It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New bill would make it illegal for restaurants to serve the obese

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Thiers one thing i notice... not 1 country arond the world ahs as many bese poeple aas we do here..... not 1 country. As a kid, throught the 1980's theirs was no news aobut obesity ect, this is something taht has started, to my knowledge, ever since about 1991, when Olestra, that fat free stuff in chips, hit the market,... thats when i notced hearing about obesit... so to me,t hat confirms we are being tld what to eat, and how its controlled..... im growing my own veggies form now on, in the spring and summer months....
I try not ot eat at fast food joints, aka mcdonalds, burger king... becuase the times i had gone int he recent past tthiers always too mcuh game playing goin on, chick behind the cotner, is too busy with her b/f to pay attention to whats cooking, and often, at my local mcdonlads drive through,,, the food was not evn luke warm..
a guy i new, years ago, his firned used o work at another loca, mcdonalds,.. he told me, he used to spit in their food, blow nose fluid into saldas ect, and never got caught...
this is WHY in todays day n age, i refuse ot eat out....
hell , our lcoal taco bell a few years ago, got closed down manyt imes, because of rodent claws and feet int he food, and yet the FDA didnt close em down permanently...
make me think!

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I say we eat the people that want to pass this. GET IN MY BELLY!
Demorats love to tell people what to do.....America does not care anymore.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

2 Republicans and 1 Democrat are sponsoring this bill, so in reality more Republican politicians are supporting this in historically conservative Mississippi.

There goes your 'liberal' theory.

The more I read about this story, the more I think its PC gone wrong...

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
would this indirectly also apply to not allowing obese people to WORK for restaurants? After all, if they are going to stop obese people from eating there....the next logical step would be to stop them from working there too?

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I thought it was illegal to serve anyone, obese or not.

Reminds me of the old Twilight Zone episode when the freakishly tall aliens give Man a book titled "To Serve Man" which turns out to be a cook book.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I remember that clearly. I was one of the OICs of the program at the time and I saw first hand how unfair it was. There was a young man in our unit, tall, strongly built, musculature like a panther...you get the idea...he was "overweight" at every measurement. BUT, there wasn't an ounce of fat on him! Eventually, they instituted the BMI measurements as well and that did show him as "passing".
Of course we had quite a few senior enlisted men with middle-aged paunches for whom we were instructed to enter passing data.

Originally posted by undo
There was a similar problem in the military. To maintain healthy physiques, they instituted a yearly weigh in, where you were weighed and measured. You had to weigh X-amount for your height and your measurements had to coincide with that. If you didn't, you were given a chance to correct it. If you didn't correct it, you were booted out. Well, some guys were big boned, not an ounce of fat on 'em but large framed. Some were weight lifters that had thick neck muscles from exercise. They were still booted out even though they were actually very healthy. Apparently someone with some clout got the boot, and things started to change. Now they can take into consideration your frame and muscle mass. Took awhile though. 'snip'......

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
This is just another way for the government to get people to think they can't run their own lives and make their own decisions, your county's government always has to be there to do it for you.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

That's what I'm talking about, I hear that Oprah and others are actually trying to fight this problem. That's why they're taking action about it.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Maybe instead of weighing people at the door, you'll be required to get weighed once a year for our soon to be instituted mandatory National ID card. It's already going to have all our other data on it, I'm sure they'd be happy to stick weight on there too.. So then, as well as checking ID for alcohol service, you'd need ID to get food service, too....

It sounds stupid and ridiculous.. I guess that means it's an idea the government is all over..

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
mabye they are trying to boost food exports ?

one thing i remeber when flying to the states was that the meals on the plane for some reason got bigger ,
and i cant complain about the size the meals where at the rest holes ,

but i to remember seeing ppl that could stop rush hour traffic on 5th avenue just by wobbling across the road , in their own time..

but this is clearly a " let other people take care of you " bill

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
...on the numbers, etc: Mississippi is the 'worst' in the U.S., last year, about 30% obese. It supposedly is costing Medicare over $200 million....

The US Government defines an obese person as someone with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 or above, although it is not yet clear whether Mississippi would use that as their template for what defines "obese".

Mississippi has long found itself topping lists of the country's fattest states, and has one of the highest death rates from cardiovascular disease, of which obesity is a risk factor. But will making it illegal to serve food to those who are obese truly combat the state's weight problem?

Hungry people will eat, and if a restaurant won't serve them, there's always the grocery store. Should we expect another similar bill soon outlining what the obese are permitted to purchase at grocery stores as well?

www.clevelandleader.com...

Finding: FDA does not have the capacity to ensure the safety of food for the nation.

www.fda.gov...

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
It is my honest opinion however that obesity in America is tied to economics. There are very few rich people who are fat.

I agree with you 100%. Curious, isn't it? When you don't have to worry about where the money to pay the bills is coming from you suddenly have a much better outlook on life. You're less depressed. You feel better, so you take better care of yourself. People compliment you and this positive reinforcement helps you maintain the cycle.

What happens when the money starts to disappear? You start to worry about where the money to pay the bills is going to come from. You get depressed. Your hygiene goes to heck and you stop caring. You eat to escape your misery and you lose the desire to get up off the sofa.

Either way, you're a hamster. The difference is that you can be a healthy hamster on the spinning wheel or the fat little dude who lays there chewing toilet paper rolls.

PS: I'm in my 40's. I don't like the idea of some 16-year-old deciding whether or not I'm skinny enough to buy a cheeseburger.

[edit on 2/3/08 by Sleuth]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Obese = anything over 30 BMI--as stated.

You have to know the make-up of the body. I weigh 220 lbs and I'm 6'0" tall--that would put me in the obese category. On the other hand, I'm a body builder and I run 5 miles a day (and Im 46 and a female). You can't depend on charts to determine if you are healthy. The number on the scale is not always representative of reality.

Puts me in mind of that essay by the anorexic girl who was told she was the healthiest customer all day long, based soley on her percentage of body fat. I think she recovered, but what she said at the time was, "I'm dying".

Education is the answer--keeping crap out the school lunch room is the answer....boycotting fast food is the answer. MacDonald's $1 doublecheeseburger = 463 calories. That doesn't include fries and a drink. One slice of pizza= 500 calories, avg.

How is it any more convenient to buy a double cheeseburger than to walk into a grocery store and buy a banana and an apple?

We're conditioned to buy the crap. Fight the power!

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Well then hey, let's make a law that prohibits people from buying music at record stores when the state determines that you listen to too much music.

You got me thinking about the guy over in Europe who listens to too much heavy metal music. He got it declared a sickness and actually has protections for his music listening.

Sorry to be off topic.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I doubt that mcdonalds will ever stop serving the overly obese. over 5,000.000 obese people served!

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
People don't always want something healthy to eat and you can't blame them for that. I like the fact that I have a choice. I like the fact that if I crave carbs I can get carbs. I don't eat a lot of meat, maybe once per month, if that. But when I crave meat, boy, get out of my way.

I think another problem is that a lot of people come from homes where the parents didn't know how to cook, so they don't know how to cook either. I'm constantly amazed by what other people consider to be good food. I come from a family of fabulous cooks and bakers, so I know good food when I taste it.

I believe education plays a huge role as well. People must be taught what is healthy and what isn't. They need strategies to cope with avoiding the bad and obtaining the good.

Fast food could also be healthier than it is. Much healthier. The government should mandate it. Example, you go to a ball game in the US and what can you buy that's healthy? Nothing really. Go to a ball game in Japan and you can buy sushi, udon, pretty much the same stuff that the Japanese serve in their homes. How many fat Japanese do you see other than Sumo wrestlers? Practically none.

The Japanese (French/Scandanavians - the list goes on) have standards. They care about their citizens. Money is not more important than the health of their citizens. That doesn't apply in the US because the US economy is based on greed. Until you eliminate The Greed Principle, the US will be an unhealthy nation where its citizens are second to the wallets of Big Business.

Things will change when all Americans stand together and tell the government "we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore!" We need to do it soon because our country is dying from the inside out. We can be great again, but we have to stand together and we have to stand our ground and we cannot take no for an answer.

The government works for us. It's time we reminded them of that fact and took back the reins of our country.

/rant

PS: Two more very important words: Reasonable portions

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
well, i have an education and that's why I eat unhealthy and have high cholesterol. all those health classes talked about counting calories and I got so turned off about doing all that work.

this bill is absurd. mcdonalds is the biggest junk food restaurant in the us. might as well have a bill to shut them down, nationwide.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
well, i have an education and that's why I eat unhealthy and have high cholesterol. all those health classes talked about counting calories and I got so turned off about doing all that work.

this bill is absurd. mcdonalds is the biggest junk food restaurant in the us. might as well have a bill to shut them down, nationwide.

I'd vote for that!!!

I think they should make a law that you can't package anything from fast food in anything except paper. If it needs a box, make it a paper box. Recycled paper!

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
While I do agree that a lot of the food you can purchase is just horridly unhealthy for you, the main problem I think is the portions. I couldn't imagine trying to stuff down most of what restaurants term "single" portions. I go to olive garden with my fiance and we order one entree for the two of us and we get funny looks from the wait staff. It's not that i'm trying to save money, it's the fact neither of us could possibly eat a full entree by ourselves, nor do we want to be tempted to try. I think portion regulations on restaurants would solve quite a few problems, keep the price the same for the double cheeseburger, just scale it down so it's a single serving.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Hypntick

Right. Those mini-burger things are what I consider a reasonable single portion, but a lot of people think I'm nuts. I have no idea how America got the idea that these monster portions are acceptable. No one ever seems to say no or point a finger and say, "Why are you trying to sell me a meal for four disguised as a meal for one?"

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join