It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm considering joining the Army.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I for one think it would be a hell of an adventure. Much more interesting than the typical mundane life.

I say go for it if you realize the possible consequences and you have the balls to do it.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
My father was a commander of a medical battalion in the army and when I decided to serve he urged me to go Air Force. Some people really don't know about the standard of living and how it differs between each branch of service, but I know from serving six years in the Air Force that it far surpasses what I have seen in the others.

From a family with a broad military background in all branches of service, the Air Force just seemed the most logical choice for me. In fact, my stepbrother just got a guaranteed position as a linguist for the U.S. Air Force and ships out in a month or so to Lackland.

-ChriS

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

Not about the money or the benefits. I'm going there to save lives, make a personal difference. I know exactly why those people are shooting at us and to be honest, I don't blame them. I'd probably be doing the same. And part of being human is sacrifice. I'm in no position to hurt anybody by ending up dead or other, so why not put my life on the line for some of those who do? Life and death is absolutely relative. Bring it if it comes. I'm still waiting on some court stuff, but I talk to a friend about it and he said from the way it sounds Combat Medic is the direction I want to go in. I'm waiting to hear back on all the other stuff.

And Blaster, this was only partially directed towards you as you can probably tell. I thought I'd just roll them all up in one reply.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
And I am an "individual." I'd love to see some Army prick try and change that. They don't know who they're # with. Hahahaha. My arrogance alone will deflect any brainwashing or reprogramming they may attempt.

You're joking, right? Because the Army doesn't have a sense of humor. Not one bit.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
DFB, you won't make a good soldier. You question to much and have way to many issues with authority. The Army dosen't like this in the ranks.

If you can't be molded into the warrior that all brothers in arms are meant to be then you will just be a hindrance and danger to the mission, what ever that might be.

USAF is the way to go if you are convinced the military is something you want to try.

[edit on 4-2-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   

I've been doing a lot of thinking while traveling and well, as the title says I'm considering joining the military, specifically the U.S. Army..... Helping people collectively may be the only real way to "fight back," you know?

Well first off, we are far from being used as "cannon fodder for a few special interests." There is a real reason behind this war, and believe it or not, it has nothing to do with "special interests". These interests did not create AlQaeda, or Bin Laden. They did not create the insurgency, or Saddam's decision to revamp his CHEM/BIO Programs. Sure, some "Interests" might take advantage of such a conflict (such as Oil companies raising prices), but they did not create the evil we must face on a daily basis. You really need to understand this and the importance of the mission before joining up. You need to also understand that many Iraqis and Afghanis for that matter are on our side, and willing to fight the "occupiers" who actually happen to be Chechens, Egyptians, Iranians, and Arabs. I could show you countless letters of praise from villages across Iraq, those who lived their lives in fear and depression, but have now found hope since America arrived. There is an entire side to this war that the mainstream media wishes to ignore, simply to support their anti-war agendas.

Believe me, those who wish to pull out and give up are nothing short of ignorant and foolish, to say the least. This right here is our big chance to change the trend in increasing Islamic Fundamentalist attacks, which have escalated greatly in the last 40 years, as we idly sat by and did nothing. They have victimized fellow Muslims, and preyed upon the innocent for as long as one can imagine. It took a great American tragedy on 9-11 for the United States to come to her senses, and realize we must put an end to such acts of evil wherever they may exist.

If you really wish to join up and become a medic, go ahead and send me a U2U. At the very least I can help direct you to more information and give you some guidance.

BTW, "helping people collectively" as you put it IS the right way to go. The guns and bombs are only one facet of the War On Terror. They are necessary, but if you really wish to accomplish the goals you have stated, I feel you would be a good addition to the Military.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Even though I have concerns about your personal safety if you join, if it's what you really want then you should do it.

The things you end up regretting most in life are all the things you didn't do.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
like lesbian stuff...

anyway!

The Army is not something that your abilitys deserve. Try applying with the government,
to get a real job. Get your classification levels and work in the office, where we need peo-
ple who are politically minded. Totaly , Go for it!

Also I am a man... i dont want, to get you mixed up, after that lesbian comment.
Thanks,.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

This is a personal decision that has been weighing heavily on my mind for awhile now. I can't # and moan about what is going on over there, but do I know? No, I don't. Am I making any difference in anybody's life easier sitting here in idle? No, I'm probably not. The world is full of free thinkers, but do any of them put their neck on the line for their fellow human being or just push harsh criticism on a war they're not fighting?

The biggest part of growing up is reconizing your purpose or passion. What a big step that is, I know lots of 40 years olds that don't know what they want to do when they "grow up".
As I am pro military, so this post may be one sided.
First, there are other organizations besides the military that can offer medical training and will expand your gift of languages and put you in the middle east of other places of need. There are many non-military relief efforts going on that pay very well, what comes to mind is the construction and protective companys that are going over there to the tune of 90,000. a year tax free. Your local job service might be able to help you research them.
Now, for the military, there are many service people comming home with problems, and many that are not.
Talk to every branch of service, in todays market it is about what you can do for THEM not the other way around. Have clear expetations on what you want out of it. Always read the contract many times. My 17 yr son went through a type of bidding war between a couple of the services before he made his choice in January. He enters as a E-3 he gets a 15,000 bonus after the completion of bootcamp. He has a guarantee on his schooling that gives him an out if for any reason if it would come not available. He will not leave the states for 2 years (something we bargained for). He is fast tracked for officer training.All of this is in his contract that we sent back 3 times untill it worked for him.
The medical field has phenomal bonuses. It doesnt sound like your in it for the money, and if that is the case then use the money for additonal relief efforts. But remember this is hard work and you deserve the benifits also.
The Army, airforce and navy have huge entre benifits that include cash bonuses, loan and past bill forgivneses, and the ability to enter into the service at an E-3 or higher. All three will put you "on ground" in the thick of it for both languages and medical.
If you are stead fast in your beliefs, no branch of service will be able to "brain wash" you into believing anything.
Always keep in mind that this is not only a contract but also a commitment. I could throw in all that "Pride for you country" but it realy does come down to each and everyones personal commitment to change and the path you walk. Never forget the world is changed one person at a time.
You have my support in any decision for or not for the service. It is great to see someone who knows they "have" to do something and is willing to actualy do it. Any questions on military feel free to u2u me.
ps. speak with recruiter about your pending legal, they may be able to help.

[edit on 25-2-2008 by starskipper]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kattraxx

And I am an "individual." I'd love to see some Army prick try and change that. They don't know who they're # with. Hahahaha. My arrogance alone will deflect any brainwashing or reprogramming they may attempt.

You're joking, right? Because the Army doesn't have a sense of humor. Not one bit.

Before I went off to basic training on 11 Nov 1997 I was afraid that I would lose my personality. I didn't want to be replaced by some other version of me. When I was in basic training at Lackland AFB I would do mind exercises whenever I had a moment to myself (during chow, standing in formation before/after chow, in the evenings). I wasn't religious in any way but i was spiritual (if that makes sense), so I designed a poem/prayer that I would say to myself in my head.

After basic training and 3 months of tech school I realized that I hadn't really been changed at all. Your perception of reality goes away when you have 4 hours of sleep anyway (or less). You get grilled, yes. You get put down and demeaned, yes. But it isn't for brainwashing anyone. It is solely there for the purpose of initiating you into a specifically-operated bureaucratic military system that relies on you to get your job done right while adhering to their standards and their rules. After basic training, I didn't hate the government less, believe in things less, or otherwise lose my humanity. It wasn't that bad when it was all said and done.

When you get back into your real job away from all the barking and ordering around of basic training, it isn't that bad. It's more like a civilian job that has military order. Sometimes the way the military does things isn't exactly efficient, but this is the government we're talking about. When I got to my first base at Little Rock, AR everyone told me to shut up and stop calling them sir. We weren't all uptight like that, but we were professional. My flight was a close family that worked together and knew each other very well. When we were in the middle east we would have done anything for each other because we were freinds with family back home.

6 weeks of air force basic training was extremely tough mentally. We did have to achieve a specific number of pushups/situps based on various factors like weight, sex, etc.. We also had to pass the obstacle coarse at lackland (which really isn't that bad anyway). The other branches are where you will really be tested/tried physically AND mentally. Plus the basic training lasts much longer (not sure for army or marines). 13 weeks for army?

-ChriS

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I say go for it. even with an ongoing conflict and two countries occupied, I was rejected by the Army for my previous criminal background (I have four felony convictions)

I wrote one letter to Charlie Christ, that has yet to be answered, because the recruiter told me it could be a 50/50 chance if I wrote my congressional representative or Governor. It was not a very full letter at the time though, so I am going to try again.
I do volunteer service with Tampa Bay watch occasionally doing restoration projects for the local bay area ecology.

I also became a member of CERT (community emergency response team) this spring and learned alot. But I truly desire the experience in leadership and teamwork as well as discipline and cultural exposure the military could bring to my life. That is why I keep on truckin. My scores were good enough to get me into most any jobs they had, but my background was just too dirty.

If I have any advice for the younger generation it is, dont do crime man it will ruin your life. I am only 22 years old and am now probably permanently denied alot of good career opportunities in life.

Your not gettign any younger, I say go for it and do your best! Maybe all my endeavors will eventually pay off and we can meet in a foreign location one day.

dont give up on your dreams.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I was in the exact same situation a few months ago. For no real apparent reason, I really wanted to join the military, and fight for my country. I could do it. Physically, I'm above average, I have quick reaction time, and I'm good with a firearm.

But, I gave my head a shake, and realized death is at high risk.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

I just had this talk with my youngest daughter. She's 18 and had thoughts of college or the military.

I told her, without any impartiality, now is not the time to join the Army or Marines. Air Force and Navy are the forces to look at. I also told her with her size, she is 5' 3" and around 100 pounds at the very best, that she would be better suited for the military after college so she could join as an officer.

I also told her is is over 18 and can make big girl decisions as it is her life.

She had a 2 week vacation in Europe to think about it and when she came back, she's going to school and then military service. We'll see about the service part after she has some college.

Now for you, DeadFlagBlues. I'd look at the Navy as a medic. I'd give you the same advice as I gave my daughter. Now is not the time for Army or Marine heroics, you just want to serve and receive some OJT along with some benefits for when you get out. The Navy will be more than happy to help you aspire to be all you can be.

Good luck with your choice and I do wish you the very best....

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I have been thinking heavily on this myself. Actually for about a month. So I'm right there with ya.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Keep in mind that the recruiters make it sound so glamorous and and respectful. I listened to a recruiter at the local library talking to a prospect and I just couldn't believe how obvious it was to me that this guy was full of crappola. just be careful and don't get wooed by recuiters. Try to get second hand information from a outside source of your own.

reply to post by tetsujin420

You are so correct. You don't want to step into something thinking its just a pile of sweet smelling pudding!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I would recommend that you look into the Navy. I'm currently in the Naval Reserves and full time college student. I'm working towards a commissioning in the Navy, meaning I want to go officer once I graduate from School. LOOK INTO THE NAVY!! Is all I can really say.

Best Regards,

Richie

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join