It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Communion by Whitley Streiber

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
In 1987, Communion by Whitley Streiber hit the bookstores, which is a retelling of his abduction by aliens. I know in past threads, this book has been mentioned. Currently, I am finishing it up and has given me many new things to think about. Just curious as to the thoughts of others on ATS as to Communion and this Whitley's story. And for those who haven't read it, I do highly recommend reading it, very revealing book and interesting experiences he and his family had.

Communion by Whitley Streiber

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I picked the book up a while ago, but still haven't gotten around to reading it. I will have to get on that.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Streibers stuff is good to read for newbies or those that want to learn more but beware as there are many credible UFO types that question whether he is a part time agent.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I haven't read the book but I have watched the movie and wow! That's one bizarre tale of alien encounters that I've never heard about before. That's even freakier than the Betty and Barney Hill story because they were taken out of a cabin in the wilderness. ....Oh yea, the part that scared me the most is probably when the gray peeked it's head from around the dresser

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Strieber's NOT an agent.... The question is whether or not he's slowly going insane. I used to be impressed by his testimony, now it seems that he's going kooky. Though that could be the result of constant alien contact. I'm sure anyone would start to become unhinged after a while.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I did a report in 5th grade about aliens and stuff, of course now that I look back on it, I'm suprised I can remember or even understand much of that stuff, but I did read some of Communion. I remember it scared the living # out of me, and made me unable to sleep for about 3 weeks. The picture on the front of the book probably did it in for me. Now that I'm much older I'd probably understand it better, but I don't really have the time or energy.

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I agree he does sound like he is going slowly insane. I fail to understand what his goal is with the website and radio show, when what he really needs to do is have survellance equipment hooked up in his house and woods where all these encounters happen.

I would think the US govt has already monitored him to a small degree to see if there was any truth to his stories...and I would think that even some UFO investigators would have staked out his house for some time trying to catch a glimpse of the aliens.

But no one else confirms his stories. No video tape, pictures, or evidence whatsoever....you've got to be kidding me, if they show up this much then where's the proof?

I am more frustrated with this guy than anyone on the planet because he could help answer the alien question so easily, but he keeps it at a distance. I feel like I'm listening to some coffee addicted Starbucks' regular that tells in his best low-key voice to his white suburbia friends "I had the most quaint experience last night"...and then cheerio's off home never thinking to get some friends together to catch one of those grey buggers! I'm starting to think he is just nuts...

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I'm with Flinx..his later stuff is pretty out there....but Communion is an excellent read for anybody dabbling in the field....and the movie is an excellent visualization of the book!

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boogie
But no one else confirms his stories. No video tape, pictures, or evidence whatsoever....you've got to be kidding me, if they show up this much then where's the proof?

Well, if you base his book on fact, rather than fiction, the regression by his wife on numerous occassions seems very convincing. Again, his Streiber's work fact? Or fiction? Guess that is decision the reader needs to determine. I do think it's quite interesting (and entertaining).

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think his original experiences are genuine, but that he's simply extrapolated from that, for profit, and as his writing experience grew....

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Oswald

After years of staring at the book on the shelf, with disturbing images of that cover still fresh in my mind, I picked the book up last night despite the terror still induced by its cover. Its wonderfully written, moreso than I expected. Easy to get through despite lofty ideals and meticulous citation. If this is indeed a true account (which it seems), I sympathize deeply for Streiber. These experiences are not unique but remain one of the most chilling accounts of these visitors, even 20+ years later.

I understand his digression into the more recent work he's published. The man isnt going insane, per se; he's a writer and is merely exploring his psyche in a very logical way for someone so acclimated to creative writing.

I saw the movie as a child and the image of the visitor peeking from behind the dresser stuck with me for years, and late last year (October or Nevember) when I saw the film again, that image struck a cold fear deep into my soul, suddenly I remember the fear I had of this film and the book as a child.

As I press into the book (Page 204 just 5 hours after picking it up for the first time) many parts of Streiber's story are akin to my experiences, and it makes me wonder if this condition does not affect every one of us, but only only some of us are able to regain our grip on reality enough to be conscious of it.

The notion of animals as screen memories I found particularly captivating, as I distinctly remember (on more than one occasion) playing with monkeys in my mothers bedroom... I remember telling my mother this and her not thinking much of it - I was still a young kid (age 5-8 probably), but themse memories are as fresh as if they took place last week.

My dreams from childhood even up to now, twenty-some years later, as plagued with images of these visitors, and while none of my dreams are as disctinctly genuine and based in reality as Streiber's, the image of these visitors remains a clear and constant presence in my dream-life.

Dreams of craft landing in my back field, of passing over my house while I waited for the school bus, of these beings trapping me in a basement at school are all recorded with detail in a book my mother kep (the purpose of the boo was to document my childhood - heights and weights, important occasion - yet for some reason, I insisted she record every detail of these dreams in there).

I'm not writing this post to say, "me too!" So please don't label me as another hopeful abductee. ave no tangible memory of these beings in my life, no events of missing time. Just symptoms similar to those of Streiber before he plunged the depths of his mind. Reading Communion has simply opened my eyes to a part of my past I buried, and was wondering if others had similar experiences. I also wonder if anyone else feels this may simply be part of the human condition, but is so deeply srouded only a few particularly strong people are conscious to the reallity of the experiences.

I know this thread is old, so I hope this pot does not go unnoticed. This book is important, and am honestly suprised its taken this long for my curosity to get the better of my fear and read the damn thing.

new topics

top topics

join