It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians: What if you met God and he sinned like you and I?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
This thought occurred to me. Similar to the song by Joan Osbourne - One Of Us - what if when you met God you found out he commits sins as often as everyone else, but it doesn't bother him. Would it offend you if God thinks Penthouse magazine, for example, is a wonderful publication? What if God would run red lights if he drove a car or had a lead foot??

I think God has the capacity to break the rules. He has to or he would be weak.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
But he doesnt endof story.....

God sees women, ben, like a creature...

Think about Penthouse, what if they snapped shots of women pooping on the toilet? Or slicing their legs and blood trickling down?

Not that attractive, but they snap the most doctored up glory shots frozen in time to get people to sin....

God has a grace to see women not with manly lust or attraction. God cant be tempted by his own creation, its unfathominable.....

But you see this age, since like I said understanding is gone because Satan blinds the understanding, they think Jesus has these temptations and creat stories of a Mary magdelene lies, the buddy Christ ect.....

Goofballs do this because they are goofy, they have to make fun of their insecurities....

So its not possible.

God bless you.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth
God cant be tempted by his own creation, its unfathominable.....

Ahhh. But it has to be possible for God to become weak and be tempted by his own creation otherwise he has a limit.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
This is interesting to me because, half the fun of planting seedlings is to imagine the grown garden. Yeah? So now imagine we are the garden!!! Who wouldn't want to come for a play?... We might be like Gods simms, all built up and ready to play. nuts

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
ben your logic is wrong... comeone I thought you were a Christian Ben.

Its actually the other way around... If God can be tempted by women, which is impossible, (then) he has a limit.. its the other way around...

Btw his limitness is in goodness and and his power.

you could use your point of view for everything..

Like God has to hte or he has limits, God has to worship idols or he has limits, God has to be selfish or he has limits..

It doesnt include sins Ben, since God cant sin, it doesnt mean he has limits, he just cant do evil...

peace.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

ben, lovely idea there.
and a lovely thread.

honestly though... isn't the concept of sin something that god views as wrong?
if god does something, no matter how heinous, it wouldn't be a sin. punt a baby? not a sin if god's doing it.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
honestly though... isn't the concept of sin something that god views as wrong?
if god does something, no matter how heinous, it wouldn't be a sin. punt a baby? not a sin if god's doing it.

Well, yes and no, depending on what one believes.

Atheists are correct in the general assessment of the Bible God being a cruel psychopath. Even if one assumes Satan is the real culprit, one cannot dismiss that it is God who allows it, so there is culpability. The Bible God has the capacity to be both good and evil.

So does God view sin as wrong? It depends on what we define as "sin". If we speak of sins as "acts" then no, God cannot judge us because God is not blameless in sinful acts. If God hands down a law that says, "though shall not kill", and yet God kills, then God cannot justify "do as I say and not as I do". Therefore, God cannot view sinful acts as wrong, for he made them.

So we are left with the essence of sin and the true definition, that being what you believe about sin itself. It is within you to determine if sinful acts are forgivable or not. If they are not, then you have killed Jesus 2000 years ago today. If they are, you have become the return of Jesus today.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Well, one of the 10 commandments states "Thou shall not murder", yet 'God' was responsible for the Flood right? Sin or??

Another "Thou shall not covet thy neighbors wife" similar to the other one "Thou shall not commit adultery", I suppose that didn't apply when he took Mary, how do you think Joseph was feeling knowing his wife was 'Knowing God'. Sin by God or?

Thx

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Im a Marty

well, the flood wouldn't fall under the ten commandments, that story is supposed to take place before the commandments story.

a better example would be the several genocides god commands throughout the bible.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

ben your logic is wrong... comeone I thought you were a Christian Ben.

I do claim to follow Christ, not the church. Perhaps the religion is wrong and leading people astray and limiting their knowledge. No preacher has told me what knowledge to believe in, so I know my thoughts come from no man.

I'll take my chances with my beliefs.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Here's one for you ben?

You're wondering if perhaps God could be tempted?

Let's ALL OF US assume that God and Jesus are 'one in the same nature'; the 'Holy Spirit' falls into that catagory as well.

Now the kicker:

Remember in the NT, where Christ was taken to the top of one of the highest mountains by Satan?

Christ was 'tempted', and eventually declined all the offers that the devil threw at him.

(Trying to find the correct terminology for the logical premises: "If this is true, then THAT must also be true)

Lee see if I can say this better:

1. Christ and God are of a 'Oneness'.
2. Christ can be tempted (God allowed for this to happen) to see the outcome; moral dilemna to which Christian followers must ascribe to.
3. i.e. God tempts/tests himself?

ALSO? If mankind is a creation of God; "the same spark of life/essence of God, and we are somehow 'one with him' to certain degrees, then this would also lend credence again to the fact, that God is testing himself?

Hmm...got my mind wracking now. ohhhh headache time. (Ben..don't do that to me hon....lololol)

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

......and you're absolutely correct Duckster!

What is so terrible about being tempted anyway. Is it bad to entertain the thought of evil or sin??

Jesus was tempted with obtaining the world in exchange for worshiping Satan.
In other words, the spirit of God was tempted with this same challenge for a short time within the 40 days Jesus wandered in the desert.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Oh Boy. Ben, Jesus created a Church, a visible body and gave the apostles keys to this church and said it would spread throughout the world... and it was prophecied not only in malachias couple times but many times in the Psalms...

After the Catholic church was created, (i used to be protestant btw), 1500 years it took for the protestantrevolt to take place which was predicted by Timothy to happen.....

Now as for God being blamable for murder.. God reads the hearts of men, he knows whos wicked and not, the reason we cant murder is because we dont know the heart and its not for us to judge and slay..

So God can make the flood and he preserved the good ones left over...

Furthermore this notion comes from a mind that has not reached understanding..

God (is) Love, and all goodness.. Whatever goodness we have, the little that we do, and most of that is a form of self love pride....

Is FROM God.. Its grace... Thats why certain people can hate others for no reason, beat and bully people at school, stay in gangs and shoot someone over being initiated...

They are deprived of graces... Im telling you ive seen evil people in my life without grace..

I used to throw things at my own mother when I was little, I had few graces... but now its different I cant even step on bugs anymore....

This comes from much prayer and work though.....

Its unfathominable to think God can do evil, our prideful souls think so but its not true...

alot of those acts like raiding villiges and so on were from the women of those villiges tempting the men of the house of Israel and so God commanded those wicked villiges to be slain... alot was from warfare as well..

You cant tell anything from a few sentences in a book.. Thats what pride does, it judges that it doesnt understand instead of trying to understand...

And Ben, temptation is not bad, God uses this as a test alot of time to prove faithfulness, I get tempted alot, and I mean alot...

peace.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Depends on the god. I know a god who sins.

There is no sin in the purity of love, the all pervasive love.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I think if your going to believe in god you cant say "hey thats impossible "or god cant/wont do that" You cant place a limit on infinity. By the way a little off topic...... why does god have to be a he? I think if god does exist and is the divine creator of dna and the cosmos its a she, just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SoLaR513

IMHO...God is completely Spiritual, and yet, God has the capacity to 'direct' physcial substances...(we humans are part of this as well)

When Christ said: (paraphrasing) "My Father's thoughts are NOT of mankind's." I am but, a mere human, that 'would suppose my Creator's thoughts.' Just like anyone else.

The interpretations of the HOLY BIBLE 'stand' upon 'mere mortal thoughts'. These thoughts are portrayed in teachings throughout history, and thereby given as such.

What SCARES me...is to what these individual historical peoples 'decreed' -What is 'deemed' HOLY, and what has been taken out of 'eye-sight'. Relying upon 'certain individuals' to decree what is HOLY, and what is NOT, is not a good way to interpret the supposed Word of God.

IMHO.

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SoLaR513

Well many ancient beliefs did attribute God to being 'Goddess'. Has a feminine like personality..

Also - the Mormons believe God has 'two arms, two legs' - for they take the 'image' quote literally. I supposed he also has private parts.

I cannot help but think this is an abomination - labeling 'God' in human terms, in human characteristics, is inconceivable. I don't believe God has a gender, I don't believe God has a side, I don't believe God 'intervenes'. I DO believe "it" (what else to describe a genderless God) allows for ALL free will, for we are all spiritual beings - a PART of God - a SPARK of God itself, learning, experiencing for "It". This is why I believe God is Neutral - it allows for all things to know all things. How can anything be 'known' without experiencing it first hand. God is ALL that is, nothing outside of it, it is one, it is source, we are mere fragments of the greater intelligence. We are 'with' God for we are a part of it, however physical reality is an Illusion of Separation from the source, thus we feel we cannot not know "it".

Thx

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

A summary of the book of Job:
Source

Job is a wealthy man living in a land called Uz with his large family and extensive flocks. He is “blameless” and “upright,” always careful to avoid doing evil (1:1). One day, Satan (“the Adversary”) appears before God in heaven. God boasts to Satan about Job’s goodness, but Satan argues that Job is only good because God has blessed him abundantly. Satan challenges God that, if given permission to punish the man, Job will turn and curse God. God allows Satan to torment Job to test this bold claim, but he forbids Satan to take Job’s life in the process.

Is it evil to allow people to torment you, even for the purposes of testing something? How would you have reacted if you were Job?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I didnt say that I even believe in a god. Im still not saying. What I am saying is that if there is a god it is easier for me to believe that the divine creator aspect that loves all of us is female. I tend to lean however, on the god is an energy present in all things theory but truely I just dont know. It is dificult for me to accept the bible as the definitive truth knowing it was edited by man.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

The thing there is where it says god was boasting to satan. Isnt that showing pride and isnt pride supposed to be a sin? (I know Im going to get it for that one)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join