It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let Them Eat Cake!"

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
This topic has been popping up in other threads, so I figured I'd try to bump this back up to the top, in hopes that some more people will pick up on it.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well, I guess that settles it then. Americans are being slowly but systematically starved to death, including all the fat people.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I think that one of the problems in America is also the size of the portion,i was amazed by the amount of food people put on thir plate,most of the people overestimate how much food you need in a day,for example if you eat a hamburger for lunch but without the fries and have a simple salad for dinner you will beagn to lose weight if you are fat,and you wont gain a any if you are already thin,as someone above said that he/she lived only on berries and nuts and felt great,i tottaly agree.And not having time is no exuse,try this:take one piece of white cheese,squezze one tomato,and scramble two eggs mix it together in a pan on medium heath,and voila you have delicious lunch or dinner in 5min.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by adnachiel21

I think that one of the problems in America is also the size of the portion...

The over-portioning is directly linked to the lack of key nutrients, as well as addictive additives.

take one piece of white cheese,squezze one tomato,and scramble two eggs mix it together in a pan on medium heath,and voila you have delicious lunch or dinner in 5min.

I would add a dash of seasoning as well. But the problems with that dish are as follows. Eggs and cheese are high in cholesterol. But far worse, is that American cheese is overprocessed. Furthermore, if you are not using an organic tomato, you are really getting no nutrients (or flavor) from it.

[edit on 3/24/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Here is proof of what I have been talking about. It's far worse than I had hoped, and is coming far more quickly than I had expected.

Codex Alimentarius (Mandate That Will Starve 3 Billion People to be In Place by 12/31/09)

[edit on 4/7/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Ok I am confused in the USA do they have Nutritional information sheets in the fast food restraunts like they do here in Canada?

for example Burger King Chicken Fries
Nutrition Facts
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 serving (128.0 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories
Calories from Fat
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
23.0g
35%
Saturated Fat
5.0g
25%
Cholesterol
50mg
17%
Sodium
980mg
41%
Total Carbohydrates
26.0g
9%
Dietary Fiber
3.0g
12%
Sugars
1.0g
Protein
18.0g
Vitamin A 2% • Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2% • Iron 6%
* Based on a 2000 calorie dietsource

There has to be some sort of nutrient I eat BK almost everyday Mcdonalds seldom Wendy's Baconators, Fat boy burgers etc. I weigh 180 pounds im 6' 1" tall and seem to be pretty fit and healthy from 12 dollar burger king lunches and suppers, most days I eat about 2000-2500 calories just in lunch and I am no weight lifter and I am not overweight Maybe my DNA is bread for this slop but I like it? So what I was wondering is in America do they have any nutritional value??

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
"let them eat cake"

Excellent post. Excellent points.

Gotta confess - I ate at the CheeseCake Factory for the first time this weekend. It was freak'n awesome. They have a "Linda's Fudge Cake" that is eight layers of deep chocolate cake with fudgy frosting between each layer - and the fudgy outter frosting is covered in chocolate shots.

mmmmm

Yes indeed .. let me eat cake.

Seriously though .. I get what you are saying .. you are right .. and most of us are addicted to some degree to fast food. either to the time saving aspect .. or the taste satisfaction aspect (comes from evolutionary psychology to crave fats and salts)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I was just reminded of this thread again, while watching a television program showing old footage from forty years ago, and was struck by how few overweight people there were. It's quite noticeable.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by seridium

There has to be some sort of nutrient I eat BK almost everyday Mcdonalds seldom Wendy's Baconators, Fat boy burgers etc. I weigh 180 pounds im 6' 1" tall and seem to be pretty fit and healthy from 12 dollar burger king lunches and suppers, most days I eat about 2000-2500 calories just in lunch and I am no weight lifter and I am not overweight Maybe my DNA is bread for this slop but I like it? So what I was wondering is in America do they have any nutritional value??

I did see nutritional info on the back of a paper tray-mat at McDonald's

Just because you aren't getting fat on fast food yet, doesn't mean you won't. There are a lot of factors there. How long you have been eating it, how frequently you eat it, other foods that you eat, your metabolism based on both lifestyle and genetics, etc.

The most important things to realize are that fat is not the only problem you are facing when eating fast-food, and fast-food is no longer the only problem. Eating high calorie foods with low nutritional value will cause long term deficeincys and illnesses, such as diabetes, cancer, etc. Secondly, even "regular" foods are now modified and stripped of essential nutrients, making it even more difficult to recover from a binge on fast-food, or to even lead a healthy lifestyle without the splurge.

[edit on 4/8/0808 by jackinthebox]

[edit on 4/8/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

I agree with you. We choose to take the easy route (fast food) rather than cooking a meal. And when we do decide to cook at home we are still not eating healthy. I have a restaurant, and I'd have to charge $20 for a $5 lunch if I were to use real organic, fresh, haelthy ingredients. And, that's if I could find them.
I live in a town that was almost destroyed by Hurrican Katrina. The only grocery store we have is WalMart. Need I say more?
OK, I'm fat. I usually choose to over eat. I do try to eat healthy sometimes, but this is the deep south where everything is fried. My wife started a diet & lost over 100 lbs!!! So, now I've started. We are not drinking soda, eating fried foods, or red meat; with very little bread, sugar & salt. Wish me luck.
It is really hard to find healthy foods in the store. Even the products that clame to be healthy are full of crap that is bad for you.
I don't see this getting any better. What do we do?
I see you're familliar with Codex. Has everyone seen

Google Video Link

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I have to agree completely.

I remember eating home cooked meals when I was young, and feeling so satisfied and nourished... I had strength in my limbs, I wasn't dizzy, and my thoughts weren't clouded.

Now it seems like no matter what I eat I'm always hungry for something.

And after I eat I always get terribly sleepy, weak, tired....

Does this happen to anyone else?

[edit on 15-4-2008 by ianr5741]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ianr5741

Indeed it does, but I don't think most people actually realize it. Studies have shown that fast food actually causes depression.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ianr5741
I have to agree completely.

And after I eat I always get terribly sleepy, weak, tired....

[edit on 15-4-2008 by ianr5741]

Take a look at how many carbs you are eating with each meal. High carb counts will cause your body to 'crash' like this if you are not physically active

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
So tell us, jackinthebox, what you think 'nutritious' food is. Not a list of ingredients, please, but a list of nutrients, and what particular role each plays in keeping the organism healthy. And what dietician came up with this information, and how far it is to be trusted given the fact that nutritionists seem to change their mind about what's good and what's bad for us every seven years or so? And food faddists -- you know, the macrobioticists and the organics and the Atkins diet disciples and the vegans -- do the same every seven months?

Tell us, if you will, how 6.7 billion can be fed on 'organic' food. Before you attempt an answer, look up the relative crop yields from organic and non-organic farming, peruse a map of the world that shows arable land area, discover how much food a human needs to stay healthy, and tell us what to do with the minus sign after you've done the calculation.

Also, could you explain in nutritional terms, explain why fast food is bad for us?

It tastes like garbage, I agree. I never eat the stuff -- okay, once in a couple of months maybe, when I'm driving home from somewhere and I feel the urge to go slumming. But good taste is not the issue here; nutrition is.

Yes, yes, I know I'm an insufferable let-them-eat-cake elitist, but answer the questions, would you please?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Sounds to me that you don't necessarily disagree with my premise, but you do however point out the burden of population. Survival of the richest eh?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Oh yes, very much so.

Especially when climate change sends the deserts northwards into Mediterranean Europe, Central Asia and the American Midwest, year-round rain destroys the rice harvests in monsoon Asia (happening in my country right now even as I type) and the twelve degrees or so respectively below and above the Arctic and Antarctic circles become the only comfortable habitat for humanity -- and its crops.

But you'll note my other point -- what's so evil about fast food? Some people, as has been noted on this thread, thrive on it. Not many, admittedly... still, there you go. Nutrition is a complicated subject, nutritionists seem to abandon orthodoxy every few years to go whoring after new gods, food nuts are even worse, and human beings live far longer than Nature intended anyway.

The big complaint against the fast-food industry is that its products are so meaty, which means they use up disproportionate amounts of resources -- including, again, arable land -- in their production. 10 kilos or more of grain to produce a kilo of red meat. Catch my drift? Who cares what it's doing to the people who eat it? See how it squanders resources that could feed the hungry ones of the world.

Me, well, I believe the secret of good nutrition is variety. Appreciate different foods and national cuisines. Learn to cook dishes from all over the world. Vary your ingredients. Cultivate a taste for unusual flavours. Learn to appreciate quality over quantity.

Hmm... survival of the richest... sounds about right. Not that I'm rich or anything, you understand. It's more about learning how to live... well.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

A star for you. I think we are just about on the same page. Personally, I do prefer a very wide variety of foods that goes far beyond what most people could even tolerate (at least here in my region anyway). Unfortunately, my access is restricted by economics and I all too often resort to such staples as the one Dollar double-cheeseburger, or the dollar and change per-pound bologna for sandwhiches with some ramen noddle packets.

I do agree though, that fast food in and of itself is not outright deadly, but the steady diet of it is.

But more importantly, the nutrient levels in foods thought to be healthy and "non-processed" have fallen to alarming lows.

[edit on 4/15/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Remember when "they" told us margarine was good for us?

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Thus the potato price has risen due to lack of demand.

Did you mean to type that? Given the rest of your post it seems as if you did. But it's not just wrong; it's completely backwards.

Assuming a constant supply (potato farmers keep producing the same amount of potatoes), decreasing demand would cause the price of potatoes to fall, not rise.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Everybody in America knows that fast food is bad for you, and everybody knows excercise is very good for you. Americans do too much of the first, and not much of the latter. People in America are overweight because they have no will power.

Its actually cheap to eat healthy, but not as tasty as a big mac. Some healthy cheap foods - oatmeal, rice, beans, potatoes, bread, chicken. But to most Americans, these foods are too bland for them.

Americans are getting fatter because they like to sit around and blame others for their problems and act as they cant do something about it themselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join