It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity Needs a New Name

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
From someone spiritual, but not of any religion, I have a question to those Christians on ATS...

Before I start: I was raised a Christian, and the only reason I'm not anymore is simply an inner awakening, a realization that a loving God allows the majority of his creation into his presence upon death, no matter what religious beliefs they may have been raised with.
So before I ask this, just know that I respect all religions, and I believe there are many ways into the gates of heaven... SO i mean this with absolutely no disrespect, and with a sincere desire for knowledge...

With all the mistakes that main stream Christianity has made in the past, and all the propaganda we see on TV, and close mindedness of people of other sexual orientations and religions, doesn't the name Christianity bring a sense of negativity with it?

I know, I know, not everyone in Christianity is part of this propaganda, but I believe the name ore phrase "Christians/Christianity" makes most non believers cringe when they hear it...

Just the other day I was driving behind an Atheist... I knew this because of his bumper stickers. I was appalled by the negativity of all the bumper stickers speaking negatively of other religions. What I noticed most though, was that ALL the stickers were simply dealing with Christianity. This offended me because why would an Atheist only back talk Christianity and not all the other types of religions?

Like the Atheist was doing, Christianity pushes its religious beliefs on people. Sure the crusades are the best known for this, but even the spanish missionaries etc... I though Christians were supposed to lead by example... Are people not supposed to see something in Christians that make them want that feeling? Its not supposed to be something forced, but something desired...

But i KNOW that you "Christians" here on ATS are not like that!
I KNOW that you guys do not actively try and force your view on others, and I know that by denying ignorance you are open to the possibilities of many things without denouncing your faith in Christ...
So isnt it time to separate yourselves from mainstream Christianity?
The Church is not supposed to be some powerful enterprise sweeping over the earth, it is supposed to live inside each and every one of us.

For those of you that agree with that I'm saying, I just think it best to separate yourself to the title of "Christian." Christianity is not what it used to be, and like the protestants separated themselves from the catholics, I think its time you separate yourself from Christianity. Give yourself a new name, not simply a new division of that name.
I believe this change will better your cause.
You might not be aware of it, but I honestly believe that when people here the word "Christian" they automatically shut themselves off to what you have to say, and its not because of you, its because of the association that comes with that name, all the negativity and falsity that people identify it with.

You should know by now that people are people, regardless of religion we are all children of God, the Creator, Mother, Deity, Whatever his/her/it's name is.
So lead by example and others will follow. They will see something inside you that these other Christians dont have, and perhaps then there will be real interest... not interest out of fear or dreams of glory and riches in heaven, but genuine interest in the peace you hold inside.

Christianity, Buddhism, when you get to the core of the teachings from their holy beings, it is all about peace, living a good life, and treating people how they should and deserve to be treated... not all the other crap like more rewards for donating, eternal damnation for not believing, and a feeling of we're right, you're wrong, lets not interact...

Anyway, I'm not sure if I've done a good job of describing what I really mean, but I so hope you all get the point...

Yes, naming a religion is another form of separation... but at the same time, everything has a name, and sometimes names simply need readjustment...

With a hope for Inner Peace,
Odessy

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Maybe they could hire the same consultants used by Amway who re-branded as Quixtar telling everyone it wasn't Amway, but now they are changing the name back again...you think main stream Christians are wierd? Wait till you meet up with this brand of them!

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I don't see christianity as a religion. I think that's the problem. chritianity simply means to "Live like Jesus" and "Follow the word". doesn't mean you have to go to church, use bumper stickers or anything like that. You also don't need mediators like pastors or preachers to tell you the word. once you read the bible, accept jesus as god. you are on your way to freedom and happiness and you shouldn't have to go to church and sing like my sister does. it's you and God. and that's christianity. Get up in the morning, go to a mountain, the beach or a cave and pray. or just pray in your bedroom or talk to god in the car. just make sure you follow the teachings of jesus..only then you will be a true christian.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Howabout:

BSers that think they know what it was like to be the christ and they fool everything up with their selfrightous behaviors while their pride lies to them telling them they are saved already

anity?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

anity?

ad an "ins" in front of it...

lol JK JK everyone, i just couldnt resist.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by Odessy]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

True. So the new brand of x-tians would not only tell you that you are going to die if you do not repent, but either way, buy some detergent and toilet paper and to take with you.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

What I noticed most though, was that ALL the stickers were simply dealing with Christianity. This offended me because why would an Atheist only back talk Christianity and not all the other types of religions?

When was the last time a candidate ran on the platform of "bringing Vishnu back into the Constitution?"
How many Wiccan covens are billion-dollar profit machines granted free time on public airwaves every morning?
Ever heard of Jewish groups blowing up clinics, night clubs, and government offices?
Don't see the Klan burning many yin-yang symbols.
No American judge is putting Sharia law before the Constitution
I've never had any teacher tell my little sister she's going to burn in hell for all eternity unless she accepts Amaterasu into her heart
Ever seen an atheist try to put a label in a history book saying "The mythologies within have not been proven and are up for great debate?"
Where are the Vodoun asserting that it's better that wee allow millions ot live in pain than to "kill" frozen zygotes?
When did we last hear about a bunch of Sikhs raping children trusted in their care, and then being utterly unpunished because their central authority declared itself above the law and got agreement from the authorities?
When was the last time a guy whacked on your door first thing in the morning and asked to come inside for several hours to regale you with the glory of Odin?
Never heard anyone declare "We are one nation under Eris, and we were founded on the principles found in the Principia Discordia!"

The reason Christians get the brunt of the blunt trauma is because they have the same proportion of jackasses as the rest of us... but at 80% percent of the population, they have a much, much higher real number of fanny-wipes in the ranks.

[edit on 5-2-2008 by TheWalkingFox]

[edit on 5-2-2008 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

Outstanding post. You just basically described a religious tradition I recently mentioned on another thread here called Unitarian Universalism. The UU's did indeed come out of mainstream Christianity, and separated from them, for the very reasons you mentioned.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

Official Message for the Thread Author Odessy

Odessy, please click the link below. You have an urgent message from the staff.

CLICK HERE

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy
From someone spiritual, but not of any religion, I have a question to those Christians on ATS...

Before I start: I was raised a Christian, and the only reason I'm not anymore is simply an inner awakening, a realization that a loving God allows the majority of his creation into his presence upon death, no matter what religious beliefs they may have been raised with.
So before I ask this, just know that I respect all religions, and I believe there are many ways into the gates of heaven... SO i mean this with absolutely no disrespect, and with a sincere desire for knowledge...

I have read countless Near-Death-Experiences, perhaps 99% of those I have read leave you with a warm, fuzzy-happy feeling. I have even read Near-Death-Experiences of people raised in traditional churches and in comparison to what they experienced, against what they were taught, they conclude the experience was not like what they had been lead to believe through traditional church doctrine teaching.

When I was confronted by these numerous accounts and individual experiences, I had to ask myself, "Do I take these accounts and judge them over and above the Word of God, or, do I judge those by the Word of God? Noting, that we are living in a time that many are calling "a spiritual awakening" which in turn, the scriptures would define as a "great deception."

I see people throwing away, or, better worded, defecting the faith, for evidence of higher enlightenment and spiritual awakening. All I know is, in my personal case, where the masses are congregating, for me, I will choose to avoid this great spiritual awakening that seems to be taking place and not budge from the foundation that was laid 2000 years ago.

The best advice I know, where the masses are heading and what seems popular, is usually a good indication to turn around and go the other direction. All roads do not lead to one definite place.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdposey
I will choose to avoid this great spiritual awakening that seems to be taking place and not budge from the foundation that was laid 2000 years ago.

But there are foundations even older than those laid out 2000 years ago.

If you lived in a different area of the world, you would have been raised a different religion. Older than Judaism and Christianity.

Ive always wondered, If Adam and Eve truly were the first humans on earth and had direct contact with god, why was Judaism not the first religion?
The first religion was that of a mother goddess...

Ive strayed from christianity due to my upbringing in it.
I look back, and don't like the closed minded person I once was.

I'll say it again, if you were born in another part of the world, you would be of a different faith...

What makes us any better than them, or any more right?

If you take the word of almost all the holy figures, the message is the same

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

Actually, I don't think I am better than anyone on this thread, or, any other thread for that matter. I wasn't raised in a Christian home, I came by chance to that faith and at present, I don't belong to any church or claim to be of any denomination. What holds me to it, is the goodness I have bene shown these 30 years.

I am somewhat of the same mind that an 86 year old Christian man was before he was executed for his faith. He said, "Eighty and six years have I served him (Christ), and in nothing hath he wronged me; and how, then, can I blaspheme my King, who saved me?"

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
How about the true believers of the faith retain "Christianity" as the intended meaning to follow the spirit of Christ and the ones who fail to understand the truth and the spiritual significance behind it stick with the literal man Jesus. They can then call their religion:

Jesusism

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
In reply to jdposey:

please pardon my use of words.

I don't think that you personally think that you are better than anyone else.

I was referring to many of the people that claim they are christians today, the same people I talk about in my OP.

And I know that there are christians that do good and live good lives, but what makes them any more right than the people of other faiths who also do good and live a good life?

People say they are christians because they have been enlightened or have had spiritual revelations... But the same can be said for people of other faiths.

But what I was aiming at originally in response to you post was that there are many other faiths that are over 2000 years old and still hold up in the present and whos message is almost equal to that of christianity... treat people equally and have peace of mind

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Odessy]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

I like this thought.
I was saying that the true followers should change their name, but I like the idea of the fakers changing their name instead.

However, I dont think the naysayers will budge since they think they are right.

new topics

top topics

join