It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Warns Taiwan of "Heavy Cost" for U.N. vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   

China Warns Taiwan of "Heavy Cost" for U.N. vote

uk.reuters.com

BEIJING (Reuters) - China raised the pressure on Taiwan a month ahead of its referendum on U.N. membership, warning authorities there that they were courting danger and may have to pay a heavy cost.Beijing used strong wording in its first official reaction to Taiwan's announcement on Friday that it would go ahead with a March 22 vote on whether to seek U.N. membership under the name "Taiwan" against opposition from the United States and China.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
english.aljazeera.net

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Taiwan is really pushing its luck.Beijing is not gona stand Taiwan to hold a referendum on joining the United Nations and has Warned it.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
The situation with Taiwan has always worried me. I honestly don't understand how one little nation can hold the fate of the world in its hands like it does. I mean, if the US is true to its word and will defend Taiwan from Chinese aggression, then this small event could be disastrous.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
'opposition from the united states'

what? i thought the US were all for Taiwan independents (well recognized anyways)... i think if china does anything countries may start boycotting the Olympics.. and china wouldn't want that.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Of course, China doesn't want that...which country would. But you must take history into account. For the past century, plenty of land was taken from China by Foreign countries.

Even Taiwan's own constitution still states that they are the ruler of all china, and was even representing China in the UN until 1971. Even now to this day, the civil war is still technically waged.. Thus indicating that this is a domestic issue. The losing party cannot simply says "OK game over.. we don't want to play anymore, so leave us alone.. and you can't have Taiwan".. the other party must need to agree first.

Second, you don't seem to understand Chinese. History has shown that the Chinese usually mean what they say.. not like those political BS we have in the West. I sensed that Olympic or not.. if Taiwan declares independence, China will take Military action. Else Taiwan would have done it long ago, and US wouldn't be playing the tension. You know the "We recognise One China" - But " we have a "Law to defend Taiwan" ?

top topics

join