It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let Them Eat Cake!"

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHypnoToad

I actually have a criminal case pending against me and can't find work in my field until it is resolved. Kind of ironic, I went to college for criminal justice, and I wore a shield to work up until last Summer.

I have blanketed the region in applications, but have only had a few interviews. Most places won't take me because I am "over-qualified." I can't even get a job flipping burgers because I don't speak Spanish and everyone who works there is Mexican. They can barely communicate with the customers who come in, but don't get me started on that.

In between postings here, I'm sending out resumes and filling out online applications.

I don't spend all day everyday here either. Keep in mind also, that I have no TV to watch, video games to play, kids to chase after, etc.

In short, no jobs available means no work.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

No not really. A high protein meal that could be very low in fat and sodium, would give you a longer feeling of fullness also as it stabilizes insulin levels.

But a quarter loaf of bread is not a high-protein meal. It only has about a third of the protein of the Big Mac meal, and who knows what other vitamins and minerals are deficient.

Okay, the way I see it is this. The loaf of bread will do less damage to the body because is has somewhat less preservatives and a lot less fat. But the Big Mac meal still provides more nutrition as a meal than the bread, though at a high cost in weight-gain and clogged artery potential. Sounds like a "pick your" poisin remedy really.

[edit on 2/9/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
reply to post by jfj123

No not really. A high protein meal that could be very low in fat and sodium, would give you a longer feeling of fullness also as it stabilizes insulin levels.

But a quarter loaf of bread is not a high-protein meal. It only has about a third of the protein of the Big Mac meal, and who knows what other vitamins and minerals are deficient.

Okay, the way I see it is this. The loaf of bread will do less damage to the body because is has somewhat less preservatives and a lot less fat. But the Big Mac meal still provides more nutrition as a meal than the bread, though at a high cost in weight-gain and clogged artery potential. Sounds like a "pick your" poisin remedy really.

[edit on 2/9/0808 by jackinthebox]

My point is this-
If a nutritionist had to pick between the 2, a loaf of bread or a big mac meal, any nutritionist with a decent education would go for the load of bread as there is less fat, less cholesterol, less saturated fats, less sugar.

I don't want to beat this to death, I'm just saying bread is indeed better then fast food, although I am NOT saying eating bread alone would be a healthy diet.

[edit on 10-2-2008 by jfj123]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

I know this is a bit off topic but if you're looking for work, you might want to see if you can work in the construction, painting, etc. industry as general labor. It won't pay much but if you can get hooked up with a general contractor, he might be able to find you additional work.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   

In short, no jobs available means no work.

I understand perfectly. It took me almost seven months to find a job after I graduated from law school. Very frustrating process. Especially since I graduated extremely high in my class, Magna Cum Laude. Had I known it would have taken so long, I would have spent more time enjoying myself and less time studying.

As there is a criminal case pending against you, you do have an attorney, right? If not, please U2U me. If I know what area you are in, I can provide you with information on law clinics, attorneys that specialize in criminal law when defendants don't have a lot of money, etc. Not that I know every attorney in the U.S., but I receive a lot of national directories and things.

Sorry to have sounded harsh in asking my question. I was just really curious, and was trying to better understand what was going on with you.

Good luck to you.

[edit on 10-2-2008 by TheHypnoToad]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
It just isn't food that is increasing our waistlines but also the intake of coffee.

WITHOUT EATING ANY FOOD AT ALL, if a person has 10 small cups of coffee a day with full cream milk and 2 sugars , at 200 calories a cup, they have already consumed 2000 calories.

Now you add even something like a sandwich at lunch and a dinner of say a piece of chicken and vegetables ( which would be healthy food) and you've eaten near on 3,500 cals in oneday.
Enough calories for an athlete or hard labourer.

Can you imagine if you ate one meal of McDonalds or tacos or KFC or any other high calorie fast food and it would be up near 5,000 cals easy.

I think people often focus too much on food in obesity and often don't know or realise how many calories they consume in beverages alone.

BTW even changing to skim milk would still put the calories at 1,ooo for 10 small cups a day with 2 sugar.

I find it quite easy to have 5 coffees at work at lunch and during breaks and sometimes a few when I get home.

This site has the calories for different types of coffee.

www.completefitness.com.au...

Coffee and the high consumption of it in the West, is as far as I'm concerned,
a hidden obesity trigger.

[edit on 10-2-2008 by Flighty]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
WITHOUT EATING ANY FOOD AT ALL, if a person has 10 small cups of coffee a day with full cream milk and 2 sugars , at 200 calories a cup, they have already consumed 2000 calories.

. . .

I find it quite easy to have 5 coffees at work at lunch and during breaks and sometimes a few when I get home.

Holy heart attack, Batman!! Wow you drink a lot of coffee!!

I do agree with you, though. I drink Coke all day, and I shudder to think about what all the high fructose corn syrup is doing to my body. I am trying to quit, but I am quite addicted to the caffeine. Although, you might be my new hero with regard to caffeine consumption.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Heroine. But I get what you mean.

I don't drink coke or anything else.
Just coffee and water.

I recently switched to skim milk when I read that site and since Jan 1 lost 6 kilos. Unbelievable.
Now all I have to do is ditch the sugar. lol

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Thanks for the thought, but there is no work here in that field either. I even have friends in construction who can't put me on. One friend of mine is union, and the only thing he can find is a few crumbs here and there with a general contractor. No way a general contractor is going to pick me up over someone like my buddy who can barely find work with all of his expertise.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I agree with the coffee thing. In my own experience I see more people drinking huge amounts of soda-pop. People drink it like there is nothing else out there.

I mentioned to my girlfriend's father that I ususally drink water and he was like
. I find that nothing quenches the thirst like water, or maybe unsweetened cold tea. By the way, this guy drinks at least a case of soda-pop a day. I don't think he's really addicted to it, just has the mindset that there is nothing else to drink. He is not overweight, but is in bad health. I believe his bad health is directly linked to his diet.

reply to post by Flighty

Heroine

Should stay away from that stuff too.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHypnoToad

I've been out of work about seven months or so now. It looks like there won't be anything until Spring, regardless of my case.

As far as my attorney, I have a public defender, but I am not guilty and have evidence to prove myself innocent. If the court will hear it that is.

Sorry to have sounded harsh in asking my question. I was just really curious, and was trying to better understand what was going on with you.

Yes, I was slightly irritated, but your apology is accepted without prejudice. I am not shy about these things that are happening to me, and am willing to share my experiences. Perhaps more people should do the same.

I am grateful that I have had this opportunity to become a voice for the voiceless. Perhaps "the all-seeing overlords" should not have let me be without a job, because now I am going to keep running my mouth.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
If the loaf of bread is stone ground (organic) whole wheat,
there's a chance it's actually very good for you.

Slow cooking Oatmeal's better, though.

So a piece of stone ground whole wheat bread and a bowl of oatmeal is really filling and quite good for you.
Add a locally grown fruit - even better.
Add organic sea salt to the boiling water for the oatmeal, even better.
Add local honey to sweeten the oatmeal, even better (if you're not diabetic).
And then something green - green tea, a barley drink or chlorophyll drink, and by george you have a perfect, satisfying, fiber loaded, meal.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Of course you have to be able to afford these excellent ideas, and have access to the ingredients. But good food indeed.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   

reply to post by undo

Of course you have to be able to afford these excellent ideas, and have access to the ingredients. But good food indeed.

Well the oatmeal and local fruit is probably easy. local honey might be a bit harder, and of course, time of year plays a part. but oatmeal is incredibly inexpensive for the amount you can get, and for how filling and nutritious it is.

it has so many essential ingredients, that you can practically live on it, so it would make a very very good stockpile item for that reason alone, not to mention it has a long shelf life, doesn't have to be refrigerated. only problem is you need to cook it, which requires a stove, barbecue, campfire, or similar.

what was your line of work, btw? or your education for your line of work?

P.S. You need the kind of oatmeal that takes five minutes or longer to cook it. the instant oatmeal is stripped of most of its good stuff

[edit on 10-2-2008 by undo]

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
I recently switched to skim milk when I read that site and since Jan 1 lost 6 kilos. Unbelievable.
Now all I have to do is ditch the sugar. lol

Try switching to a natural sweetener. There are several available and you can find them at health food stores and organic markets.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Please read over the thread a little more carefully, and you will understand my particular situation a bit better.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I can attest to what the poster is saying.

Sometimes I have to eat Taco Bell all week. I'm a poor college kid i can't afford anything else.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by annestacey

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out soon.

I was going to switch to an artificial sweetener at the same time as ditching the full cream milk a month ago, but I've read so much bad news about aspartime and the other brands here, that I decided to stick to the raw sugar for now.

Didn't realise there were NATURAL (not artificial) sweeteners around.
I just googled it. Thanks again for the heads up.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by thehumbleone

A lot of people tend to assume that people eat fast food all the time because they actually like it that much. I can attest to the fact that anything gets dull after a while.

Ice cream used to be one of my favorite treats. After working in an ice cream shop for two years, I rarely touch the stuff. Once in a while I get a craving for a McDonald's double-cheeseburger, or some Wendy's chicken nuggets, but I eat that junk much more often than I even enjoy to.

I am in terrible financial straits right now, and someone offered to buy my a value meal tonight. I turned them down because I just really had no taste for the junk.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

This is an intresting subject. As a child I was lucky to get fast food of any kind as there was 6 of us kids. But boy it was good. As an early adult, I went on a health kick and refused to eat any thing I didn't make myself. Now, (way past early adult
) even a few french fries makes my stomach hurt and if I eat a hamburger I am sick for three days.

I have also noticed (with in the last year or so) that advertisments for these fast food joints realy push "we are healthy. " The new posted an article this afternoon saying "Fast-food binge harms liver, but boosts good cholesterol"now , in my opinion, this in itself is silly,harm one thing but help another. But, if you look into this "news shattering" study this was done on 18 people. How unscientific can that be? But it sure made headlines in the news out here.
news.yahoo.com...

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join