It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul message from Glenn Beck newsletter:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Message from Ron Paul

America became the greatest, most prosperous nation in history through low taxes, constitutionally limited government, personal freedom, and a belief in sound money. We need to return to those principles so our economy can thrive once again.

Other candidates talk a lot about stimulus packages, but my record stands alone. I have fought for these measures in Congress as the Ranking Member on the House Financial Services Committee's Subcommittee on Domestic and International Monetary Policy, Trade and Technology, and as a member of the Joint Economic Committee, and will fight for their passage as president.

My plan entails four points: Tax Reform, Spending Reform, Monetary Policy Reform, and Regulatory Reform.

Tax reform means reducing the tax burden and eliminating taxes that punish investment and savings, including job-killing corporate taxes. If we cut spending to the level it was at under the Clinton administration, we can permanently do away with the income tax and the IRS. No true conservative would say that government was too small during the Clinton years!

There are several steps we can take to immediately ease the tax burden. I have proposed H.J. Res 23, which would repeal the Sixteenth Amendment and thus eliminate income, estate, and capital gains taxes. H.R. 191 would repeal President Clinton's 1993 increase in taxes on Social Security benefits, while H.R. 192 would repeal all taxes on Social Security benefits. I also support legislation to accelerate depreciation on investment and end the practice of taxing forgiven mortgage debt.

In the area of spending reform, I want to eliminate wasteful spending, reduce overseas commitments, and freeze all non-defense, non-entitlement spending at current levels. I never vote for pork-laden bills, and I will veto them and any unbalanced budget as president. We need to refocus our national defense so that we guard our own borders, instead those of other nations. We can save billions if we stop subsidizing our trading partners in Europe, Japan, South Korea and other nations. Congress does not have the constitutional authority to send out foreign aid, and our current foreign policy of nation building is bankrupting us.

Monetary policy reform means expanding openness at the Federal Reserve and requiring the Fed to televise its meetings, as well as returning to sound money. Washington's disastrous fiscal policies, marked by shameless deficit spending and Federal Reserve currency devaluation, are some of the greatest threats facing our nation today. It is this one-two punch — Congress spending more than it can tax or borrow, and the Treasury printing money to make up the difference -- that threatens to impoverish us by further destroying the value of our dollars. It's time to end the fiat money system, legalize competing currencies, and restore soundness to our dollar.

Finally, we need to institute true regulatory reform by repealing Sarbanes/Oxley's regulations that push companies to seek capital outside of U.S. markets. Congress' rush to action after the Enron scandal gave us a bill that has heavily burdened small businesses and driven companies offshore. I also support repealing federal regulations that prevent financial institutions such as independent and community banks and credit unions from fostering economic growth.

A true package to stimulate the economy not only puts money back in Americans' pockets, it deals with the underlying causes of our current situation - an out-of-control foreign policy, runaway deficit spending, and currency devaluation brought on by the Federal Reserve's inflationary policies. When enacted, my plan will provide both short-term stimulus and lay the groundwork for long-term prosperity.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Maybe this will help clear up some of RP economic plans to those who still don't get it.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
repeal the 16th amendment...
um...that's not going to happen.
no matter who is elected as president, it's a useful amendment.

and wouldn't the nation be better served by using the money that would be saved from a streamlined budget by creating a healthcare system similar to france?

national defense?
i thought the enemy of liberty was a standing army... or does ron paul not agree with the founding fathers on that one?

WITHDRAW FROM SOUTH KOREA?

...ok, i've heard people saying that ron paul is crazy, and i didn't believe it until i saw that...

that's...well, it's plain idiotic. that's still a conflict. if we withdraw our troops there is a high possibility that north korea will invade the south again...

and can i see the reasoning behind congress not having the power to send out foreign aid?
doesn't that fall under their powers relating to treaties?

i still don't see how the "returning soundness to our dollar" idea is so good...

now, he says all these things about certain legislation hindering economic growth... now, where is the reasoning?
i hear that kind of stuff...but nobody ever provides the causation of how it is so bad.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Madness, show me anywhere in any legislation where it is the United States responsibility to protect the SK/NK border. That's not our fight. And if you cough up the 'if we don't stop them there we'll be fighting them in our streets' garbage 'they' used to sell the Vietnam War I swear to God I'll puke.

We need to help coutries stand on their own and be willing to live with the results if they won't/can't. I don't see anyone jumping up and down about the goings on in the African continent.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

there may not be legislation, but there is diplomatic commitment. we keep the troops there, the area is stable. there's no formal peace treaty.

if we leave we may see a second korean war...
now, considering the seoul is within barrage range of the border...i wouldn't want to risk the civilian casualties.

if we leave, any blood is on our hands for abandoning it.
i personally put people's lives over stupid statements like "it's not our conflict"

and i'm all for helping end conflict in the african continent, by the way...

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Madnessinmysoul.... you disapoint me.

Hoe can you sit there and support The Korean War... it is still going on... no peace treaty was ever reached... thus... no 2nd Korean War can start until the 1st one ends, which is coming up on 50 years...

And your only aregument for staying there... is because we are already there...

You seem to have the arrogant notion that all other countries in the world are weak and incapible of defending themselfs...

The truth is no one has any idea what would happen if the DMZ was opened up/

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
Madnessinmysoul.... you disapoint me.

Hoe can you sit there and support The Korean War

um...maybe because many lives were at stake and the people that live in south korea now would probably be living in the same or worse conditions that those in north korea currently face

or maybe it's because it was an actual UN mission... something approved by the international community instead of a unilateral action

... it is still going on... no peace treaty was ever reached... thus... no 2nd Korean War can start until the 1st one ends, which is coming up on 50 years...

ok, you got me on a technicality...

And your only aregument for staying there... is because we are already there...

no, my argument for staying there is that we're the only thing preventing a re-escalation of conflict

You seem to have the arrogant notion that all other countries in the world are weak and incapible of defending themselfs...

i never said that....

in the case of a nation like south korea going up against a heavily militarized nation like north korea, there would be massive bloodshed.

north korea has the 4th largest army in the world, south korea has the 5th
south korea has a bigger military budget

a renewing of conflict would create one of the worst conflicts in recent times...
i'm not saying south korea would necessarily lose, but with us there they don't have to fight such a costly war

The truth is no one has any idea what would happen if the DMZ was opened up/

we have ideas, we just don't know which one of them would end up happening...

and many of the scenarios involve open war instead of technically still a war

[edit on 2/3/08 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Mr Madness,

Since when is it our responsibility to police the world? When we are dying as a nation?

We are losing the war on surviving.

Our own educational system is in disgrace, our health care system is crumbling, our infrastructure is decaying and soon to be under the control of foreign companies, our monetary system is collapsing, people are losing their homes and jobs, our military is stretched out, and minus the option of a draft, we are almost being left defenseless. At the same time, Americans are losing their freedoms protected by the constitution, and maybe our own identities as Americans.

Yet, the rich are getting richer. The rich are protected. The rich have free reign. Welcome EU, Welcome NAU, AU.

Goodbye 1776, hello 1984.

So if our country is dying, shouldn't we bring home everything? Shouldn't we first fix what's broken here?

Staying in SK is not the answer. Staying in Iraq is not the answer. We have citizens dying here due to a corrupt system. We are losing our identities due to a corrupt system.

What has the SK done for us? Why do my tax dollars go there, when theres homeless children in our country?

Why do terrorist get free health care, when my friend's father dies due to not having any?

Are you Pro American?

We should have a strong military, but we should also have a strong home based government and system.

Why the budget is 70/ 30 in favor of the military, is what is wrong with our country.

We do not have to have bases in 130 countries. We do not have to give our jobs to India. We have to invest here, before its over, and my children die as a result of poor policies supported by people like you.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by squidboy
Mr Madness,

Since when is it our responsibility to police the world? When we are dying as a nation?

i never said we should police the world, we should do our part to maintain order, not take on the whole burden for ourselves

We are losing the war on surviving.

well, that has nothing to do with the above...

Our own educational system is in disgrace,

yep, and yet you don't want to look to other nations for a better way to do things
and ron paul would abolish one of the few things holding it together.... then make it a completely state run system...
let's see what happens when states take over things...look at what happened in kansas

our health care system is crumbling,

because you won't embrace socialized health care.

our infrastructure is decaying and soon to be under the control of foreign companies,

eh, that's unlikely...

our monetary system is collapsing,

and ron paul solves this one how?

people are losing their homes and jobs,

again, ron paul solves this how?

our military is stretched out, and minus the option of a draft, we are almost being left defenseless.

we have enough nukes to turn any nation on this planet into a field of glass...i don't think anyone is going to be stupid enough to attack us

At the same time, Americans are losing their freedoms protected by the constitution, and maybe our own identities as Americans.

the freedoms part i'll agree with...but america never really had a cohesive, historical identity. most of our culture is based on the present pop culture trends, very little of it is a constant, unlike other nations where they have traditions that stretch back thousands of years

we're a nation that measures time in decades

Yet, the rich are getting richer. The rich are protected. The rich have free reign.

and do you honestly think that ron paul's system that would get rid of many regulations and corporate taxes is good for the common man?

Welcome EU, Welcome NAU, AU.

do you actually know the first thing about the european union, or are you just fearmongering?

Goodbye 1776, hello 1984.

yep, you're fearmongering

So if our country is dying, shouldn't we bring home everything? Shouldn't we first fix what's broken here?

we can fix it quite easily and we don't need to do it at the expense of other lives

Staying in SK is not the answer.

why? because american lives suddenly have more value than korean lives (notice i didn't say south)

Staying in Iraq is not the answer.

why? because american lives have more value than iraqi lives?

We are losing our identities due to a corrupt system.

what identities? cultural or personal?
What has the SK done for us? Why do my tax dollars go there, when theres homeless children in our country?

Why do terrorist get free health care,

you mean the suspected terrorists at gitmo that are tortured regularly?

when my friend's father dies due to not having any?

you're right, why shouldn't we have the same system as france? it's much better

Are you Pro American?

i'm pro the dream, not the nation. i don't care about nations, nations are institutions that come and go. i care about ideals and people.

We should have a strong military,

that sound you hear is george washington spinning in his grave
read his farewell address, and you'll know why

but we should also have a strong home based government and system.

true, we should. let's start with a more direct democracy by abolishing the electoral college.

Why the budget is 70/ 30 in favor of the military, is what is wrong with our country.

We do not have to have bases in 130 countries.

is that number just something you pulled from your rear, or can you back it up?

We do not have to give our jobs to India.

well, i don't support that...but that kind of falls under that whole "freedom" thing. from a certain viewpoint, a company should be allowed to base itself wherever it wants to be based.

We have to invest here, before its over, and my children die as a result of poor policies supported by people like you.

wow....
considering that you didn't really attack any of my positions, that's an awful ad hom.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
If a country can't build its own military up in 50 years to defend its self, well I don't think thay are worth protecting. I think its time we stop being the welfare state for other countries, beside if people don't like welfare here for there own countrymen then they shouldn't want it for other countries.

new topics

top topics

join