It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Military Exercises, Feb 2004

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I am anxious to hear the opinions of others on the January – February strategic military exercises involving Russia’s nuclear defensive and offensive forces.

“Military Planning Nuclear Exercises
By Vladimir Isachenkov, the Associated Press
Russia's nuclear forces reportedly are preparing their largest maneuvers in two decades, an exercise involving the test-firing of missiles and flights by dozens of bombers in a massive simulation of an all-out nuclear war. “
www.moscowtimes.ru...

Personally, I have many questions stemming from my initial impression that this is this more than a complex readiness exercise.

Is it merely saber-rattling aimed to remind NATO and the rest of the world that Russia is still “in the game,” so to speak? It has got to hurt the Russians’ nation pride to hear the media describe the U.S. as the last “Super Power.”

Is it an attempt by President Putin to boost his popularity among the population by appearing to be a strong military leader? Elections are coming up, and we have certainly seen it happen in the U.S.

Does Russian want to test the ability of the U.S. to react to a potential threat while its forces are spread out in numerous low-intensity conflicts in other parts of the world? It would never hurt to know how your neighbor is going to be able to react in a crisis.

Regardless of the motivation it should be an intelligence boon for all nations interested. Since the exercises are said to involve air, land, and sea elements of the Russian nuclear defensive and offensive forces as well as strategic/tactical missile defense and anti-satellite/satellite replacement rocket launch capability, I am betting that every bit of surveillance and intelligence gathering kit available to U.S. military and government agencies will be trained on this mobilization of Russian forces.

Thus far, the mass media has been very quiet on the subject and the Internet has been the source of only a few scraps of information. If anyone has good sources please pass them along. This is one topic that I want to give a lot of attention.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Russian presidential elections are coming up - it probably has much to do with national pride and the way the public views Putin.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
They have to be. The U.S. continues to develop new and better nuclear weapons, as well as theater and 'homeland' missile defense shields. We are all in the game. Maybe now more than ever.

Here's a good read that's all about it:

The New Nuclear Danger: Military-Industrial Complex
By Dr. Helen Caldicott

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Here's a good read that's all about it:

The New Nuclear Danger: Military-Industrial Complex
By Dr. Helen Caldicott

That does look like an interesting book. I searched Amazon and found a number of other titles by her that I will look out for, too. Thanks

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Russia has fallen into the game of deceiving itself inorder to feel good about itself. So sad.

new topics

top topics

join