It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do YOU know your blood type? Do YOU give blood?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

O neg here...I don't think its universal receiver. I can only receive blood from other O- but I'm pretty sure I can donate and people would be fine.

I didn't used to weigh enough to give blood, but I'm past that point now heh.

JessicaS,

I've also passed out during a blood test...Its not fun and its happened more than once...

[edit on 2/2/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Awwww, Ducky, thank you! My mom is definitely a 'giver' and the thought of you girls on the road at night was just too much for her. Plus, there were snowstorms at the time so, yeah, we both were very concerned about you. We're (ATS) family.

And, yes you have seen me since The Big Event... I posted in your Happy Birthday Access Denied thread.

On topic: I never accepted money for my blood. It would have been nice, since I was in college at the time and any money would have been useful, but, nope, no such luck. I think they mostly pay for blood in big cities... maybe that 'giving American spirit' needs a little coercion sometimes.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
A + I donated blood one time. Then silly me tried to change the oil in my car.. That was a mistake...duh.
My BP suddenly bottomed out and I almost passed out in the front yard. Some how I barely made it in the house.

So since that time I didn't donate.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Yes, I am O+, and I have donated (twice), and should do again before easter, since a rate of once a year isn't really that great. I see a sign saying about it, almost invariably the day after it's been there.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Yeah, I know i's not uncommon to pass out. It was kinda funny after I gave blood at the drive... My dad came to the hospital to pick me up, and he was laughing. "You know we can't give blood." He said with a laugh. He's right, but I honestly only thought i was going to pass out, not ride out in the emergency express.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JessicaS

yeah, i know the feeling.
i hate needles, i break sweat every time someone comes near me with one and i almost fainted after giving a little blood the first time and the nurse pulled the needle out before i passed out, what a hero, pfft :bnghd:

i have had 5 operations in my life time, although i did not need blood i thought it was the best way i could repay the health service and maybe save someone elses life.

my father has cancer and he has needed blood so i am grateful that i have been part of the service..

i am 0+

edit: we posted at the same time, dammit

your dad sounds like alot like my daughters father, if you know what i mean and i think you will.........

[edit on 2-2-2008 by chickenfeet]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I more than break a sweat...I AM a fainter. I simply can't stomach the site of a needle coming at me...or anybody for that matter...or I'm out like a light.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I know my blood type, actually asked when I donated to make sure I didn't get it mixed up with another type which i thought I was. Though, I don't know if it's + or -. I donate blood and plasma.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I'm A+.

The last time i donated I guess i didn't keep my arm folded long enough and the blood seeped under the skin and started to swell.

A good way to get free cookies

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I'm an A+ all the way!! I inherited my dad's blood I guess.

As for if/why I do/don't give blood: I can't because I don't weigh enough.

TheBorg

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

I can't give blood for the same exact reasons and I can't stand the sight of blood...

I think I've passed out at least twice from having blood taken. I'm ok with the blood pricks and shots, but when an IV goes in...Bad things happen.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I can give blood; no probs there.

A few nurses and doctors described (laymen's terms) my veins as being: 'Thin and rolling alot'.

In other words, they would have to leave the rubber tourney wrapped tightly around my arm, longer than others - make my veins stand out, otherwise these people would insert the needle and poke/feel around for a vein.

What made me feel weak in the knees (to the point of almost throwing up or passing out) was when these 'butchers' would poke a vein, miss, take out the needle, poke for a vein again, repeat at least 3-4 times.

If they didn't see the discomfort I was going through by the 2nd poking, I surely 'let them have it' by the 3 and 4th.

Then they have the NERVE to patronize me about how 'wimpy' I've been acting. At this point I'm looking at my good arm and lining my fist up with their face.

I found out, a few times, that I was a 'guinea pig' for 'nurses in training'. I knew that they practiced on pieces of fruit like oranges and what not, but LUCKY ME, managed to go into a clinic for bloodwork, with newbies 'cutting their teeth' so to speak, on my few good veins that I have left. Hoh boy.

I can give blood today, without being too squeemish. As long as I inform the drooling vampire ahead of time, that I have thin/rolley veins, and make sure we all have an understanding of two things:

1. Make the mark the first time
OR
2. I walk out of the clinic (or pass out on the floor)...whatever comes first.

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I am very glad to see this post Ducky, thank you so much. Because I have been meaning to go give blood for some time now and it always seems to slip my mind

I need to find out where I can go to do so on this Navy base so I will be sure to get to it this week.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I do know my blood type and don't give blood because of the fear of being infected by those blood sucking vampires. Plus my veins are quite small and hard to locate; so I don't like the idea of strangers poking around with their long sharp needles and latex laden gloves while trying to find something that belongs to me. Hands off! I want my mommy!

[edit on 2008-2-3 by pikypiky]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I am O+ and give blood every 54 days unless I'm sick.
I've been doing this in my baby brothers names swince he died in 2004 at the age of 22. I encourage everyone to give!

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AngelaLadyS

Angela?

That has got to be the Most beautiful selfless action I've heard in ages. Wowwwww....

God Bless!!!

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
O+

but I can't give out blood :shk:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
O+ here. i have given whole blood, platelets, and double red. what ever they need at the time. also note the word "given" never been paid or even had money offered. i live in the U.S.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I've heard our ATS members regal the blood type that they are, and at the same time stipulate the phrase: "I can't give blood, NOW or EVER.

Is this because these members can't 'physically for medical reasons'? donate blood?

Just courious is all.

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

For me, it's like I said earlier...

It won't come out of my arm.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join