It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defense Secretary Gates 'demands' that Germany sends more troops to Afghanistan!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Defense Secretary Gates 'demands' that Germany sends more troops to Afghanistan!

afp.google.com

BERLIN (AFP) — US Defense Secretary Robert Gates has sent an "unusually stern" letter to his German counterpart asking Berlin to send more troops to southern Afghanistan, a German newspaper reported.

According to Suddeutsche Zeitung, the undated letter was sent a week and half ago directly to Franz Josef, demanding more combat troops, helicopters and parachutists.

Josef in turn wasted no time in responding with a similarly "direct and stern" letter, the paper said, without quoting the letters directly, ahead of full publication on Friday.

NATO troop deployments have become an increasingly sore point of contention between the two countries.

Gates' letter demanded 3,200 German troops to replace US soldiers later this year, the paper said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-2-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
LOL! Are you kidding me?

What's next? Imposing sanctions on those who refuse to fight in our wars?

afp.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-2-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Thats a part of their NATO agreement. They all said after 9/11 that they would back us on the war with Afghanistan and on Terror. Now some NATO countries are not helping nearly as much as others are. For all I care Germany can back out of NATO and join Russia's little party like they have been prophesied to do anyway. I have met allot of Germans in my time and they are the rudest most arrogant people I have ever met even after starting two world wars and getting their butts stomped.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
After his recent comments about Canada... who cares what gates "thinks" or "demands" or does. He's a Bush appointee anyhow. He's a meat puppet like many US citizens. What a meshugga-putz. He won't win friends and influence people easily. Maybe he can yell loud but can he get what he says he "demands"? LOL. The USA. LOL.

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 2-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
No I have a better idea, throw America out of Nato and if it wants to fight illegal wars let them do it themselves as they see everybody as a threat and no one else does. There always banging on how great and powerful they are so let them have it, I mean they start the bloody wars in the first place anyway.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

NATO is meant to be a defense organization, not an offensive group.

I started a thread that received essentially no replies in regards to Afghanistan yesterday: NATO genocide in Afghanistan .

Possibly the US wants more troops to help with its genocide of the Taliban and other local population?

Wouldn't be too surprised.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
well Mr. Gates can demand all he wants to

if they don't want no part of the Iraqi Occupation
then don't ask them anymore. It seems as though
Bush's lil World Coalition is coming apart. Well I
wonder why if he based his reasoning on lies and
deceit. I wouldn't go either.

He|| No!! We won't go !!

Bush, the game is up
it's time to get packing
pack yours while you're at it

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Hmm, Coalition of the WILLING indeed. I just sit here and wonder what next? Drafting citizens of foreign countries?

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by tacocheesey
Hmm, Coalition of the WILLING indeed. I just sit here and wonder what next? Drafting citizens of foreign countries?

he may be considering cloning the DNA of those Greek
Warriors from Thermopile (movie "300")
course he'd have one he|| of a time trying to explain
to them it's now 2008.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
he can ask all he wants to but its not going to happen

our troops serving around the world are already overstreched quit a bit so we just dont have anymore troops available for this

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
They said that the would help in the beginning but now they don't want to do it anymore. The way I see it is that they are a big country that we helped rebuild after WWII so they owe us one. Now if they are to stuck in their ways to not help us out then fine. Let them go it alone and when they need help sit back and laugh. You would think with the terrorist liking that country as a hiding place and target so much that they would want to help out more. Let them get a warm and fuzzy with Russia again and watch the Russians beat the life out of them again.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Fett Pinkus

Helping out where? Where else are they besides Kosovo in small numbers? This is Germany right? The country that took on the world in WWII.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Well looks like Germany has given Gates a response---And that answer is "nope". Looks like the intimidation is not working any more. People are fed up with this administration....

Germany says No plans to boost Afghan troops

MUNICH, Germany (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel has no plans to boost the number of German troops in Afghanistan or shift them to other parts of the country despite mounting U.S. pressure, a government spokesman said on Saturday.

Earlier, Der Spiegel weekly reported the German government was planning to expand the number of soldiers it can send to Afghanistan by 1,000 to 4,500 and broaden their base of operations from the north to the west.

The magazine said Merkel planned to make the proposal at a NATO summit in April in order to deflect pressure from Washington to send German forces to the south.

"There are no such considerations in the Chancellery," spokesman Ulrich Wilhelm said by telephone in response to questions about the report.

Full Story:
www.reuters.com...

[edit on 9-2-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
reply to post by Fett Pinkus

Helping out where? Where else are they besides Kosovo in small numbers? This is Germany right? The country that took on the world in WWII.

Currently (November 26, 2007) there are Bundeswehr forces in:
* Afghanistan
o ISAF
o 3,600 personnel
o (mandate limit: 3,500)
* Kosovo
o KFOR
o 2,230 personnel
o (mandate limit: 8,500)
* Bosnia and Herzegovina
o EUFOR (former SFOR)
o 340 personnel