It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Multiple Victims Reported in Illinois Mall Shooting"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moserious

This doesn't look good. Anyone live around the area?

Mo out

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

i live 2 minutes from the complex where this occured. the complex just opened in the past 2 or 3 years and this is the second shooting in that complex. last year (early 2007) a crazed man shot at a cop and the police office was forced to return fire wounding him several times.

im sure frankfort, mokena, will county, cook county, and tinley park police showed up. i was in too much awe, and on my cell phone, to pay attention to all of the cops and looky lous.

i was shopping at best buy (around 11) when a bunch of cops came in with their hands on their holsters combing through the store. i thought i was tripping on salvia or something...

the Tweeter Center (Huge Concert indoor/outdoor facility) is right down the street (like 2 minutes south of this complex right off of harlem ave.)

[edit on 2-2-2008 by LooseLipsSinkShips]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Moserious

Also, do not get it twisted. this is not a mall where you go inside and shop. this is a shopping center! it is home to a strip mall (where this occured) and places like Target, Best Buy, ect. it's not an indoor mall.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sleuth
Maybe if this kind of thing got zero press, there would be less of it happening. I know people will argue that gun control will solve the problem. I'm not going there.

If we stop giving these people a public venue that might be a good start.

I've walked by Lane Bryant (big women's store) and ive seen big black women working there or walking in with name tags. the police are looking for a 5 foot 9 260 pound black man. the press coverage had nothing to do with it IMO. more than likely it is a former boyfriend or something of that nature IMO. time will tell.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I live in Oak Forest and was just there last night.
Having grown up here this is a very rare occurance. The shooter appears to have gotten away, which is odd since the area is mostly white and a person like him would stick out more. The sick bastard deserves nothing less then to be publicly executed.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
If only one person had a Concealed Weapon this guy would have been dead after his first shot.

I blame slaves, a Citizen would have ended this situation just like all those before it.

Yeah but we can't have a population capable of protecting themself can we

Guns are daaaangerous.

Nope, it's always some punk kid who just happened to stop at a gun shop and pick up some assault rifles or something. The average citizen is discouraged to own even a home pistol.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I dont understand how gun control is going to do anything at all when these people buy guns illegally.

you keep shouting gun control. what is it gonna stop nothing at all.

I can go into any city and find places to buy guns quite easy.

how is gun control gonna stop anything.

these criminals arent getting there guns legally.

the only thing you are asking for is for unfair laws on legal gun owners.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I find this statement to be more laughable than lizard aliens controlling our world governments.

I have guns assault weapons at that. Not once has one of my guns tried to harm me in any way. I don’t recall them doing anyone else any harm either. Banning guns will not stop people from killing others with guns; it will only keep those wanting to protect themselves from doing so. I could go out and get an illegal gun quicker and cheaper in most cases than a legal one.

I am sure though that there were absolutely no murders before guns were invented.
Maybe we should just ban stupid people to keep this sort of thing from happening instead of banning guns.
www.ojp.gov...

Statistically while handguns are killing more people than other weapons it is not by much. Those using guns the most are those the age “normal” for gang activity.

Taken from:
www.ojp.gov...

More interesting information here:
www.ojp.gov...

And one last bit of information:
www.ojp.gov...

A friend is more likely to kill you than anyone else. The unknown means the relationship was unknown not that they did not know them that would be stranger.

You’re more likely to die in a vehicle accident than to be shot.

As for the OP this type of thing happening will just make the gun ban people come crawling out of the wood work quicker. I wonder sometimes if certain people are not used in ways to make the people want guns to be banned.
Perhaps it could be all the drugs that people are given that could be causing this is another thing that crosses my mind.

Raist

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by US Monitor
Having grown up here this is a very rare occurance. The shooter appears to have gotten away, which is odd since the area is mostly white and a person like him would stick out more. The sick bastard deserves nothing less then to be publicly executed.

I the I-80 on ramp is directly across the street from where the shooting occured. it would take less than 30 seconds to leave that parking lot and jump on the interstate.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LooseLipsSinkShips

Provided he had a vehicle, and from what I understand he did not get into any after the shooting. I am going to check the trib site again to see if any other details are out. Of course he could have gotten onto Harlem and gone to 80 then to 57 or west to 355.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Provided he had a vehicle, and from what I understand he did not get into any after the shooting. I am going to check the trib site again to see if any other details are out. Of course he could have gotten onto Harlem and gone to 80 then to 57 or west to 355.

the areas directly south, west, and east of the shopping center are fields or open land. directly north (several blocks off of harlem ave.) is a former Mental Institution currently housing Hurricane Katrina victims.

odds are the shooter would be spotted by police running west or south since it is corn fields that have been harvested (thus empty). also, the tinley park police department is located off of 183rd west of where the shooting occured thus the police cars and ambulances would run right into him if he headed West. we just got 10 inches of snow 2 days ago so a black man wearing all black would stand out like a sore thumb in the middle of snow covered empty corn field. not to mention that it would be very difficult to traverse at a steady pace. directly east is a lot more open land and off in the distance is the Tweeter Center and Odyssey Fun World (Arcade).

if he headed south, he could run into Frankfort Police Units which always have a fast response time and would be heading directly north on Harlem as their town borders Route 30 (South of the Shooting) and Harlem Ave.

if he was on foot, i would guess that he would head north as it is much more populous and congested. not to mention paved roads and sidewalks that would make it a breeze to move fast.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LooseLipsSinkShips

the areas directly south, west, and east of the shopping center are fields or open land. directly north (several blocks off of harlem ave.) is a former Mental Institution currently housing Hurricane Katrina victims.

odds are the shooter would be spotted by police running west or south since it is corn fields that have been harvested (thus empty). also, the tinley park police department is located off of 183rd west of where the shooting occured thus the police cars and ambulances would run right into him if he headed West. we just got 10 inches of snow 2 days ago so a black man wearing all black would stand out like a sore thumb in the middle of snow covered empty corn field. not to mention that it would be very difficult to traverse at a steady pace. directly east is a lot more open land and off in the distance is the Tweeter Center and Odyssey Fun World (Arcade).

if he headed south, he could run into Frankfort Police Units which always have a fast response time and would be heading directly north on Harlem as their town borders Route 30 (South of the Shooting) and Harlem Ave.

if he was on foot, i would guess that he would head north as it is much more populous and congested. not to mention paved roads and sidewalks that would make it a breeze to move fast.

I know the area, I grew up here, and went to TPHS and this past fall had my son playing with Bobcats and they play at the Mental health center.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
its things like this that make me buy more guns and carry wherever i go.
just in the past few months 2 major shooting sprees were stopped by armed citizens taking the correct action.

you dont see shooting sprees at NRA meetings, gun ranges, or police stations, ask yourself why that is.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   

I am sorry for the victims and their families. This is really a tragedy.

Unfortunately, it seems the shooter got away. IMO, if one or more law-abiding citizens had a gun in the immediate area at that time, there would have been a serious chance they could have ended it.

Now, for all the people against gun ownership, if you live in that area, would you now feel safer with or without a gun and the skill to use it properly? Should they pass a law immediately taking away all guns from all law abiding citizens in the immediate area?

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Internet down in Iran.

Mall shooting in USA?

Slight of hand?

News focus on Shooting Monday morning, my bet.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
....second time using this link today; who's to blame? Are all these U.S. suicide bomber kids on pharms? Here's what the FDA is telling it's people, two months ago:

Finding: The FDA cannot provide the information infrastructure support to regulate products based on new science.

www.fda.gov...

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
...apologies for the double post; thought to add this as 'another' motivating factor, straight from you-know-who:

Fifty years of research on the impact of television on children's emotional and social development demonstrate that there are clear connections between watching violence on television and engaging in aggressive or violent behavior.[10]

In a recent study published in the journal Media Psychology, the research team demonstrated that the brain activation patterns of children viewing violence show that children are aroused by the violence (increased heart rates), demonstrate fear (activation of the amygdala—the fight or flight sensor in the brain) in response to the video violence, and store the observed violence in an area of the brain (the posterior cingulate) that is reserved for long-term memory of traumatic events.[11] I.e. the brain response is structurally similar to that which it would have toward the event occurring in-person.

According to a study published in Nature magazine [2] the basal ganglia portion of the brain becomes very active when a person plays video games and watches TV. And the body releases a chemical called dopamine. Ritalin (and coc aine) also work on the basal ganglia of the brain and increase dopamine. “The problem is that the more dopamine is released, the less neurotransmitter is available to do schoolwork, chores, homework and so on."[3]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I'm curious as to what you are supposed to assault with the assault rifle.

We have rifles, we have revolvers, we even have old shot-guns. Our neighbor has a whole gun safe full of so many guns (I don't even know what kind, but they go rattataatttatattatat) that we're not really worried about 'hostiles' up on our mountain ridge. Our neighbor is a social worker, but he's also a little short guy and I just assumed his love of weaponry was some kind of compensation thing.

Personally, I can't shoot the side of the barn, but my old man keeps the freezer full of venison. It's on my to-do list to learn to shoot, but at this point I'd have to hit someone with the gun to hurt them.

So...what's the purpose of an assault rifle??

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by themillersdaughter
I'm curious as to what you are supposed to assault with the assault rifle.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I hate to say it, but guns don't kill people.

People kill people.

And as it looks like to me, America is still a wild wild west.

Guns can be bought on the way to your home.

In my opinion, this kind of violence is a part of American culture.

Only 100 years ago there used to be cowboys and outlaws.

Now there are guns and liquor stores.

So do you feel safer with a gun in your house?

Does a gun make you feel better then the rest?

I really do not understand this fascination with weapons, which kill people.

Why not collect stamps?

Or napkins?

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by themillersdaughter

To defend liberty. Read the 2nd ammendment and you will understand.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join