people so they can vote on it.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I'm disassociating 'law of the land' with 'right and just'

thats all.

And laws are meant to be changed. It may take a while to fight through prejudice, but that's what the civil rights movement, and woman's suffrage was all about right?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Are you saying that not allowing polygany is unjust or oppressive?

Should I go to another country and obey the laws of britain while I am there, completely ignoring the laws of that country?

Some laws just ARE and comparing polygamy to human rights or suffrage seems a bit of a stretch.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Well, I had to take a bit of a break from this thread otherwise I think I may have ended up suffering the same fate as kangjia.

The one good thing was seeing how so many Muslim members maintained their dignity and integrity through it all.
It has certainly brought home to me that maybe there is some middle ground and that we can co-exist with mutual respect.
Respect to all.

I will continue to follow the thread and sincerely hope that it will continue in the manner in which it has resumed and how it had been conducted for about 7 pages.

Oh, and to Bud and all the others, regards for expressing yourselves a lot more eloquently than I ever could.

[Edit to add further comments and my spelling, yet again]

[edit on 5-2-2008 by Freeborn]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I'm disassociating 'law of the land' with 'right and just'

thats all.

And laws are meant to be changed. It may take a while to fight through prejudice, but that's what the civil rights movement, and woman's suffrage was all about right?

I've got to agree with budski here. I think it's "right and just" to be able to enjoy some Scotch, but I sure wouldn't in some Muslim nations. Their laws, cool. I'll wait until I get home.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Personally, I don't believe religion should impact government in any way. Laws should not be written around religious beliefs. I think it's 'right and just' to be able to have a shot after work, even in a Muslim country. I just realize it's a bit more difficult to change things in there.

Here in the west, we're always talking about how much more advanced we are socially, and more accepting of people's differences. It seems like that it has it's limits, but why this is a limit, I have no idea.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

That's just it though Raso. Even in the West we have different cultures. Try to conduct yourself in the States the way you could live in the Netherlands and you'd end up in jail. Law of the land.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
It's an imperfect world we live in, and whether we like it or not, many western governments are also based originally on christian ideals.

This is ingrained over a period of time until we forget the christian ideals and just call it democracy, for the most part.

Most of western government is based around the ten commandments and the bible in one form or another - it's just that most people have forgotten the "root" of our laws are the same as our beliefs (in general)

I'd welcome changes in the law provided they were sensible, and provided other countries reciprocated.

Then muslims or mormons could have their extra wives, and you and intrepid couls anjoy a shot if you were in saudi.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

It's an imperfect world we live in, and whether we like it or not, many western governments are also based originally on christian ideals.

This is ingrained over a period of time until we forget the christian ideals and just call it democracy, for the most part.

Most of western government is based around the ten commandments and the bible in one form or another - it's just that most people have forgotten the "root" of our laws are the same as our beliefs (in general)

Very true, I mean just look at marriage these days lol.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by _Phoenix_]

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join