It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

secret society no more ODDFELLOWS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
There are so many similarities in ritual between Masonry and the Oddfellows , that I'll wager common ancestory is at work.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by senrak
reply to post by barmshadow84

Hi barmshadow84!

I agree with your opinion of the Odd Fellows as I have been a member, first in Kentucky (Chosen Friends Lodge #2) and presently in Missouri (Jurisdiction Lodge #1) for some years. Since about 1993 I believe.

I'm interested to hear where you heard the origin of the name, however. I've heard several variations, but not that one. I've heard it was called by some an "Odd-fellowship" because it brought together men of different classes....something unheard of in England at the time (and to some extent, of course, even today). I've also heard that the word was originally "Hod" and not "Odd" and they were a "branch" if you will, of the operative Masons. At one time Odd Fellows DID wear Masonic-like Aprons, even in this country, so there could be some Masonic connection albeit many years ago.

As far as groups go there have been a couple dozen. Here in the U.S. we are the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) and there is a remnant of the Grand United Order of Odd Fellows (G.U.O.O.F.) They were sort of the equivalent to Prince Hall Masonry from the days when most fraternal societies didn't allow men of African-American descent to belong.

Stevens' 'Cyclopedia of Fraternities (1907) shows a chart on page 253 with the following groups:

Ancient & Honorable, Loyal Order of Odd Fellows
Patriotic Order of Odd Fellows
United Order of Odd Fellows
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Manchester Unity
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, U.S.A.
Grand United Order of Odd Fellows, U.S.A.
Ancient Independent Order, Kent Unity
Nottingham Imperial Order
Ancient Noble Order of United Odd Fellows, Bolton Unity
Improved Independent Order, S.L. Unity
Derby Midland, United Order
The British Order and
The Norfolk and Norwich, the Albion, the Kingston Unity, the Leeds United, Leicester Unity, the Economical, the Ilkstone Unity, the Enrolled, the Ancient, True, The Staffordshire, The Auxiliary, the West Bromwich, and the Handsworthy Orders of Odd Fellows.

Sure were a bunch of us!

In F.L.T.

Senrak my brother i did not know you were an Odd Fellow, last year i recieved my Initiatory degree on March 14th and recieved my 1st-3rd degree on Dec.12th and i must say the degrees were fantastic, so i am now a 2nd degree Senior DeMolay, 3rd degree Master Mason, 32nd degree Scottish Rite, Sir Knight in the Amaranth, Yellow Dog, 3rd degree Knight of Pythias, and a 3rd degree Scarlet Odd Fellow.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join