It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video emerges of woman 911 caller forcefully strip searched in police custody

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

I think you completely missed my point. This case is far from closed. There will be more to come out. I'm looking forward to what it is. How is getting all bent out of shape and busting a blood vessel "standing up for each other?" It's just words on the screen and wasted energy.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Omg that's horrid to do to someone who just put in a call, even hardened criminals don't get treated like that. I believe she was fully violated, as there's no purpose for stripping her. Especially a woman of her age(she appears older). Safety? From, what with handcuffs... she already cannot access weapons(that are supposedly on her body?), etc.! I thought male cops were not allowed to be in the presence of a strip search and or helping one.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
Nope. It's just another fellow American citizen. Completely innocent and completely abused by the state.

On what are you basing her "innocence"? The comments of her lawyer who stands to make alot of money off the suit?

I don't know if she is innocent or guilty, and lets be frank neither do you. \

Looks to me like an out of control person. And a video tape edited for some local tabloid esq news station. Where is the portion of the tabe before this part? Im sure its alot less compelling than the clip shown here.

Gee am I jumping to conclutions? Perhaps this build up by the local reporter and lawyer is having its desired effect. manipulating a situation to elicit exactly the same reation many of you are showing in this very thread.

Was she abused? I don't know
Was she out of control? Sure seems like it, but I don't know that either.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
Omg that's horrid to do to someone who just put in a call, even hardened criminals don't get treated like that.

Actually they do. A lot worse too.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

The only thing she is guilty of is showing a "fake" I.D.!!!!!!!

I'd be pretty out of control too if they did that to me!!!!

Conclusions? Jump to conclusions?????!!!!!

Are you people kidding me????!!!!!!

:ma d:

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
I don't know if she is innocent or guilty, and lets be frank neither do you. \

Looks to me like an out of control person.

Innocent or guilty of WHAT?
There have been no charges filed against the victim in this case. 'Guilty until proven innocent' is a concept that people have fought and died to get rid of, yet I see it so comfortably expressed online by my supposed fellow Americans. Stunning.

If the police station had her under charges for assaulting them etc. they would come forth with that information. Instead they are bracing themself for a much deserved lawsuit.

By the way, what is your definition of 'out of control'? If by begging for mercy and screaming in protest while people strip you naked, I would agree... she was out of their control. She shouldn't have been fighting for her dignity, that dirty commie.

[edit on 2-2-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

So you are filling in the blanks to this by accepting everything her lawyers say(lawsuit pending) and denying what the sheriff claims? As I said, there's more to come.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Innocent or guilty of WHAT?
There have been no charges filed against the victim in this case. 'Guilty until proven innocent' is a concept that people have fought and died to get rid of, yet I see it so comfortably expressed online by my supposed fellow Americans. Stunning.

Actually she HAS been charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

As to the bold I see that concept being used very liberally with the cops. Are they "guilty until proven innocent" as well? You'd sure think so from reading this thread.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
So you are filling in the blanks to this by accepting everything her lawyers say(lawsuit pending) and denying what the sheriff claims? As I said, there's more to come.

I would have to say that those insinuating that the victim was 'out of control' or somehow deserved being held down and stripped naked, are the ones filling in the blanks. Don't you think?

I mean here we have the case, where a civilian has themself being held down and stripped naked while begging for mercy, with NO violent or serious charges held against them. The police have not issued a single explanation for their activity, yet here we have people claiming that she 'probably' did something to deserve it

Nazi Germany v. 2.0 is up and running, seems to be doing just fine. Nothing to see people, be on your way.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

There is no excuse for what they did to her. I don't have to listen to her lawyers, or the Sheriff. Disorderly conduct gets most people an appearance ticket, not raped (even without the penetration).

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Actually she HAS been charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Hey, as an American and a Patriot, I say kudos to her for standing up for her constitutional rights. They had no right to arrest her for accidentally showing them her dead sisters I.D. There was nothing intentional or suspicious about that, whatsoever, yet it was enough for them to drag her to the police station and later rip her clothes off.

If anyone should be charged with disorderly conduct, it's the police. Blatantly abusing peoples rights is just a tasty side-dish to their already spectacular display of fascism: dragging the innocent victim of an assault to jail over a petty misunderstanding.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I mean here we have the case, where a civilian has themself being held down and stripped naked while begging for mercy, with NO violent or serious charges held against them.

You DO know the environment that they work in right? Things go south REALLY quickly at times. I've seen a little Asian guy on what turned out to be PCP wrestle a half a dozen burly CO's.

The police have not issued a single explanation for their activity, yet here we have people claiming that she 'probably' did something to deserve it

That's because, unlike many here, they are investigating to find out what happened. I am waiting for those FACTS before castigating the cops. Still shouldn't have been men there though.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceBits

Please explain what in the world this woman could have done to deserve such treatment? Being stripped by male officers is ok by you? This woman was a victom of assault, called the police for help, only to have the help(cops) assualt here worst than she already was assaulted?

It's not really my place to explain. It's for the officers in question to explain in court, whether civil or criminal, and for a judge or a jury of their peers to decide if that explanation has merit. I never said that I thought the incident was entirely excusable, rather I simply argued that one didn’t have enough information to truly make an informed judgment about it. Without more information one cannot make the call whether it was bad policing, bad policies, or bad conduct on the “victim” that caused the events shown in the video. I believe it is you who is making definitive statements one way or the other, not I.

I hesitate to even offer up a hypothetical situation as to how the events could have unfolded in which the officers may not have been culpable, seeing how you, and some others here, have obviously made up your minds already and would only use any part of that hypothetical that later proved not to be fact to further your agenda.

However, as Buck Division laid out a few posts below your reply to me, there are conceivable scenarios, that would place the blame for these events on the ‘victim’, or the system itself rather than the officers.

Further, I would argue that while it’s not pleasant to watch, inmates who are deemed to be possibly suicidal are routinely stripped of their clothing in order to remove any items which they can use to harm themselves or others and unfortunately this sometimes has to be done by force. Again, in most cases, correctional facilities do have suicide smocks, but what about the facilities that don’t because of a lack of funding? Should they simply place the inmate fully clothed in a cell, and just hope that the inmate doesn’t hang or choke themselves with their clothing? And if they do, are you going to make sure that they aren’t sued by the bereaved family when an inmate does manage to commit suicide in jail?

So, with all due respect, your hypothetical musings on how one might manage to kill themselves while nude in a jail cell are irrelevant. Correctional administrators know that they cannot completely stop a determined inmate from harming themselves, it’s not about that. It’s about lessening the chances and opportunities, and mitigating the risks, not humiliation.

I will absolutely concede that from the video, one can at least tell that male officers were involved, and as I believe Intrepid noted, this is almost always against policy. Jprophet420, you are absolutely correct about that. However, this alone does not show, what so ever, that there was any malice or malignant intent involved. It may prove to be a willful disregard for policy. Then again, it may not. Rather, it may prove to be the case that they simply didn’t have enough female staff on hand to control the situation, and while that is a problem that should be addressed, it does not warrant the officers involved losing their jobs or their freedom.

-Cypher

[edit on 2-2-2008 by Cypher]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Instead of responding individually to each and every point made in opposition to mine, I’d instead like to make one more point, and then I’m done on this thread. I can be called an idiot and other names from my significant other, I don’t need it here too…especially when I haven’t taken a solid position on this incident one way or the other.

So with that said; here goes.

In light of the vigorous responses my original post garnered, I’d like to reiterate one thing:

I am not arguing that this incident is entirely explainable and/or reasonable. I was instead questioning those who placed the blame fully on the officers, without considering that the ‘victim’ and or bad policies may have been to blame instead.

I was trying, and continue, to appeal to the better nature of this board’s members, and ask them to investigate this incident as fully as they would any other allegation before passing judgment on the officers involved.

I understand that people are passionate about this subject. When one feels they are powerless in the face of a governmental organization it naturally elicits a strong response. However, in my opinion this argues even more for a reasoned approach, as we are nothing if we let our emotions get the better of us and cloud our judgment.

I did not, have not, and will not, question the intelligence of this board. If anything, I questioned some member’s dedication to the motto of “Deny Ignorance”. Ignorance being defined as the “lack of knowledge or education”, not the lack of intelligence. To the contrary; I believe that ATS has some of the most intelligent discourse on the internet, short of scholarly debates, on a wide range of subjects. That is why I and others come to this site.

The events of this incident are indeed troubling. However, the point of my original post was to express that I found even more troubling the general lack of effort to find out more about the events in question and through that knowledge, to learn and discuss ways to avoid things like this in the future.

As troubling as this incident is, without investigating it further and finding out where the true fault lies, there can be nothing learned from it. I welcome reasoned passionate, debate, and look forward to learning more about the specifics of the case with an open mind.

If the fault lies solely on the shoulders of the Sheriff’s department, then I will join the chorus of voices calling for their removal from the force, for consideration by the local D.A. of criminal proceedings against them, and even more importantly, policies and training for the Sheriff’s Department to ensure that something like this doesn’t happen again. But I refuse to jump to conclusions from an incomplete and biased report of the event by a local news reporter. You folks can, but I won’t.

Rant off,

-Cypher out.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
My blood is boiling.....

I'm sure terrorists would not be treated the same manner that this lady has had to endure.
Her human rights have been violated to the maximum.
Heads must roll for this.
I see no justification whatever to use this level of force and what I deem as institutional rape.
There are words in my mind I just cannot print here.
This is disgraceful.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I don't know what makes me more sick at this point. What happened to this woman, or the fact that so many people are prepared to "reserve judgement" until all the facts are out.

Let me tell you something. There was an officer in a local department here who was literally violently raping women during traffic stops for years. He got away with it several times because people who saw the women fighting the cop decided to "reserve judgement." They automatically gave the cop the benefit of the doubt and assumed these women must have done something wrong for this cop to mace them and handcuff them to get them into his squad car to rape them.

This was not the only officer in the department doing this either, but one finally did lose his shield.

This is well beyond denying ignorance here people. We're arguing wether or not blue is actually blue.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox

This is well beyond denying ignorance here people. We're arguing wether or not blue is actually blue.

Once upon a time, a guy who wasn't a cop raped several women. Because he was a man, people gave him the benefit of the doubt. Shall we then assume, that all men are rapists?

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I fail to see any abuse or torture in this situation.

She may've been out of control, though. But again I don't know, I wasn't there.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
The only thing she is guilty of is showing a "fake" I.D.!!!!!!!

And again you are basing that on what the lawyer and her supporters are saying. You or I have no idea about how she behaved or acted after that or what she did do we?

I'd be pretty out of control too if they did that to me!!!!

If they confiscated a fake ID? You would get that out of controll? Again you are basing your highly emotional anlysis on a video clip and a tabliod bit by some local news station that is trying to stir up some ratings and a lawyer who has financial reason to do so.

Conclusions? Jump to conclusions?????!!!!!

Are you people kidding me????!!!!!!

Yeah your right, go ahead and base your conclutions on one video clip, the tabliod style report from the local station, and the typical lawyer speak. Go ahead and try, convict and sentance without all of the evidence. :shk:

:ma d:

Wow you must be really upset . But hey turn that frown upside down

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I think what i'm the most fed up with is the rampant stereotyping. It's not just in the police department, it's all over the internet, the TV, the radio, books, magazines and so on. This group blames that group. This race blames that race. This gender blames that gender. This non-religion blames that religion. This religion blames that religion. This country blames that country. ETC ad nauseum ETC. ATS is rampant with it, especially.

To make a point, some feel it necessary to modify the parameters of the discussion, by exaggeration, over simplification, mischaracterization, accusation and defamation.

We need to get a grip on reality here. No one on ATS, to my knowledge, is in agreement with the woman being strip searched with men in attendance. So knock off the mischaracterizations. Quit with the stereotyping. Just stop it already

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join