It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undersea Cables Cut: Oops or Uh-oh?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Having fighters in the sky is part of the scenery around here. But having them screaching low and going supersonic near the city is rare-

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
All this talk of cut cables is worrying. Anyhow, I hope they get up and running again soon. Personally, I don't feel Iran or the rest of the middle east to be a threat to the US. We(the US) seem to be a threat to our own selves. That's my 2 cents worth.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Well, I keep looking for a way to check the port status of Abu Dhabi, but no such luck- not quickly anyways...

I still think that is strange.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Does this mean anything?

US anti-missile ship to dock in Haifa today

Combined with that other news regarding Israel you posted earlier, loam, could it be anything?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
well they are exchanging gun fire at the Egypt border right now.

may be its connected ???

snnopyuk

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I heard a brief report this morning on an Israeli missile attack in Gaza that killed a Hamas leader. I thought, given the under-sea cables, border fence breach and Bush's recent "peace" effort there that more would have been made of it but it was just a blip on the news radar.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

I just don't know.

Seem to be strange signs everywhere...

[edit on 4-2-2008 by loam]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

There are more than 150 terminals connected to the EDP main computer which has the advanced software to provide all the information required by the departments. All warehousing operations are also computerized so that customers can have access to any required data. Importers are offered the facility of partial deliveries from stored goods which then can be stored in secured lockers.

Link

I think its safe to say it would not be a good thing for the port considering the way it depends on these connections to do business.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

This is a very good point. I could understand that, but why then blame it on the weather????

Odd.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by snoopyuk

I've been away from the radio all day...between who and who?

Regarding this thread and the recent regional events, there are too many dots and too many connections in that small geographic location...my hackles are up!

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This just gets more fascinating...

Look at how this is being played:

"We are fixing the cable, technicians are at work and we forecast that 10 days will be needed to repair the damage," Al Mutawa told Gulf News.

Al Mutawa said cable cuts are very common and for this reason Qtel has diversified its connectivity routes to minimise the impact on internet users.

"Since these incidents occur normally, Qtel has put in place a system of alternative routes." Local customers confirmed the impact on the service across Qatar was minimal.

Link

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Another thought is would this have delayed stock-market trading on any of the days that these events occurred? The US markets are in a sub-prime led quagmire and with the richest ME states holding such high-reserves in dollar denominations and assets, could there have been illicit gains been made by th eUS market forces by slowing access to market information to those ME stock/currency holders by severing the data-link cables?

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

Originally posted by snoopyuk

I've been away from the radio all day...between who and who?

Egyptian police and Gaza Strip Palestinians. They're trying to get out of the area because it has been blockaded.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I posted this in another thread, not sure if it is worthy of its own topic.

Iran inaugerates space programme (from BBC)

It shocks me that when Ahmedinijad (sp??) makes statements of taking israel off of the map we hear about it within a few hours.

But now Iran supposedly tests their first rocket, and is kicking the door open to launch satellites? I am pretty sure that Bush does not want Iran playing with rocket fuel.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by White Chocolate

There are so many possibilities...it's all starting to become meaningless.

Who knows. I guess we watch and wait...

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Since this thread appears to be about both the cut cables and Iran...I thought I would post the following as a reminder that the clock is indeed ticking until approximately this Sunday, February 10.

Monday, January 14, 2008 :

Iran nuclear probe sets four-week deadline.

IRAN’S leaders agreed to answer all remaining questions about their country’s past nuclear activities within four weeks in talks with the UN’s chief nuclear inspector, his spokeswoman said yesterday.

Iran agreed to four week deadline with U.N. Chief Nuclear Inspector

In Abu Dhabi yesterday, US President George W Bush said Iran “defies the UN and destabilises the region by refusing to be open and transparent about its nuclear programmes and ambitions”. He also said Iran funds terrorist extremists, undermines stability in Lebanon, sends arms to the Taliban regime and intimidates its neighbours with alarming rhetoric.

“The US is strengthening our security commitments with our friends in the Gulf, and rallying friends around the world to confront this danger before it is too late,” he said.

See the link for the full story.

Tick Tock Tick Tock.....

on edit: Why do there continue to be three threads on this?

[edit on 4-2-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Here is an interesting piece in the International Herald Tribune.

Ruptures call safety of Internet cables into question

Note that "Flag Telecom has never had two cables down at the same time in the region". Yet a previous article I cited above said it happens all of the time!

No one has their stories straight.

And this article answers another question I had earlier:

The cables that carry the traffic lies deep under the water. Not just that, the cable isn't buried. It is simply bound to the seabed at some locations using ‘stings'. As the currents change, the cables drift between these stings. That makes it tough for engineers to pin point the location where the cable is damaged. Add to this the fact that the damage usually isn't physical. It is electronic.

Link.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsHumanNature
Something is going on folks. I can hear fighters going supersonic here in the Phoenix area- been going on all night- about 10 minutes ago several came real close. the booms shook the whole house. wtf is going on? Anybody else hear activity?

Maybe they were the jets that flew over the superbowl?

This whole thing sounds fishy though. I'm thinking it's either a warning, or a prelude to an attack on the ME.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Looks like that if anything is going to happen behind the cable-cutting, it’s going to be before Feb. 12. Then again, there could be unforeseen delays in repair, like the weather related stuff posted earlier.

www.infoworld.com...

Thank God the SB wasn’t a target. I’m hoping this is just an attempt to delay the Iranian oil bourse opening and not a preparation for military attack.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Instead of starting yet ANOTHER thread on cable cuts; I'm posting here.

The cable cuts might be up to FIVE now.

www.whatreallyhappened.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join