It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undersea Cables Cut: Oops or Uh-oh?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SolPower

Originally posted by SolPower
"Cutting" internet and telephone cables does not benefit anyone, anywhere.

My guess is that this is related to geological activity.

The Pentagon obviously disagrees with you. See here and here.

[edit on 3-2-2008 by loam]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

What do you mean it doesn't benefit anyone, anywhere??? Are you saying that if terrorists crashed the internet here in the states that it would have no effect and we'd just go about our merry business?

What better way to 1. Send a message. and 2. Stop the flow of information, financial and educational into and out of an area.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Listening to a conversation would prove to be more beneficial than destroying it. That is a fact.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Nowhere on there do I see how destroying an internet/telephone cable would prove more beneficial than listening or watching the conversations.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I hope your line of work doesn't involve military strategy.

I can think of dozens of reasons to keep an enemy in the dark...or cut off from the rest of the world...or disrupted...

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I think we would be treating the four cables being cut as a military incident unless we were doing it or allowing someone to do it. I also think Israel is about to strike Iran. They might be using the upcoming dollar/ oil exchange switch as cover for their actions making us look responsible. We would be able to see on satellite if any surface ships were there. If its subs, then what are the chances the US doesn't have every sub in the region pinned down? Israel shot two and killed one across the border in Lebanon. It's Super Bowl Sunday......?

edited for clarification and myspellings

[edit on 3-2-2008 by stikkinikki]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Listening to a conversation would prove to be more beneficial than destroying it. That is a fact.

Who's talking about simple conversational eavesdropping? We're talking about halting entire country's economies here. If they can't communicate electronically with the outside world and send and receive money then it's back to doing it the old fashioned way. PHYSICAL transfer of funds and information i.e.: ground/air transprtation and newspapers. Think that wouldn't have an effect on a country used to instananeous transfer?

[edit on 2/3/2008 by ElectRon41]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

I hope your line of work doesn't involve military strategy.

I can think of dozens of reasons to keep an enemy in the dark...or cut off from the rest of the world...or disrupted...

Cut off from the rest of the world huh? With the globalization of today, it's going to take more than few cut cables my friend.

Do you know how many interests the U.S. and other countries have in the Middle East? Many. We live in a globalized world buddy, wake up!

And as far as keeping an enemy in the dark - its a fine strategy, but it does not outweigh the importance of counter-intelligence.

And yes my line of work does involve the military.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectRon41

Who's talking about simple conversational eavesdropping? We're talking about halting entire country's economies here. If they can't communicate electronically with the outside world and send and receive money then it's back to doing it the old fashioned way. PHYSICAL transfer of funds and information i.e.: ground/air transprtation and newspapers. Think that wouldn't have an effect on a country used to instananeous transfer?

[edit on 2/3/2008 by ElectRon41]

The risk of disabling or damaging a countries internet for a period of a few days is not worth "being caught", I promise you that. Especially since this isn't a world war scenario. Not to mention, these areas are still capable of running their markets, have you not been reading? They have been diverting internet traffic around the world via satellites and other cables. Once again, we live in a GLOBALIZED world.

[edit on 3-2-2008 by SolPower]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

It's called information warfare and the result is that Iran is cut-off from making automated financial transactions. There has been no geological activity reported as a cause for this...it's highly doubtful this was an accident. 4 cuts? lol

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberSEAL

It's called information warfare and the result is that Iran is cut-off from making automated financial transactions. There has been no geological activity reported as a cause for this...it's highly doubtful this was an accident. 4 cuts? lol

Show me the article that states that Iran is cut off from making automated financial transactions?

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Ouch.

I hope not for us.

In any event, believe what you will. There are many advantages to disrupting telecom service on such a large scale. Those advantages might differ depending on who did the disrupting, but I think it's nearly safe to rule out "geological' reasons...or mere coincidence. And since I don't believe there is some nautical roving band of juvenile delinquents looking for some thrills, I'm betting on something far more organized.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Seems there is a historical precedent to undersea communications cables being cut as a prelude to war.

findarticles.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Oh and if you doubt the geological activity in this region, please read here:

www.payvand.com...

This is a general overview, not directly linked to the current disasters, HOWEVER, note this quote specifically the end:

Earthquake damage prevention requires organized nationwide planning and that in turn relies on successful identification of high-risk areas. Most faults, as zones of mechanical weakness prone to seismic rupture, can be located on the ground by means of geological field investigations aided by aerial or satellite imagery. However, not all faults are seismically active and not all active faults produce large magnitude earthquakes.

So it's possible that the activity simply hasn't been noticed yet. This theory is just as grounded as internet sabotage.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistor
Seems there is a historical precedent to undersea communications cables being cut as a prelude to war.

findarticles.com...

Good point, and it would have been helpful back in the day. But now we have satellites and the ability reroute traffic - not nearly as effective. They will have 90% of their operations returned today according to some news articles.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Ouch.

I hope not for us.

In any event, believe what you will. There are many advantages to disrupting telecom service on such a large scale. Those advantages might differ depending on who did the disrupting, but I think it's nearly safe to rule out "geological' reasons...or mere coincidence. And since I don't believe there is some nautical roving band of juvenile delinquents looking for some thrills, I'm betting on something far more organized.

Yes, for us. And why do you hope not?

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistor

findarticles.com...

Good point, and it would have been helpful back in the day. But now we have satellites and the ability reroute traffic - not nearly as effective. They will have 90% of their operations returned today according to some news articles.

All of this sounds reasonable if the intent was to send a message to certain countries. "Do what we want or we can do this to your telecom system:"
A few missles would take care of any ability to connect to satellites and a few more cut cables would take care of the rest of it. IMO the message was sent and the ME received it loud and clear.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
If you rely on mainstream media articles for confirmation of your beliefs...well, I feel sorry for you. I guarantee you my line of work (internet/telecom) is more closely related to these types of issues than yours. My job deals with monitoring global telecom connectivity issues like this. The industry forums I've been discussing this on (before coming here) give me the feeling this could not have been an accident.

I'm not at all your typical tin-foil hat wearer...my belief that this was no accident is based on what the experts are saying and history.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Oh and if you doubt the geological activity in this region, please read here:

You're kidding, right?

I don't doubt 'geological activity in the region'. But I do doubt geological activity is the cause of 4 separate cable cuts in 4 separate areas within three days of each other. (Oh, and lets not forget the poor missing tsunami buoy.
...also specifically identified as intentional.)

Moreover, have you seen the geologic activity for the past week in the affected areas?

I have.
Link.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberSEAL
I'm not at all your typical tin-foil hat wearer...my belief that this was no accident is based on what the experts are saying and history.

Precisely.

Someone wanted these cut.

The question becomes why?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join