It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domestic Spying Program Could Aid Terrorists, Experts Say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Domestic Spying Program Could Aid Terrorists, Experts Say

abcnews.go.com

Although the Bush administration calls it a vital weapon against terrorism, its domestic wiretapping effort could become a devastating tool for terrorists if hacked or penetrated from inside, according to a new article by a group of America's top computer security experts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.blacklistednews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Homeland Security's 'Cyber Storm' War Game
Bush Orders NSA To Snoop On U.S.
Spying Incorporated

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
As you might know, I am obsessed with the domestic spying issue. Now, I am very concerned that this "program" from the GW administration will definitely do more harm than good. It is very very possible that terrorists can hack into this system. As we have seen recently with the Cyber War Games not going as planned, it is not out of the question that our spying plan can turn against us. First of all, the whole domestic spying program is a bunch of nonsense IMO. Just an excuse to take yet another freedom we have away from us. It has been coined as "catching homegrown terrorists". What a crock.
So, not only are we, American citizens, at risk for being rounded up as domestic "terrorists", but the real terrorists have a very good chance of hacking the system and gaining access to the information that the program is designed to use against them. This clearly gives the terrorists an advantage. If you know your enemies moves, you can easily counter them. This program, IMHO, has clearly been proven to be both unconstitutional and a detriment to the safety of the American people.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
good catch pale, i realy loved this qoute "When you build a system to spy on yourself, you entail an awesome risk." that just goes to show that they realy dont think these things through. if hackers can hack the pentagon and the dod as has been shown on sevral occasions do they realy belive this is haker proof?. as a ex fone phreak i know how easy it is to intercept calls and all this program does is set up all ythe lines in one area for ease of use.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by krill

thanx krill. BTW, love your avatar. Wanted to tell you awhile ago.
Anyway, on topic, has anything this administration done been thought through? It just kills me. He claims this domestic spying is for the safety of citizens, yet,they cannot make a program that is not vulnerable from the very people they are "supposedly" trying to catch. No matter what the system involved is, it will always be hackable. There are people out there that hack just to see if they can. A lot get away with it I am sure. For this reason, I find it impossible to believe that this spying program is truly intended for what Bush says it is.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
police are using wall see through technology to spy on imigrants www.topix.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I think anything that circumvents or otherwise cuts back on our Constitutional rights and civil liberties is aiding terrorism everywhere.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by goodboy447

I also like to keep up on the spying tech that rolls out. That x-ray tech will be used on more than just immigrants. Check this out:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

To FredT;

I agree. Removing our freedoms and rights will bring rise to "extremists" right here on our own soil let alone increase it globally. I never thought I would say this, but if things do not turn around and we reach the extremist movement, I may not think twice about joining it. We as a people need to wake up and realize what is happening here. Just because Bush is on the way out means nothing. These policies are designed to be in place for awhile. The elite always get what they want no matter who their puppet is.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
the big problem with a homegrown movement is you cant do it on a scale big enough to deal out real damage. its suicidal at best i wont repost my thoughts on why it wont work unless im asked. but its safe to say that the way things are set up now a uprising is damn near impossible.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
So much for safety and security. As a matter of fact, I saw something related earlier on a show on the Science Channel. They had a person with a cell phone take off, and a man with a simple laptop computer and "over-the-counter" software found this person's cell number and traced them to a building, then connected to their phone number, and could listen into conversations being had on that phone.

To me anyway, the privacy that we thought we had was only a dream. If any mediocre hacker / script-kiddie can just purchase a program and get my private conversations, then nothing is sacred anymore.

That brings up another question: What's the government doing pumping all of this money into private surveillance if they can do it so easily and cheaply as this? Ahh well, that's a topic for another thread.

TheBorg
Forum Moderator

top topics

join