It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another undersea Internet cable damaged in Mideast: Indian firm

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I would really like to see a report from the team that goes out to fix one of these cables. They can probably tell a lot from looking at the actual break. If it is a clean cut then we know it was deliberate. If the break is ragged and the cable was pulled out of its previous location it could have been a ships anchor or something like that. Of course, it is likely that someone going to all of the trouble to cut an undersea cable would probably have the ability to make it look like an accident.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by itguysrule
If it is a clean cut then we know it was deliberate. If the break is ragged and the cable was pulled out of its previous location it could have been a ships anchor or something like that.

How about a torpedo?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by broli

I imagine a torpedo would work just fine. However, if a weapon as powerful as a torpedo was used it seems like someone somewhere would have detected it. I don't know, I am just guessing.

It all depends on the message the "perpetrator" (whoever it was) wanted to send. If the intended message was "I can do this anytime and you can't stop me" then a torpedo would be an excellent choice.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
This is a pretty interesting nugget of knowledge.
New submarine can tap fiber-optic cables

It looks like the USS Jimmy Carter has some pretty interesting capabilities.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

It appears that Iran has not been affected by the cable cuts.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by itguysrule

It could be just as simple as a half-pound charge of semtex tagged to the cable-sheath with a remote detonation device that could sever such a cable...planted during cable-laying for such an eventuality and would barely even cause a ripple on the surface waters or register on a seisomograph?

Also, a division of the Russian fleet has been posted to that meditteranean area, and on it's way from port to post through Norwegian North Sea waters, severed a drilling platform pipeline...coincidence or practice run?

[edit on 4-2-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

If you read Stumason's posts on this thread Undersea Cables, oops or oh-oh? he goes into quite some detail about the scale and size of the technology required (multiplexors and what-not) to extract information from a transnational fibre-optical line carrying data at a minimum of 40Gb a second...not that feasible underwater it would seem

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Have 3 or 4 cables been severed?
If it's 4, then I find it hard to believe it's an accident.

I wonder how many more cables would have to be cut in order to completely hault internet/web access via a hard line?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
these cables are like between half a foot thick to a foot thick, they dont just get ragged and cut. Especially consider the chances of this happening twice in such a short time. This have clearly been delibratly cut. Now as for the US invading Iran, its doubtfull they will get help from NATO and will piss alot of people off, especially the Chinese. As China have significant deeling with Iran for oil. Now pissing off China would be oh so Stupid considering how much American debt they own.

This is obviously a tactic to either delay the Iranian oil Bourse till the American Economy picks up. Or it is one of many planned operations to completely sabotage the oil bourse.

en.wikipedia.org...

January 2008 Iran's Finance Minister Davoud Danesh-Jafari told reporters the bourse will be inaugurated during the anniversary of the Islamic Revolution (February 1-11) at the latest.

Just wait till it Mysteriously explodes from a gas explosion, or cruise missile!

[edit on 4-2-2008 by spoonbeater]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
So with Iran in near total comms blackout, would it be possible for anyone to know if Iran were being invaded and/or attacked? What IS going on in Iran? Has the Iranian government issued any statements regarding this?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Cables were also damaged last week in the Mediterranean and off the coast of Dubai

afp.google.com...

there is always lot of construction going on in Dubia, they are always making new islands, maybe they dug to deep?

realestate.theemiratesnetwork.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

According to Reuters, the damage was attributed to a ship's anchor, which dropped on the cable off the Egyptian coast.

www.arabmediasociety.com...

I thought this was interesting,
Telecom Egypt signs deal for new undersea cable
www.itp.net...

Earlier reports said that the damage had been caused by ships that had been diverted off their usual route because of bad weather."The area is also marked on maps as a no-go zone and it is therefore ruled out that the damage to the cables was caused by ships."

www.abc.net.au...

Hmmm, I think somebody's not telling the whole story.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thDoctorWhoFan

It has been four. Link.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Here is a 2007 undersea cable map of the area. Hopefully someone can make some sense from it.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thDoctorWhoFan

Thanks, Doc. I spent 30mins to an hour looking for a good map the other day, and came up with nothing. This is great to see.

I believe the "cuts" occurred in the areas I have circled...

[edit on 2/4/2008 by damajikninja]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
And so the attack on 'the enemy weapon system' begins...I don't think anyone who has done their homework would believe all of these happenings are a coincidence.

How soon till this 'accidently' happens to the states? Then our only source of info will be from the corporate sponsored, propeganda-spewing MSM.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Actually for some odd reason it has affected parts of American.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by damajikninja

so that is four cut or ruptured in two locations?

How does one rupture?

According to another web page Undersea cables are vulnerable to large fishing net also.

english.peopledaily.com.cn...

I thought it would be interesting to find out how often this happens and what some of the causes are.

[edit on 022929p://bMonday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
here is another,

A spokesman for Flag Telecom Group, which operates one of the cables, said six ships were diverted from the Alexandria port because of bad weather and one may have severed the cables with an anchor.An official who works in the customer care department of du blamed a fault on an undersea cable located between Alexandria, Egypt, and Palermo, Italy.

www.iht.com...

Any recent earthquake activity in the area?

How one clumsy ship cut off the web for 75 million people
www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 032929p://bMonday2008 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I've been following the border break between
Gaza and Egypt, the West (including Israel and Abbas)
is none too stoked with the idea that Egypt is
working with Hamas in brokering some kind
of border crossing deal, practically recognizing
them as the power brokers of Gaza.

"...Any role for the Islamic militants on the border would be sure to anger the international community and Hamas' archrival, the moderate Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, because it would amount to tacit recognition of Hamas rule in Gaza."
www.siouxcityjournal.com...

By the way, a covert op such as disabling data cables
would be just another day at the office for Navy SEALs
working completely underwater from submarines.

[edit on 2/4/2008 by papiowhisperer]

[edit on 2/4/2008 by papiowhisperer]

<< 1    3 >>

join