It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New bill would make it illegal for restaurants to serve the obese

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I would like to say on topic that this bill is a ridiculous waste of tax dollars as best. Worse is the implications of these politicians "testing the waters" to see how much farther they can push a NWO police state down our throats.

I have started a new thread so as not to go off-topic on this one.

"Let Them Eat Cake!"

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I just wonder what the late French Chef Auguste Gusteau would have to say about the matter?

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
There was a similar problem in the military. To maintain healthy physiques, they instituted a yearly weigh in, where you were weighed and measured. You had to weigh X-amount for your height and your measurements had to coincide with that. If you didn't, you were given a chance to correct it. If you didn't correct it, you were booted out. Well, some guys were big boned, not an ounce of fat on 'em but large framed. Some were weight lifters that had thick neck muscles from exercise. They were still booted out even though they were actually very healthy. Apparently someone with some clout got the boot, and things started to change. Now they can take into consideration your frame and muscle mass. Took awhile though.

This bill reminds me of the first part -- incapable of making all the necessary decisions to regulate it properly, anyway

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Areal51
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I just wonder what the late French Chef Auguste Gusteau would have to say about the matter?

lol he'd be refused entrance into his own restaurant.
"Sorry sir, you can't come in, you weigh too much."

New bill passes - everyone has to be a healthy weight except chefs and politicians.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
That's taking it to far, even if the intentions are good. It will put a strain on restaurants- employee's embarrassment for turning away someone as well as each person may have a different idea on who is a few pounds overweight vs obese. And wouldn't the same people who made that choice, also say obese people mostly east fast food anyway, since they are already being single minded? Is the ban including fast food too? Each obese person has a different background, from food addiction to poor nutrition. Maybe they should be passing a law that restaurants serve healthy, non processed food and small to normal proportions? Or how about not pushing desert on people who just ate a hugely proportioned meal?

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
That's taking it to far, even if the intentions are good. It will put a strain on restaurants- employee's embarrassment for turning away someone as well as each person may have a different idea on who is a few pounds overweight vs obese. And wouldn't the same people who made that choice, also say obese people mostly east fast food anyway, since they are already being single minded? Is the ban including fast food too? Each obese person has a different background, from food addiction to poor nutrition. Maybe they should be passing a law that restaurants serve healthy, non processed food and small to normal proportions? Or how about not pushing desert on people who just ate a hugely proportioned meal?

Or what about them just minding their own sheep?

In the immortal words of Homer, "Doh."

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I vote for this bill.

It's obvious that it's for the protection of health.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This is ridiculous, this is like saying black people can't eat at this or that restaurant.
Healthy or not healthy this is a free country.

[edit on 2/2/2008 by mnmcandiez]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Ya but would you want to live in an unhealthy country or in a room that's full of fat people that you would be the only one who isn't fat?

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
jackinthebox,

I don't think you read my entire post.

Do I think the government should be involved in this sort of action? No. I do not.

Do I think a responsible family member would get involved in someone's life if they were abusing themselves? Yes I do.

Which would result in an immediate punch in the face for family member, family or not.
That way, I could adjust their intelligence level, as they were trying to adjust my weight level.
I call it a fair trade.
Try me.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheoOne
I vote for this bill.

It's obvious that it's for the protection of health.

I have another bill in mind as well.
Studies have shown, that Democrats are unhealthy, and should be denied service at eateries, rounded up and administered shots, and interned in camps.
Would you be inclined to vote for that bill as well?

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
skinny people and bald people are offensive, visually. i vote they stay off the streets and out of sight.

Seriously though, these guys are joking.

This kinda reminds me of the film about the future where everyone is healthy by force of law and even sex is regulated via electronic devices. Music is isolated to commerical jingles and cartoon music.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheoOne
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Ya but would you want to live in an unhealthy country or in a room that's full of fat people that you would be the only one who isn't fat?

So, as long as everyone is like you ... things are ok?

I am overweight, but, I am also a vegetarian/fruitarian/nearly vegan. I eat less than most people, I just don't partake in lots of strenuous activities.

Not that this would effect me much, since, I buy fresh veggies anyway. But, if I get invited to go to a restaurant, I should be denied ordering a salad and a sugar-free iced tea because some moron thinks their standards of living pertain to me?

No. I am free to be as big or small as I choose. I get around just fine. I just don't have the waistline I did when I was working production lines.

Instead of you being the only skinny person in the room of fat people ... or making the fat people conform to you ... since that statement you made implies a need to fit in, how about eating a sandwich once in a while? I prefer whole grain honey wheat with lettuce, tomato, onion, green pepper, ground pepper and a touch of olive oil and vinegar.

Not everyone can fully control their weight. There are metabolism and other biological issues. Ever see a skinny person that cannot gain weight? Their rib cage shows? And, no, they are not bulimic.

I guess I just see it different. Yes, there are people who are sickly obese. Yes, all people would feel better if closer to their proper weight. But, where is the line? Numbers lie. 250 lbs can be obese, toned, or muscle bound, depending on many factors.

I also prefer a woman with a bit of extra weight. Forget those sickly looking women that look emaciated. A bit of softness is quite appealing. You can keep the women with bodies of little boys, give me a voluptuous lady any day.

As long as people are happy with themselves, that is what matters, if you don't like it, that is your problem, not theirs.

Proposing laws like this are ridiculous, but, if you search your town's records, I am sure you have some that are amazing they made the books. We, have one, that states fat people cannot ride horses, the law was made over 100 years ago. Along with laws before the anti-smoking campaign took off, that you can't smoke waiting in line, and you can't spit in public.

I don't smoke, but as long as it is outdoors or ventilated/air cleaner in the room, I don't care much at all. I don't spit, but if a bug was in my mouth, I am sure I would not swallow it. But ... I suppose if I did see a 500 lb person riding a horse, I would first wonder how they got up there, then get them off, for that is a bit cruel to the animal (I think our law is something like 350 lbs max body weight).

Do you want them to limit how much you consume? So, if you have a 'SuperBowl' party, each person has to bring their own snack size bag of chips and their own 20 oz of soda ... because, we can't have you buying a big bag of chips, we don't trust you to control yourself or share. You can't buy more than one soda, because, it is unhealthy, please drink our municipal water that we added all kinds of chemicals to, we promise they are good for you.

What ever happened to people taking responsibility for their own bodies and actions? What happened to live and let live?

How about this, a law that mandates people to pay attention to their own lives and mind their own business ... forbids news from ever broadcasting stuff about celebrity's personal lives, and quit glorifying violence and focus more on the things that affect our future and freedoms. Less mindless shows, less commercials, and no more lies.

Now, that would be a bill I would shout from the rooftops to support

Not some discriminatory and rude bill about denying services based on a casual judgment by those who don't have the mental capacity or background knowledge of the person to ascertain properly

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
people who eat alot of fatty fish are often fat, and yet not have a thing wrong with them physically, because the fat is derived from a source that doesn't cause the same kind of physical maladies that other fats do. these people would also be accused of being obese and unhealthy. it's just a silly idea, all the way around.

unhealthy fat works like this:
if your pH is unbalanced (which it typically is if you eat alot of the wrong kinds of foods), the acid content in your blood starts to eat little holes in the inner lining of your blood vessels. cholesterol, which is your body's equivalent to caulking, files up the holes so the blood doesn't leak into your body cavity. the more holes, the more caulking. soon the blood vessels are narrower and narrower.
solution? balance that pH! problem solved (or mostly, anyway)

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Sounds like the old law in San Fran.
You cannot walk down the street in San Fran while being ugly.

LoL!

More legislational stupidity.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
This is ridiculous, this is like saying black people can't eat at this or that restaurant.
Healthy or not healthy this is a free country.

[edit on 2/2/2008 by mnmcandiez]

that is outrageous. what the heck does this have to do with black people?
being black is not a choice, being young and fat is.

I dont care what kind of science you throw at me the logic is simple, if your body collects more energy than it burns, you get fat. If you you burn more energy than you eat, you lose weight. Right?

people that eat too much and dont do any labour to compensate smell awfull when they sweat, and they are far too gasy, its amazing that we actually NEED a law that would stop people from making themselves so awfull to be around.

and before you rag on me about my attitude towards fat people, read through some of the threads here about smokers. humans have been smoking longer than we have been using toilet paper and look at the sudden resentment towards people that still enjoy one of our oldest pastimes. Sure eating a good meal is past time, but so was putting in a hard days work, which im sure just by demographics, most of you dont know a thing about.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I want to change my vote!

I am now FOR this bill.

I just found out that 4 out of 5 Americans are overweight. Denying this many people access to restaurants would cripple corporate America.

Vote YES!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

its amazing that we actually NEED a law that would stop people from making themselves so awfull to be around.

LOL! Egads, this made me laugh when i saw it.

New bill passed - all people must be a healthy weight AND SMELL GOOD, except chefs and politicians.
Gas is not allowed. Your digestive system must be pleasantly attuned and free of anomalies. You should be pleasing to the eye and nose.

Replace that offensive human flesh! We suggest the new robotic model to have your brain transferred into. The best model is a titanitum, descented (no new bot smell! in fact you can have any one of several fragrance disks inserted), thin, and strong!

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Dont these people know we have some real problems in this world???

So, you walk into a restaurant and you're checked out by Homefat Security? Would the waiter/waitress be responsible for this? The cook comes out to check you out? Oh Pleeeeeze.
This is obsurd, and ridiculous, but we all agree. Oh i know- a camera checks you out while you enter, said camera then contacts HOMEFAT SECURITY, the cops come and detain you and the server of the food and you go to jail overnight?

Gee, i'm sorry, i cant serve ya 'cause you have a big ars

Now, i know, because i've worked for two airlines, that those people, do size you, but its the nature of the job and the weight, specially on small airlines, like Cape Air. Upon people entering, we DO size people cause the planes only sit SIX people, they're Cessnas airplanes. I put 1 veery overweight woman in 1 airplane and her dog. That's all i could envision going on that airplane. We were trained to do that.

But food????? OMG, this is too funny!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Homefat security!

Ah thanks for the giggles.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join