It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latin syntax help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Is there a Latin word for the word "to", as in, "to do something"? Can anyone here help? Thanks in advance!

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well what exactly are you trying to say? Because latin words use different endings to say different things.
The word "do" in Latin is "facio". But facio means "I do".

If you want to say "to do" you could say "facere".

The different endings mean different things.

Make a little sense?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Indeed it does - I suspect that what I'm getting at may be a part of Latin speech that ends up modifying the verb itself. I have a natural understanding - or what I'd refer to as a "working knowledge" - of Latin's roots in other modern languages, but I don't know the first thing about arranging a sentence (in Latin), or how the parts of speech work.

So, I guess an example of what I'm getting at for the word "to" would be, "TO BELIEVE" ...Imagine a banner on a cheap tattoo. How would that be worded in Latin?

Thanks so much for your reply; I knew someone here would be able to help!

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Well believe is "credo" which means "I believe", so "to believe" would be "credere"

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Hmm, so there's no way to say it with two words, one meaning "to"?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I'm not really certain on that. It could be some little word or something, but I'm not sure. Usually it would just be on the ending of the word. Sorry I couldn't help more.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
No, your help is invaluable; I'm sure you're right - it explains why I wasn't able to find a Latin synonym for it using keywords in search engines. I had to find an actual person to explain the phrasing to. I appreciate your help immensely.

I'll elaborate a little more, just in case it might help. "TO BELIEVE" was just an example, "believe" being something I thought would be interchangeable with the verb I actually want to work with, which is a made up word. "Blave" ...Anyone familiar with the movie "The Princess Bride " knows that to blave means to bluff. My band has a song called "To Blave" and I always thought it would be cool to use it like some sort of uber-important mantra, in Latin, on a banner. I did it before, using the phrasing "Ad Blavius" (yes I realize that "blavius" is made-up balogna) and as I understand it, "Ad Blavius", (if we agree that 'blavius' means 'bluff') actually means "to the point of bluffing". Not exactly the sentiment I'm trying to express, so I thought I might be able to get a little bit more accurate.

"Blavere" seems about as close as I'm gonna get, as silly as being accurate about a made-up word is, but it would be really cool if I could put another Latin word before it.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I don't speak Latin, but I do speak a Romance language (Spanish, haltingly), and I can tell you that, to my knowledge, there is no specific word "to". You have infinitives, such as "to run", which is "correr". But you don't have the word "to" -- it's implied because the verb isn't conjugated: "to run", not "I run".

I suppose it could be worded differently, though. And it would look much cooler in two words, although I do like "credere", as enjoies suggested.

Does that help you any? Sorry I couldn't help with the actual Latin bit.

new topics

top topics

join