It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate looking to extend jobless benefits as an aid to failing economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   

enews.earthlink.net

Can more jobless benefits cure as well as treat symptoms of ailing U.S. economy?
By JESSE J. HOLLAND (AP Labor Writer)
From Associated Press
February 03, 2008 3:22 PM EST
WASHINGTON - For a bipartisan majority of senators, providing three months or six months of extra unemployment checks to more than 1 million jobless people is a better way to dig the U.S. economy out of a recession than just printing tax rebate checks.

Some economists agree, and undoubtedly, so do the nearly 1.3 million unemployed workers who face losing an average $282 (euro189) a week in benefits before June.

But there is strong opposition leading up to a Senate vote in the week ahead on whether to add an extension of jobless benefits to a $161 billion (euro108 billion) House-passed combination of tax rebates and business tax cuts.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Pretty sad when extension of jobless benefits are the last gasp of delaying the inevitable whooshing sound of the economy and jobs rocketing down into the abyss. How about limiting outsourcing instead? Nah, then you all wouldn't get your kickbacks. lol

enews.earthlink.net

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I don't see how this will be beneficial. It's like putting a band-aid on someone who has gangrene. This will jack up unemployment insurance for businesses. In turn, those same businesses will be more hesitant to hire anyone back or anyone new because because of the added unemployment insurance. In turn, people will wind up being unemployed even longer. It will also up the cost of doing business in America because unemployment benefits have to come from somewhere and its the businesses that have to pay.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

enews.earthlink.net

Can more jobless benefits cure as well as treat symptoms of ailing U.S. economy?
By JESSE J. HOLLAND (AP Labor Writer)
From Associated Press
February 03, 2008 3:22 PM EST
WASHINGTON - For a bipartisan majority of senators, providing three months or six months of extra unemployment checks to more than 1 million jobless people is a better way to dig the U.S. economy out of a recession than just printing tax rebate checks.

Some economists agree, and undoubtedly, so do the nearly 1.3 million unemployed workers who face losing an average $282 (euro189) a week in benefits before June.

But there is strong opposition leading up to a Senate vote in the week ahead on whether to add an extension of jobless benefits to a $161 billion (euro108 billion) House-passed combination of tax rebates and business tax cuts.

I thought Ole George Bush said the US Economy was doing just fine? (Note : Sarcasm). Yes and more tax cuts for the obscenely rich friends of the Elites. The people who "actually work" and pay the over bearing taxes are the lower middle class who work from paycheck to paycheck .

The people who are receiving unemployment are doing so because our Government gives Billions to companies to move out of the country and displace the American workers.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Well, they helped me after 9-11. I lost my job at the cape after the attack and those benefits sustained me till I got back on my feet. It might help...

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Do you think they can keep a straight face when they propose this crap? It feels like a practical joke is being played on the American public. "The joke isn't funny anymore...."

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by vance

You don't see a difference between what is going on now and what was going on after 9/11? 9/11 was a short term tangible event that people could identify and recover from, right now we are in an economic limbo that has no foreseeable end in sight. Extending the unemployment benefits a few additional months is going to do nothing more than delay the inevitable. It isn't addressing the problem at all and it certainly isn't going to stimulate the economy.

I think this will help a handful of people that are on unemployment. It could stretch them out long enough to get back on their feet. However, most people who are facing the end of their benefits are still unemployed for a reason (no marketable skills, no job openings...etc) and a few extra months isn't going to change anything. Again, this may help a handful of people, but it certainly won't help the economy as a whole. Do you think someone that just had their benefits extended is really going to go out and dump a bunch of money into the economy? They are going to stretch it out as long as they can to merely survive.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Karlhungis,

That makes perfect since to me Karl, good reply. Sometimes it is hard for me to see past what has/will benefit me. I didn't really look at the big picture did I? Thanks for pointing it out.

Vance

new topics

top topics

join