It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil's Carnaval pushes bounds of taste, weirdness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Here is an example of how people around the world tend to think the same when it comes to sensitive issues. My question is, how would you feel if a float of this nature was going down the street say in The Tournament of Roses Parade or even at Mardi Gras or other similar event?

Even by Brazil's relaxed standards, this year's parade threatens to set a new standard for bad taste and weirdness as entrants spend millions of dollars competing for attention and sponsorship deals.
One samba school wants to launch a float piled high with fake corpses in reference to the Holocaust. Another school will be led by a model who aims to have set a record for the number of cosmetic surgeries performed on one person....Barros and his Viradouro samba school want to unveil a spectacle Sunday night on the theme of "goose bumps" that will feature, along with the Holocaust float, 28 people tied upside down to crucifixes and dancers in cockroach costumes.

Can you imagine the backlash if two floats like these were allowed to participate in a parade here in the US?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
New member here. May as well wade right into the action.

I believe in ignoring this kind of thing. If you do, it generally goes away. I think the kind of people who come up with these ideas become embarrassed when they realize no one is paying attention to them. It is a form of forced socialization.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sleuth

Welcome aboard. Because it is not US related I am quite sure it will be swept under the rug. But, it does show that people in other parts of the world are just as sensitive about things such as the holocaust being a subject at a celebration. Maybe though, the float creator is just trying to bring attention to the Holocaust. One never knows. He, on the other hand, could be siding with those that believe it never happened.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Thanks for the welcome.

Those who believe the Holocaust never happened shouldn't be taken seriously anyway, and they tend to be the minority, so I've never seen their opinion as an issue. Decent people know better.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Have you ever been to Mardi Gras!!?? It's pretty much anything goes and it's definitely not for the weak-stomached, faint-of-heart or politically correct. Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulez!

Besides, why would we want to stifle free speech or freedom of expression in any country? In fact, we better pay more attention to our own before it's too late.

Edit: Crappy French Spelling - Thanks NiteBoy! I know what it means to miss New Orleans.

[edit on 2/2/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Have you ever been to Mardi Gras!!?? It's pretty much anything goes and it's definitely not for the weak-stomached, faint-of-heart or politically correct. Les Se Le Bon Temp Roulette!

Yes. And it's Mardi Gras in Brazil. Brazil! They've got weird stuff there.

Edit: Link if you wanna know more about that giant bottle. It sort of relates to what Palehorse said about awareness via shock.

[edit on 2-2-2008 by Beachcoma]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Don't worry, freedom of expression was once more the first victim.

Initially designed to represent one of the greatest genocide of humanity, the Holocaust, the car was prevented from participate in the parade by a judicial mandate presented by the Israeli Federation in Rio de Janeiro on January 31, 2008.

Source (in Portuguese)

As they say on that site, the Carnival parade has been used many times as a way of creating awareness in the people that usually do not care about those things.

Case closed.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
As they say on that site, the Carnival parade has been used many times as a way of creating awareness in the people that usually do not care about those things.

This made me think twice about it and I understand where you're coming from. I never considered that this was the impetus. Thanks for making me use my brain.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Sleuth

You have to remember that Brasil was a dictatorship for many years (like Portugal), and events like these were the few occasions they had to have some form of freedom.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Absolutely right ArM'.
Rio still has the cultural legacy of those days expressed at the parades. There is one character toward the end of the formal stuff before it gets nuts that is the embodiment of the removal of oppression. Big, no huge, head dress with a bird mask. Hundreds of characters. Next year for sure. This year TO will do... but most everything is indoors.

Trying to apply North American sensibilties and moral hangups in Brazil simply doesn't work. They don't care what anybody thinks at Carnival time especially. It is an absolutely awesome time if you have locals to party with.

I hear Sao Paolo is even more culturally rich but I've never visited.

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 2-2-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
Trying to apply North American sensibilties and moral hangups in Brazil simply doesn't work.

Please remember that people tend to examine things using their own particular set of optics. If I was European or Asian, I might have had a different initial view. One can't always see every facet of a diamond at first glance.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Tell me about it, could you imagine the reaction to some of Krewe de Vieux floats?

It was meant to bring awareness of the issue, it was not meant to make fun of the Holocaust, as far as I knew, and this isn't the first time it was used.

Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulez! It is Carnival time, I appreciate the fact that some of the floats were used for good instead of simply making everything funny. Don't worry, anyone that follows Carnival for it's religious purpose is going to be punishing themselves enough this Wednesday coming, as Ash Wednesday begins and they are going to be giving up stuff for Lent. This is the time for debauchery before we get serious and get those ashes on our forehead!

new topics

top topics

join