It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let Them Eat Cake!"

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

I'm not supporting your idea. I'm saying that's its easier to mass produce crappy food rather than healthy food.

I'm saying that in the long run it's healthier and cheaper to buy fresh healthy food in bulk and prepare it for your meals. It takes all of five minutes to make a sandwhich and no time what so ever to fill a bottle with water and throw an orange in a bag for your lunch. In fact the time taken to make a sandwhich is probably less time than waiting in line for some fast food crap. Chinese stir fries take maybe 10 minutes at most and they are healthy too if you make them right and don't add in a lot of salt and fat!

And yes, choosing a burger over a packed lunch sandwich is lazy and not really time saving either if you take getting to a shop and waiting in line into account.

It's sheer laziness.

[edit on 7-2-2008 by monkey_descendant]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
reply to post by monkey_descendant

I'm sorry but I don't buy it. Cheap fast food meals aren't cheaper than buying large amounts of fresh vegetables, fruits and wholegrain foods and then making things from scratch. It doesn't even take that long to make food from scratch.

There are people who cannot afford to buy large amounts of anything at one time, and others who have no place to store it if they did. Also keep in mind that cold storage costs money, as well as preparing foods at home. To make an accurate asessment, you have to inlcude the "overhead" in your cost per meal, which most people tend to take for granted.

That's rubbish too. Then whoever can't afford to buy half a pound of carrots can buy very cheap canned vegetables and fruit in plain water or juice rather than salted water or syrup. This is what I do, since I can't always afford bulk and don't have fridge/freezer space because I share one with a lot of people. Preparing a sandwhich or a salad doesn't take a lot of electricity or gas.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I'm saying that's its easier to mass produce crappy food rather than healthy food.

Yes it is. Hence the ferocious campaing to put it into people's stomachs. Crappy mass produced food is cheaper and more profitable. This is not contrary to my postings.

And yes, choosing a burger over a packed lunch sandwich is lazy and not really time saving either if you take getting to a shop and waiting in line into account.

Does the food just magically appear in your cupboard? Do you have magic grits?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

That's rubbish too. Then whoever can't afford to buy half a pound of carrots can buy very cheap canned vegetables and fruit in plain water or juice rather than salted water or syrup. This is what I do, since I can't always afford bulk and don't have fridge/freezer space because I share one with a lot of people. Preparing a sandwhich or a salad doesn't take a lot of electricity or gas.

Canned vegetables have little to no nutritional value. You might as well eat the Sunday Times in a bowl of water.

Keep in mind you also must pay for water and detergent for cleanup, as well as plastic containers to carry your lunch in.

Please don't misunderstand me either. I am not trying to argue that people cannot or should not make better choices, and more informed decisions. What I am trying to highlight here, is the trend in the opposite direction, and that this trend has been deliberately implemented.

[edit on 2/7/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If anything that quality of food has gone down but it's still healthier to eat vegetables and fruit than fast food!

The reason the quality in food has gone down is because we have to support a much too large population on this planet and we are wasteful.

We need pesticides (like it or not) to make sure there's a large enough crop to feed everyone.

Yes there are methods to farm without pesticides (which subsistance farmers use) but because of the risk involved it's not such a good idea.

Why do you think organic costs more? Probably because organic farmers are left with less crops because of disease and things.

If anything we should be thankful that we even have a food supply considering there are 6.5 billion people on this planet. But soon there won't be because when a population outgrows it's habitat it always dies off a bit. That's nature for you.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Canned vegetables have little to no nutritional value. You might as well eat the Sunday Times in a bowl of water.

Keep in mind you also must pay for water and detergent for cleanup, as well as plastic containers to carry your lunch in.

Please don't misunderstand me either. I am not trying to argue that people cannot or should not make better choices, and more informed decisions. What I am trying to highlight here, is the trend in the opposite direction, and that this trend has been deliberately implemented.

Actually canned vegetables and fruits have a lot of nutrional value because they are preserved.

And you don't have to wash your plastic box everytime you use it unless you put soup into it or something. A sandwhich isn't contaminating, nore is water in a bottle. You don't worry about how the slices of bread in a bag of bread are contaminating each other do you?

And yes advertising is a nasty way to get people to make bad choices, especially children.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
ok, I'm going to stop posting in this thread because I think it looks like I'm being mean even though I'm not intending too...

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I'm saying that's its easier to mass produce crappy food rather than healthy food.

Yes it is. Hence the ferocious campaing to put it into people's stomachs. Crappy mass produced food is cheaper and more profitable. This is not contrary to my postings.

Does the food just magically appear in your cupboard? Do you have magic grits?

I don't know what you're implying. It's more time saving to make a sandwich in the morning and take it with you to work than than to wait in line for a burger during your lunch break...

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

You do make some very good points.
In the end it does come down to personal choice.
And there is always a choice.
However there are many people who seem to be unable, or unwilling to make good choices - and as always, there are those who are more than willing to exploit the weak.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Please feel free to post any scientific evidence you have which may refute any claims that I have made.

First off, the burden of proof lies on the person making the claims, namely the OP, not with those who disagree with him.

That being said, I had to respond to this comment:

Here's a study done which flat out disproves that rediculous statement.

Nutritional Content of Fresh, Frozen, or Canned foods.

To sum up the article: "Consumers should be confident that if a food is suggested as being "high in nutrient X," then the form (canned, frozen or fresh) will not alter that."

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Yet another false statement.
Yes typically canned fruits are slightly less nutritious after processing but comparing them to paper is completely absurd.

Oh my god come on. You mean the 2 cents of water and 1 cent for detergent? Give me a break !!!

I'm still waiting for actual evidence that people are modifying foods to deliberately harm people.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This is a great thread!! And the OP gets a star and flag from me!
This not only strenghtens the way I think about this world.. But it also taught me a few things I didnt know..

Its true. And its a sick and twisted world we live in.. I wish I could do more.. But the more I try, the more I am beat back.

Why try to help out your fellow man, when most of them dont want the help. They would rather be tucked in sleeping away their lives...

I try, but at every turn I meet a brick wall head first..

After a few bumps and bruises.. I must find a new method of attack..

[edit on 7-2-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This is a VERY VERY interesting article indeed.... we are like THE only country with obesity.. because all our food is loaded with chemicals, processed, ect. Belive me, ive worked with people fomr europe and latin american coutnries, and ALL of them, not many, like 24, not one of them understood obesity here, or why our food is crappy...
When i was in my early teens, i used to work for a food market here. Very often, ide see them rotating out fresh or still good vegetables and fruits, merely because of packing dates, rather, being thrown into the compactor... and i had thought, even to this day, look how expensive healthy food is, and all because it says to throw at on x date, even though it still looks fresh was a HUGE waste....
Yes 20 years ago, ony unatural thing abuot food was candy or nestle quick (synthetic chocolate milk) or pwdered milk, or cereal. NOw its literally everything!!!!
also, the fruit and vegetables we eat, may not be a healthy as you think.... a guy thier in the produce department used to tell me about how some of the frutis were treated before or after export... bananas, were typically sprayed witha gas, to killa certain tree spider that would hide inside the skin, and also, a kind fo hormone inhibitor, that helps to prmote ag ripining.... and of course, thiers the usualy pesticides, un natural fertilizer, ect still o the fruit, tha have seeped ino it

Thsi is what i had learned,...... with the exception of Africa, the rest of the world i eating better than us!!! hell you never hear about cambodians or vietnamies starving form eaing nothing but rice!!! here, weve been tricked ino buyin corporate scandelous greed and food; (
Myabe we should go in groups into stores, with baseball bats masked, and beat the crap outta all the fake food(which should prety much be 89% or more of the store) then run out ; ) Cost them money andtime let em know, NO MORE!

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
On the same note( Want to add more info for all to decide or belive)......
A guy their at the time, had told me, it was common practice eyars ago, for example, with eggs.... when the carton expired, they would just simply rotate the old eggs out into new cartons or mix em with fresh carton, and put up front, so thei markdown is decreased... which would explain why in the early 90's, ide often read articles about salmonela poisoning. The deli, at least were i worked theyd very often not wash thier hndas after using the bathroom (mens room on weekends looked almost as bad a biker bars toilet, sad to say). or do sexually suggestive things with suasage, salmi, bolgna, ect pefore placing on the display counter. Yeah, those guys were messed up, and a main reason i eventually quit... didnt agree with it, especailly since i too WAS a customer.
I had replied to apost here, not too long ago... about fast food resteraunts, dont trust em. Guy i work with, years ago, his friend used to work in a wendys... he used to spit int he food, 2 occasions he ejaculated into it, because he though it was funny. One time i was at a taco bell, and returned my soft shell tacos because they were jsut shy of luke warm, and loked like dog food... i went through such a hassle, tryin ot get a new order or my money back, which i didnt. and our local mcdonalds, god knows what they do...
the point to me? places like mcdonalds are major corporate businesses now, and from what i see and gather, when they get that big, they stop carring about the customer, because they have got power and connections now, so things slide,a nd not a thing can really be done about it.
Best bet, is to grow your own garden. use water filters (you can buy them for about $50) attch to garden hose to filter out the cholrine, so you dont ingest it.
Sorry if i turned this into a book lol, but wnated to add my opinons and facts, and maybe hep everyone else out

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   

If anything that quality of food has gone down but it's still healthier to eat vegetables and fruit than fast food!

This is certainly correct. Even if the nutrients have been depleted, there still are foods that are more healthy than others.

The reason the quality in food has gone down is because we have to support a much too large population on this planet and we are wasteful.

I had thought this for a long time, but are we really there yet? Or is this more NWO propoganda? Are they training us to accept the lower standards and eventually open depopulation campaigns, simply because this is what nature has ordained? Or are they doing this for profit and consolidation of power? If you accept that there are simply too many people in the world, then you must also accept that the population growth must be halted and reversed as quickly as possible. How convenient for the NWO agenda.

If being wasteful were really that much of a concern, our leaders would be doing something about it. Instead, they do nothing, revealing their true intentions and motivations.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
A too large population isn't some NWO conspiracy it's science and it's nature.

This is what happens in cycles to all animals: they become too many and then the population is drastically reduced.

Of course 6.5 billion people is too much, why else is all of the earth's natural resources being depleted?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Actually canned vegetables and fruits have a lot of nutrional value because they are preserved.

Well, this is true to a certain extent. Fresh produce loses nutritional value quickly, while canned the value remains fairly constant. But with canned you must consider the additives and preservatives that are quite unhealthy. Then you also have to consider that the nutrition is lost when you pour off the water. You also have to consider wether or not the vegetables were packed at optimum value.

As far as strict nutritional value, I will concede that canned probably has about as much as slow-boiled vegetables. But again, you must also consider the other factors in the canning process as well.

And you don't have to wash your plastic box everytime you use it unless you put soup into it or something. A sandwhich isn't contaminating, nore is water in a bottle. You don't worry about how the slices of bread in a bag of bread are contaminating each other do you?

I will concede this point. But you can't get away with not doing the dishes forever. Even if it is just the knife to spread the peanut butter. I just wanted to point out that this is an added expense that is often ignored.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

ok, I'm going to stop posting in this thread because I think it looks like I'm being mean even though I'm not intending too...

I have not taken offense to your posts, and apologize for getting a tad snarky.

I am actually enjoying having a fruitful discussion on the topic as opposed to repeating myself to disinformatioanlists.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I don't know what you're implying. It's more time saving to make a sandwich in the morning and take it with you to work than than to wait in line for a burger during your lunch break...

The "magic grits" thing was a reference to a Joe Pesci movie titled "My Cousin Vinny."

But on subject, this is a trade-off for time spent in the market after work. You are still spending time on line at the market, after spending time shopping, and yes even the few minutes you spend making the meal.

On the other hand, I would much rather have a half-hour to eat my lunch from home, as opposed to spending more than half my break on line and swallowing some junk-burgers whole.

Again, this goes toward the psychology of the people. If you are under pressure, you are always in a rush, and the comfort of takaing the time to enjoy a nutritious lunch from home goes out with, "I want that report on my desk ASAP," and "You have to pick up Johnny from soccer practice before you go to night classes."

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

we are not well off either, not by a long shot, and im no fanatic about food,
BUT
I sort of see it as my parental duty, as in one of the main responisibilities of being a parent, or even a Pet caregiver to provide healthy balanced diets.

we went out to eat for chinese new year tonight, and he had fried chicken, fried shrimp, white rice, and lo mein noodles...followed up with jello, canned peaches and ice cream with sprinkles.
but i dont worry about it because i know that over time he is getting a healthy balanced diet from a variety of food groups

I mean seriously how hard is it to rip up some lettuce (not Iceberg)and chop a tomato,

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join