It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm considering joining the Army.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I've been doing a lot of thinking while traveling and well, as the title says I'm considering joining the military, specifically the U.S. Army. I want to become a field medic. I want to see service, and I'm much unconcerned with the consequences while serving in Iraq, or anywhere else I may be needed. I've done a considerable amount of complaining about the actions of my country, but what have I accomplished? Swayed a few minds here and there on the internet and in real life? I would like to know real time what I am complaining about, and why I am being so critical of a conflict we are all really censored from. I would also like to aid the Iraqi and American people over there being used as cannon fodder for a few special interests. Helping people collectively may be the only real way to "fight back," you know?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
So you are saying you would like to be a medic so you can get first hand experience and understanding of the situation?

[edit on 4/2/2008 by Nyorai]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Reply to DeadFlagBlues

???What???? Are you serious???
I never thought you would ever join the US millitary!!

This is just crazy i am gona hit my monitor with the chair!!!

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Well dude just make sure your mind is made up 238%. If you have any doubt at all, I would wait and think about it again. Well thats my crazy rambling for today...peace!

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyorai

I would also like to learn Farsi, Arabic, and Kurdish languages. It's not only to find out what just exactly we're fighting and first hand experience of what is going on "over there," but to genuinely help people. Even if they are some of those that are shooting at me. I almost joined the Marines out of High School, but after some deep thought, I convinced myself that the Marine Corp wasn't the right place for me. Now I'm having some serious thoughts about entering the service again.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by kangjia57

No sweat Kangjia. I refuse to change for anyone. It's going to take more push ups than they have to change who I am and how I feel about the situation.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

I completely understand the yearn to help.

You have to understand the implications of joining the military and entering the front lines, which I am sure you know. You will no doubt remember it for the rest of your life. PTSD and serious injuries are common. Though I am not trying to sway you either way.

Responsibilities in life such as family are priority.

I have thought about the training and experience the military could give me, but have personally decided to research and practice these things on my own.

As Tensujin420 said, you have to be absolutely sure. Sure with a clear conscience for a long time too. Whether it is a certain desire you wish to fulfill, I recommend looking to fulfill this desire at home if possible. You must be sure you know what it is exactly that you are looking for.

In the United States we are given more opportunity to spread a message than most places in the world. I hold this with great thanks and value. The actions of our country are much to be held accountable by ourselves as letting those in power exploit us and others.

I am thinking now that the devotion you harbor is strong and with good intent. And you can direct this devotion in any way you feel is best.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Reply to DeadFlagBlues

No sweat Kangjia. I refuse to change for anyone. It's going to take more push ups than they have to change who I am and how I feel about the situation.

Yeh but IE…….dahdahdah Deeeeeeessss????

Ohhh common you know the situation!!!!! Its not gona be as easy as going in, have a look, write a story and come back home.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
DFB, the only thing I worry for you is possible PTSD. Otherwise, go for it.

Better to be a real warrior than an internet warrior, ya know?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I wouldn't wish war on my own enemies.

Come back with your stretcher or on it.

Best of luck.

MonKey

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
A very respectable decision to make DFB.

If any of you are frequenters of PTS, you know my stance on the war and our military.

I wake up every morning feeling my heart tugging me in the same direction, and if it were not for my wife and daughter, I would already be serving. I commend you for even considering this and know in my heart you will make the right decision.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'm more afraid of realizing things may not be the way I think they are over there than I am of death, injury, or post traumatic stress disorder.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I believe the operative words in your OP are "cannon fodder".

Here's an idea: go to the VA hospital and talk with some war vets about your decision.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

Interesting idea. Speaking with veterinary leaders or regulars would definitely give a different point of view.

DeadFlagBlues, a lot of the time people become interested through glorifications distributed by the army. I don't know if this the the case, but I can assure you that the army generally tries as much as possible to refrain from the words "Death, kill, maim" when it comes to US soldiers. Ultimately a whitewash.

The experience however would be unprecedented, and it will change you.

Questions must be asked, "What is the goal for the future, what is best for yourself and others," and, "What might be both the worst, best, and realistic realities/outcomes."

Take care

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Speaking with veterans of war will give you the closest thing to truth that you will find. Period.

And you will get both sides of the argument as well.

Some veterans will support the war they fought in. Some won't. You'll still have a decision to make, but at least you'll have input from the only people who really know the truth.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
What the poop man? You dont want to do it. I can tell you first hand it is a mistake you will regret. I know I did. I was a medic in the army. What a miserable job! Hope you dont have any friends or family you want to see anytime soon because you wont. You like freedom??? Because thats exactly what you personaly have to sacrifice to fight for it. Hope your not much of an individual because thats pretty much frowned on. They like to make people into little green cogs in their machine. Medic huh? You must have talked to a recruiter to be talking about helping first hand and making a difference and all that? Ever seen a bowel eviceration in person? They arent pretty. I can sit here and tell you all the recruiter bull about experiences you wont get anywhere else. Travel to exotic places. How Ft. Sam Houston the home of Army medicine where you would receive your A.I.T has the highest ratio of females to males of anywhere else in the Army. I could go on at length about the real world benefits of education and job training but did I mention bowel evicerations? Trust me man it takes a special kind of robotic fortitude to do what your talking about. Your making a difference here. If everyone opened their eyes and realized whats really going on over there they wouldnt even need you. And for my final point I would just like to say that if you look around I dont think any of us are going to be here much longer so I recommend enjoying whats left of freedom while its here. The world is probably going to end soon whetheror not you join the military. We civillians need free thinkers more than the military needs more soldiers. Peace be with you no matter what you decide. Good Luck.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
By the way, I dont mean any disrespect what so ever. Please understand that. I just know what it can do to good people. I didnt think it would change me but it did. I have tremors in my hands that make changing channels and taking a piss a problem for me. I have involuntary body movements from what feels like a sudden shot of electric current run through me and Iwould bet the farm The Army did it to me. I was tested at near genius level and had a photographic memory, now I get my own children confused. I sometimes cant remember what I did yesterday. Just thought I would share.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Your going to be totally letting go of the old you . If your strong and determined you may retain enough of your former self to rebuild on once you get home .

If your apposed to any part of this war(s) . NEVER say a word . Do not go against actions, and shoot at whatever they say to right or not .
If you make this decision . It will be the last you make for a looooong while .

Don't think for a second that you will get to chose anything. If you refuse to fight/shoot/kill . There is a chance that you will be taken care of .

I know you want to help . And i would never say not to go . There are good people over there dieing and they can never have to many medics.

I'm not a religious man . But if you are . May god be with you .

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Guts and gore don't scare me either and I haven't talked to a recruiter. This is a personal decision that has been weighing heavily on my mind for awhile now. I can't # and moan about what is going on over there, but do I know? No, I don't. Am I making any difference in anybody's life easier sitting here in idle? No, I'm probably not. The world is full of free thinkers, but do any of them put their neck on the line for their fellow human being or just push harsh criticism on a war they're not fighting?

I'm waiting for some news from our friend SimDei that knows a Major in the military. I have to see if my criminal screen will pass. Class C Misdemeanor assaults. If that's the case, I'll research my decision for about 6 months or so. If I start to lean toward joining and I know they'll accept me, I'll devote 3 or 4 months of my life to studying the regions language and go from there. I learn everything fairly quick and would love to make my own personal difference "out there."

And I am an "individual." I'd love to see some Army prick try and change that. They don't know who they're # with. Hahahaha. My arrogance alone will deflect any brainwashing or reprogramming they may attempt.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
Am I making any difference in anybody's life easier sitting here in idle? No, I'm probably not.

Would you make anybodies life harder by going? Parents, Girlfriend/wife, kids, friends? How would they take it if you were injured or KIA?

I'm waiting for some news from our friend SimDei that knows a Major in the military.

Wasnt he banned? Or do you have other connections to him?

If he was banned, anyone know why? I missed that part...(same with Major_Malfunction, i go away for a week and all of a sudden the heavy posters are gone...)

And I am an "individual." I'd love to see some Army prick try and change that. They don't know who they're # with. Hahahaha. My arrogance alone will deflect any brainwashing or reprogramming they may attempt.

I wont pretend to know what techniques are used in BT to mold you into a soldier, but I do know that every mind has a breaking point....

We at ATS will stand behind whatever decision you make, and we all hope that should you join up, that you will come back safe and rejoin us here.

[edit on 4-2-2008 by InSpiteOf]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join