It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Thread for those who don't quite belong to the 'Faith/Spirituality Thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I've been thinking about this for quite a long time.

I am a Spiritual person, and have seen a need to create a forum for those who arn't 'spiritual/religious in nature - Atheists/Agnostics/etc.

I believe there should exist a forum for Sceptics of 'Hard-core' degrees.

It has come to my attention, that there isn't a specific place for these individuals to 'come together' and discuss 'like minded thinking' regarding the gendre of Atheists.

In the Spirit of 'goodwill' and as well as 'fairplay', I, a Spiritual person, believe that it is necessary to include a forum 'Specific unto these people; equal to the "Faith/Spirituality" forums that believers have.

Atheiests/Agnostics/etc? What title would you give your forum?

What say YOU all?

Respectively, and in kind spirit,

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I'm advocating this on behalf of Atheists/Agnostics/etc.

Do you agree or disagree, that there should be a forum specifically unto YOU, as with the believers/spiritualists forum?

Speak NOW....or forever hold your peace.

Respectively,

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Now is YOUR time.

I won't speak about this further?

Did you not want to respond to this...because it was a 'Spiritual' person initiating this thread for you?

~Ducky~

[edit on 1-2-2008 by TheDuckster]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I find it hard to believe, that there are those that do not want this to transpire?

Why? Why NOT?

So be it.

I'll be a Pontius Pilot and wash my hands clean then.

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
lol, you might have to allow more than 50 minutes for people to reply Ducky dearest.

Its a pity such a forum didnt exist a while back it may not have created as much angst as appeared to have happened with a certain thread.

I'm not sure if i'd post in such a forum anyway even as an atheist, i've pretty much decided that discussion in the faith and Spirituality forum between atheists and theistsis a waste of time.
It just degenerates into name calling from both sides and ends up being ridiculously childish.
Amazing that so alled intelligent adults cant have a discussion about faith or a lack of without petty finger pointing. sigh

mojo

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mojo4sale

I hear what your saying...I REALLY DO.

Mojo?

The Christians/Xians/Spiritual/Believers have their own forums.

Should the 'Non-believers/Atheists/Agnostics Have their own Forums as well?

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I dont understand why the forum cant be shared. you dont have to believe in god to be spiritual do you?

The 911 forum is shared by the conspiracy theorists and skeptics.
aliens and ufo's forum shared be believers and non-believers.
secret society's etc the same.
Its a discussion forum.
i dont know why atheists and theists cant discuss. i dont know that a seperate forum would help.

maybe others think differently?

nice to catch up with ducky.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
BUT...

...doesn't the Faith and Spirituality forum offer just such a venue? -One where those with opposing views can voice their opinions and ideas as well.

Just curious, here...

New Thread for those who don't quite belong to the 'Faith/Spirituality Thread

I, personally, feel that, by ATS being an alternative topic/conspiracy-related discussion board, there's room for ALL viewpoints and considerations... in each and every forum and or genre.

Is it not similar to the recent uproar and ongoing havoc we've experienced in the Secret Societies forum? Those, who apparently seek solace and agreeance amongst like-kind, only to become frustrated when confronted with valid conspiratorial questions and concerns regarding longheld subscriptions to personal beliefs, practices and or traditions. (?)

For me? One of the most endearing aspects of ATS which initally "drew me in" was that for every backslap or Me too there also exists a member or members with diametrically opposed viewpoints, stances or personal considerations.

That, in and of itself, is where, in my opinion, Every member has not only the opportunity to express themselves, their thoughts and ideas, but they are also afforded the opportunity to Broaden their own individual, intellectual, and personal horizons.... to gain a broader, more accurate perpsective of the world around them and those who comprise such.

If any of the above makes a damned bit of sense... my thoughts on the matter.

To each their own... as long as they can discuss or divulge such within the Terms and Conditions.

? thoughts ?

p.s.
We'll never agree on Everything, but we can most certainly Agree to Disagree... all the while via civil discourse and decorum.

no?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I've looked you right in the eye (personally)...you know.

I am not a 'poop-disturber'(well...not in the worsts sorts..lolol) I speak how I feel.

I will definately respect the over-all gendre of the Mods/Admins.

I won't bring this subject up again.

Appologies to the utmost.

Sincerely,

~Ducky~

Edn

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Your putting the wrong people in the wrong places. If you want a forum for people who don't believe in god(s) then you'll need a forum for people who believe in god(s).

Its been mentioned a few times before, no where it the title of the 'Faith, Spirituality & Theology ' forums does it mention that its for believers in a higher being only.

Theology is the study of religion, you don't need to believe in god(s) to discuss that.

Spirituallity: (the wiki puts it best for me) "Spiritual matters are those involving humankind's ultimate nature, not only as material biological organisms, but as beings with a unique potential to relate to that which is beyond both time and the material world."

You don't need no believe in god(s) for that either.

Faith: well the discussion of faith i think is also up for anyone to discuss.

You certainly don't need to believe in god(s) to discuss any of the above and in fact Atheism is simply the polar opposite of Theism, Theism concerns religions with belief in god(s) where as Atheism concerns religions with the lack of belief in god(s). Both are technically in the same category.

Outcasting people of a certain belief from a forum that by definition is open to all is (for the lack of a better example) similar to banishing every Scot from the UK because there not English.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

No appologies [sic] necessary, Ducky. As with several other New Forum requests, I just feel there is more than room enough for All views and or standpoints in those which currently exist.

My post was in no way meant to squelch personal desires, thoughts, or considerations; Actually, it was intended more as a means by which to convey the thought that ALL opinions are welcome and Most appreciated.

As previously mentioned, just as with the Secret Societies forum, there are NO limits as to what can be discussed or put forth... as long as one can do so within the rather liberal constraints of the T&C.

If a given member holds views, thoughts or opinions which may seem antagonistic to traditional Faith/Spirituality memes, so be it. As long as they can state, debate and or disucss such in a manner which focuses on the Topic, they're golden.
Typically, and as has been the case in the past, it's when the discussion devolves to "tit-for-tat" aspersions of fellow members' character and or person that the thread/discussion inherently falls outside the T&C, often requiring closure and or Staff intervention.

Personally, I don't subscribe to Any organized religious beliefs or theology, but I most certainly won't cast my beliefs upon any who choose otherwise... just as I wouldn't sit idly by while those who do so would attempt to cast judgement upon myself.

It's a big rock we spin 'round on, and I just don't see why we All can't exchange our thoughts and viewpoints evenly ... despite personal differences.

? thoughts ?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I'm...afraid.

To post further.

In case I might....warrant a warning...something.

Afraid to post any further.

Sitting on my hands now.

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
BUT...

...doesn't the Faith and Spirituality forum offer just such a venue? -One where those with opposing views can voice their opinions and ideas as well.

Just curious, here...

Does it?
From my point of view NO.
Months ago i was happy to post in that forum, you could check my posts to see that was the case. But lately, no. Ive offered the odd opinion in threads in that forum, prior to that i posted there a lot.
lately i feel there has been a drift in what is deemed acceptable from certain area's. Those that know me on this forum will know that i dont deliberatey look for confrontation in discussion but i steer clear of that forum now.
Without mentioning specifics it seems to me that one or two people with strong opinions that posted alot in that forum are no longer here.
I dont know specifically why, so its left to me to surmise that there involvement in that forum is the reason.
I love this site but there are a few forums now that i dont feel comfortable posting in, Faith and Spirituality is one of those.
The first 12 - 18 months that i was here i never flt like that.

But this is a conspiracy site and maybe i'm just paranoid.

mojo.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
If everyone, with all their own individual beliefs and ideas gets their own threads, then what happens to the open discussion? The debates? Begoming too specific takes away from the general appeal and the questions that leads to new lines of thought, and it takes away the growth of knowledge.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

I and others are in the process of requesting a 'consciousness' forum which is probably along the lines of what you are talking about.

I do not consider myself religious, but definitely spiritual. I believe in a higher power, but do not think organized religion is the path to follow (for me, not anyone else).

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I'm in the curious position of denying organised religion, whilst still maintaining some of the programming I received from being brought up in a certain christian sect.

I regard myself as spiritual, leaning slightly towards agnostic, but with a certain sympathy for atheists.

Yes, I'm confused.

That said, I stay out of posting in the faith forum for exactly the reasons duckster said in the OP.

Perhaps I should make the effort - not every thread degenerates into animosity, does it?

I realise this is a very emotive subject and one that raises the hackles of some. Myself included when someone starts abuse or flaming; I'm not always the most restrained of people.

BUT, as jbondo pointed out in another thread - even though we don't agree on some things regarding religion, god etc I've had enough dealings with him to respect his points even though I don't agree with them.
Would it be too much to ask that I extend the same courtesy to members I don't know, providing they don't flame?
IMO no, it's not too much to ask.

All I would ask is that it's reciprocated.

So no, I see no need for a new forum - we all need to respect each others personal beliefs and try to maintain a level of courtesy consistent with decent debate.

[edit on 2/2/2008 by budski]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Otherwise alot of people feed off the conflict.
Or better yet have 3 forums.

1) believer
2) unbeliever
3) battleground

I think this format would help cut down the crap on all sides.
For a great many of the topics on here.

[edit on 2-2-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I personally don't think we need a new forum.. we just need current members not to continually tell us that we don't belong there [their private online church..]. It gets tiring explaining to people that atheists can indeed be spiritual.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Would be nice in a perfect world.
I think my format is the best bet if you really want to get down to it.
Would need a massive overhaul of ATS but it would be nice.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Requests for new forums and new features should be addressed here:
ATS, BTS, What would you like to see in the future?

Thank you.

Thread closed.

top topics

join