It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do YOU know your blood type? Do YOU give blood?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

Shoooo....bad boy!!!

What did Mama tell ya?

Go play in Excitable_Boy's Tat Parlour

Come back to mama when ya wanna give blood or wanna talk bout blood types.

Love ya!

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by secret titan

Type O negative here. It's the one truely universal type. I used to give blood, but I can't now. I have to wait at least a year.

Edit to add: I believe that O positive can donate to only the Rh positive types.

This is totally correct, O negative is the universal donor.
Those of us that have it are vampire bait and the blood bank is always happy to see us.

People AB positive are called the universal recipient. You lucky folks can take blood from anyone.

O positives can give blood to anyone in the positive groups, but not the negatives.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

O Negative?

I thought it was O Positive Anxiety?

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
AB- here. I used to give blood but since mine is the universal recipient, the blood bank said they didn't really need mine. Huge relief since my blood pressure is so naturally low that it would take over 2 hours for me to fill up a bag and then I'd have to sit there for another hour or so drinking orange juice before I could stand up.

The down side to being AB is lack of immunity. My blood accepts about everything that comes down the pike, rejecting very little as "foreign". Type O's usually have a very strong immune system.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I always thought type AB was on the rare side.

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I tried to give blood once. I was 18 and it was a blood drive. I did it cause a) I feel it's important to give blood no matter what your type is, and b) I didn't know my type and they would tell me what it was.

It was a horrible fiasco and I won't ever try again. First thing, I passed out... No biggy.. that happens alot right? Then I went into shock, threw up, and almost stopped breathing. I ended up leaving the drive in an ambulance. Once allowed to go home, it took me 2 days to be back up to snuff. It all would of been worth it, if they had gotten enough blood from me, but apparently they hadn't gotten enough to even type me and had to throw it all out. So it was all in vain.

I'm O+. I found that out after I had to have surgery, and they took a little to type me. Btw, even when I get blood drawn, I pass out. I was told it's part of some kind of condition, but I can't remember what the doctor said. Only that it's heritary and my dad has it too.

Those who can, should... I just wish I didn't have such a hard time with it.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

Medium rare.

It's getting to be more common. There are a lot of type A's these days and breeding with type B's will naturally produce more AB's. We have a natural immunity to cholera. It's practically impossible for a type AB to get cholera. That's a comfort when I'm hiking/camping (although giardia is still a possibility.)

The national average life span is something like 76 years but when you break it down into blood type you get a very different picture. Type O's generally live much longer-into their 90's and beyond. Type A and type AB (especially AB) usually keel over in their 50's and 60's. Averaged out, it's 76 years but I don't expect to see retirement age.

When I worked at a local hospital here that specializes in heart problems, I noticed that almost everyone that came through was Type A or AB. The rare cases of type O were almost always people in their 90's. The younger ones getting heart caths and bypass surgeries were 45-65 (approximately). It wasn't an official study; just something I happened to observe while working there.

Peter D'Adamo has done some interesting research into blood types if your curious about such things.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster

O Negative?

I thought it was O Positive Anxiety?

I'm sure it's O negative because that's what I have and after you questioned it I did some fact checking to make sure.

www.bloodbook.com...

Though there is this note on it......

NOTE: Recent Blood research indicates that where, at one time, a person with type O negative Blood was considered to be a 'universal donor,' this may no longer be correct, because of a better understanding of the complex issues of immune reactions related to incompatible donor Blood cells.

The big downside of being O negative is that I can only receive blood from another O negative donor if I need it.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I gave blood a few times in my life. Knowing full well that I didn't have any disastrous/contagious diseases.

I've been checked out for every thing under the sun. I've never subscribed to nor ever succumbed to 'needles' for any reason, other than 'medical'. - Protected sex, et al.

I've never received blood from others (screened or not)...and I DO SUBSCRIBE to people, to contribute their own blood, prior to any surgeries.

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
to people, to contribute their own blood, prior to any surgeries.

~Ducky~

isn't this common practice?
before i had my back surgery i had to go to the blood bank on two seperate occasions do stock up in case something happened on the table and i needed blood.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!

You can ASK for this procedure. Give your OWN BLOOD before an operation, and have YOUR SAME BLOOD given back to you during an operation.

This has been an acceptable practice, ever since the 'tainted blood scare' with the Red Cross division, back in the 80's.

People have wisened up since that era.

Blood 'screening' has been at an 'all time high' since that time, and certain 'precautions' have been brought to the medical community awareness, to include the most stable option that I have presented above.

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Because of all the diseases out there it is preferred, if at all possible, for you to donate your own blood rather than take any chance at all of getting some blood born illness. Of course, if you come in through the ER, you don't have that luxury but if you know that you're going to have a surgery a week or two in advance, then by all means, donate your own. If it's not used for you, you can donate it or sell it back to the blood bank.

You can donate to others even if they're not a compatible type. My brother needed lots of donated blood but we were not the same type. I donated anyway and the blood institute "swapped" bag for bag with no cost to my brother on his hospital bill.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Whitewave?

There's a tiny difference in donating blood up here in Canada, as opposed to the U.S.

You see...the word 'donate' denotes a different terminology north of the 49th parralel up here.

Donate means just that: to donate without expecting anything in return.

However, according to the U.S., donate is concidered initially to be of charitible donations....until the 'almighty dollar comes into play.

In other words: American citizens will be re-imbursed $$$$ money-wise for said service.

Am I wrong?

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
what i meant was i had to go give blood twice before they did the surgery on me.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

You had to give blood Boon, before a surgery, in order that the medical team find out a few key items:

1. What 'type blood' does Boon have, in order to facillitate a medical surgery, that may/maynot require additional fluids, in case the medical precedure required thus.

2. What 'type blood' has been recently diagnosed under medical supervision to include Plasma Injections in case YOUR blood type didn't include particular anti-bodies/etc....crucial to surgical procedures, and your physical well-being. Plasma is a vital part of surgical provedures; allows for proper fluid flow, and 'nudges' healthy white/red blood cells to maintain/proprogate other healthy cells to develope.

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

I suspect quite a few things in Canada are different than in the US. Vive' la difference!

One can charitably donate blood in the US during "blood drives" and you can altruistically give until the blood bank tells you to stop. A big problem with the blood supply here is that the majority of donors are homeless, whinos, drug addicts, abysmally impoverished people who sell their blood to stay alive for another day. Chances for disease are higher in this population. Still, most people do not want to spend an hour of their day and give a pint of their blood to someone who's going to sell it for an ungodly amount of money without being recompensed in some way.

As an incentive, blood banks are willing to compensate donors who give for a specific individual by making sure the recipient gets the correct type. If the donor is not the correct type, their blood gets sold to someone who is the correct type that didn't have someone donating for them. It's not an evil system; just a practical and realistic one. The blood itself may be free, ie: donated, but the workers who risk blood born illnesses tapping into strangers veins, the machines that spin the plasma down, etc. are not free.

On a side note; I find it ironic that the man who perfected blood transfusions was a black man who died for want of a blood transfusion because he was not allowed into the "white" hospital. Sad, really.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   

EXACTLY RIGHT Whitewave!

Let's look at the geographical/population statistics now.

What is the total population of Canada.

What is the total population of U.S.

There is close to 40,000,000 people residing in Canada at present.

There is close to 300,000,000 people residing in the U.S.

Big freaking difference in population stats eh?

I think that both countries are kinda gun-ho in getting their citizens to produce the most beneficial aspects performed of their citizens...RIGHT?

You know what boils down to the (craziest $$$$ figures?)

A country of close to 300,000,000, has to um....'bribe'? mabey that's the wrong terminology, - to get her citizens to pull up their sleeves and Donate life-giving fluids...only if they're paid to do so.

I can CERTAINLY understand what it means to be 'POOR'.

Does the fact of 'donating' blood in the American continent mean that ALL citizens are poor?

Why the need to sell-off one's bodilly fluids?

Educate me.

~Ducky~

[edit on 1-2-2008 by TheDuckster]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Hey Ducky!

I used to donate whenever I could-- I think the limit was everything 3 months or so-- so much so that the Red Cross gave me a certificate that my mom framed and hung up like I invented the internet or something.

I'm O-something (probably positive), so I felt it was my responsibility to donate. So far, I've already promised one friend that, when she has kids, I'll be on the scene, just in case she needs my blood.

(that sounded a little vampiric, there)

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by HarlemHottie

Hey HEY hon!!! Haven't seen you around since I met you on Nov.5th. Do you know what I respect about you? You brought yer mom that nite. I met her on the side of everything that was going on. She told me (personally) "How MUCH she was soooooo proud of you hon." Honest to God. The dear soul was such a giving sort. She even offered AD and I a place to stay with HER!!! I'll NEVER forget that EVER.

Harlem...I brought that bit of info up just now, not ONLY to show 'how giving' the AMERICAN SPIRIT is...but to make a valid point as to the 'donating/true giving' really means.

I've felt it firsthand.

I was curious as to why Americans felt the need to accept $$$ for bodilly fluids that would one day 'save a person's life'.

Love

~Ducky~

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I donate blood whenever I can, because I am O-negative, and I know that others with my blood type need it, since O-negative can only receive O-negative.

Whoever said that AB-negative is the universal recipient, they're wrong... They can only receive from other Rh-negatives, although A, B, AB, O... it doesn't matter. That kind of thing is really important to know. Rh-negs can never receive from Rh-positives.

What sucks though, is that whenever I try to donate, they can't get any usable amounts from me. I start clotting almost immediately, and they had to just give up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join