It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the cooler advances in medicine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I did a search so I hope this hasn't been posted.

I heard about something like this awhile back I think when they were first attempting to do it and now success!

Finnish patient gets new jaw from own stem cells

HELSINKI (Reuters) - Scientists in Finland said they had replaced a 65-year-old patient's upper jaw with a bone transplant cultivated from stem cells isolated from his own fatty tissue and grown inside his abdomen.
Researchers said on Friday the breakthrough opened up new ways to treat severe tissue damage and made the prospect of custom-made living spares parts for humans a step closer to reality.
"There have been a couple of similar-sounding procedures before, but these didn't use the patient's own stem cells that were first cultured and expanded in laboratory and differentiated into bone tissue," said Riitta Suuronen of the Regea Institute of Regenerative Medicine, part of the University of Tampere.
She told a news conference the patient was recovering more quickly than he would have if he had received a bone graft from his leg.

See the rest here: news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Very very cool.

This is but a hint of the potnetial that stem cell research has. Too bad that thanks to the policies of the Bush administration, the US runs the risk of becoming a backwater in terms of research.

However, some states Like California have forged ahead on thier own with state funded research.

Im still waiting on a whole organ like a kidney or a liver. Imagine a world where if you need one they can grow you one in a few weeks. No more transplant drugs for the rest of your life etc.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

As a Christian I try to err on the side of caution when it regards human embryos but there are other ways to get stem cells as this story shows. I honestly don't remember Bush's specific policy on stem cells (shame on me) so I can't really comment much further until I do some back reading.

After doing a quick check it seems that stem cell research labs have no problems meeting the Presidents criteria and IMO embryonic stem cells are not necessarily needed. Furthermore, in most cases isn't it better to harvest stem cells from the client anyway?

Again, I'm sure there is a lot more reading to do on the subject to fully understand all the factors involved.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Replacement took 9 months to grow, just likeh baby

To not to leave this as a one-liner:

It was a piece of upper-right jawbone that was infected with cancer which needed to be replaced, so they took stemcells from patient's fat tissue and put them into specifically retailed titanium rack inside his abdomen and grew a replacement part.

Furthermore as someone mentioned, this has nothing do with human embryos, so it should be legit in a religious sense too. I think.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by v01i0]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Good thoughts....

And I would be glad to read your crappy blog!

new topics

top topics

join